Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Your Status from a Tourist to an E2 Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oogley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Changing Your Status from a Tourist to an E2 Visa Reply with quote

Apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

I seem to remember that if you came to Korea as a tourist, found a job, and needed to change your status to an E2 visa, you only had to leave Korea (say, go to Japan or China) for a short time. However, an acquaintance recently told me that this was no longer the case, that you actually had to go back to your country of origin to get an E2 visa. Can anyone clarify this for me?

If the former is true and you can go to Japan or China to change to an E2 visa, does anyone know how long this process typically takes?

Thanks in advance for the help!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Your Status from a Tourist to an E2 Visa Reply with quote

oogley wrote:
Apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

I seem to remember that if you came to Korea as a tourist, found a job, and needed to change your status to an E2 visa, you only had to leave Korea (say, go to Japan or China) for a short time. However, an acquaintance recently told me that this was no longer the case, that you actually had to go back to your country of origin to get an E2 visa. Can anyone clarify this for me?

If the former is true and you can go to Japan or China to change to an E2 visa, does anyone know how long this process typically takes?

Thanks in advance for the help!

If you are in as a tourist

AND

are qualified for an E2 (come from one of the "approved" 7 countries and have a degree from one of those same "7")

AND

have all the relevant documentation for a visa confirmation application with you (certified true copy of your degree with an apostille and national CBC from your home country with an apostille)...

then your employer can apply for a visa confirmation number.

AFTER he gets the the visa confirmation number from immigration and gives it to you then you can do a visa run to Japan, Guam, Thailand, the Philippines or Hong Kong.

The length of time to do a visa run varies from overnight processing in the case of Osaka/Fukuoka to 4 working days in Manila and up to 5 working days in Hong Kong or Tokyo.

You cannot get an E2 in mainland China unless you are legally resident there.

oogley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought doing a "visa run" was an option at one time but wasn't sure if that was still the case. Thanks for clarifying this, ttompatz. Also the estimated time each run can take is really helpful information. Appreciate it!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "visa run" option for 1st time E2 applicants was discontinued for 2 years (2008-2010) and home country consular interviews were often required.

It changed again in Dec. 2010 to again allow "visa runs" for 1st time applicants.

Those with prior E2s have always had the option of a visa run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: