Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E2 Policy Change For People Who Graduated Abroad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dluna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: E2 Policy Change For People Who Graduated Abroad Reply with quote

Hai Guyz~

I just want to give everyone a heads up (Americans/Canadians), I am an American citizen, but I graduated in Canada. The Korean Immigration office changed their policy, so now not only do I have to get a background check from the States, but I also have to get one from Canada. I started my background check process early this year, so that when my old contract was complete, my documents would be ready to go for the next. Anyways, I was about to sign for a job, when the school got back to me asking for my Canadian background check. WHAT!?!?!?!? Guess how long it takes for that to be processed? 9 WEEKS if you sending it in from outside of Canada!

The silly thing is, because the USA and Canada share information on citizens, I'm sure my FBI check would have picked up any activity from Canada, and not only that, how on Earth could have I finished my degree, if I had a criminal record in Canada? I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the boot from Canada.

So let this be a lesson. IF YOU HAVE STUDIED AND GRADUATED ABROAD, GET THE DANG BACKGROUND CHECK FROM THAT COUNTRY AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR PROCESS. it seems Korean immigration, is becoming stricter with their screening process.

Anyone else have similar stories?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that's an Immigration policy or is it something the school dreamed up?
dluna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's a dream, but I heard it from, the school, recruiter and immigration office in Seoul. I'll let you know... On the phone with immigration now, as I have learned directly from FBI today that FBI would actually pull records from Canada
dluna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just got off the phone Evil or Very Mad and basically my argument was "FBI told me that if I had committed a crime in Canada, it would be recorded on my FBI report" Immigration office argument was "Well does it say literally you have no offenses in Canada?" Well no it doesn't, but through logic one could negate that if my FBI report would include crimes committed in Canada, and I have no listed crimes, then I haven't committed a crime there. NOPE! It has to literally state that Question Question Question Question Question
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it looks more like the school and some moronic low-level functionary at the local Immigration Office do not know what they're talking about. In other words, they are making up requirements. If I were you, I'd call the Immigration HQ in Seoul.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth the hassle?

When I came I just came, I'd never come nowadays, too much hassle for the money.

I really wish some people would say, okay, screw it, I'm not coming. Then maybe these boneheads would get real.
dluna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Okay, it looks more like the school and some moronic low-level functionary at the local Immigration Office do not know what they're talking about. In other words, they are making up requirements. If I were you, I'd call the Immigration HQ in Seoul.

Yeah, unfortunately that was immigration HQ in Seoul. I bet if I got a job offer, and got the visa in the States, the probably wouldn't ask for a Canadian CBC.

@Daddy: It's like the topic form the debates last night. Seeing as the Korean government wants English teachers out by 2014, maybe they are practicing self deportation, making it so hard to enter the country, no one wants to go through with it anymore.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call them back and ask, "What specific provision of the law/regulation is it that requires me to have a background check from somewhere other than my own country?"
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dluna wrote:
CentralCali wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately that was immigration HQ in Seoul. I bet if I got a job offer, and got the visa in the States, the probably wouldn't ask for a Canadian CBC.

@Daddy: It's like the topic form the debates last night. Seeing as the Korean government wants English teachers out by 2014, maybe they are practicing self deportation, making it so hard to enter the country, no one wants to go through with it anymore.

Oh when was that policy of no foreign teachers by 2014 announced?

As for the rest, I agree wtih Cali. Follow his advice.
dluna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oh when was that policy of no foreign teachers by 2014 announced?

As for the rest, I agree wtih Cali. Follow his advice.[/quote]
http://news.naver.com/main/hotissue/read.nhn?mid=hot&sid1=102&gid=338450&cid=307180&iid=12552453&oid=055&aid=0000217954&ptype=011
use google translate.... but I think there are budget cuts in talks to phase out 2014... Ya'll can correct me if i'm wrong.
goreality

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I think there are budget cuts in talks to phase out 2014... Ya'll can correct me if i'm wrong.

You are wrong. There is no plan, it's speculation and rumors. If anything they are just saying that by 2014 there will be enough foreign English teacher positions, it will be at replacement level, no new positions will be created. There isn't even an education minister in Seoul at the moment to make these decisions, let alone a government body with the authority to control every public school in the country. Even if it was to be announced, parents would be pissed off, the decision maker would lose his job. The only way to do it would be last minute and very quickly, but again that decision wouldn't go over well either and would just be overturned. Most foreigners I know working in public schools are extremely popular and well liked by the students and their parents, the administration staff, and the other teachers. It seems the only people who don't like them in general are nut jobs, racists, people with no direct stake in Korea's education system, and people who feel they are in competition with them.
dluna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goreality wrote:
Quote:
but I think there are budget cuts in talks to phase out 2014... Ya'll can correct me if i'm wrong.

You are wrong. There is no plan, it's speculation and rumors. If anything they are just saying that by 2014 there will be enough foreign English teacher positions, it will be at replacement level, no new positions will be created. There isn't even an education minister in Seoul at the moment to make these decisions, let alone a government body with the authority to control every public school in the country. Even if it was to be announced, parents would be pissed off, the decision maker would lose his job. The only way to do it would be last minute and very quickly, but again that decision wouldn't go over well either and would just be overturned. Most foreigners I know working in public schools are extremely popular and well liked by the students and their parents, the administration staff, and the other teachers. It seems the only people who don't like them in general are nut jobs, racists, people with no direct stake in Korea's education system, and people who feel they are in competition with them.

But what about what's stated here "In its budget for 2012, the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education cut about W4 billion..." It still seems like there has to be a board of education to make decisions, otherwise things would be kinda chaotic no?
dluna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in the end this new policy is true. My documents were denied because I did not have a CRC from Canada.
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Process Reply with quote

At what part of the process were you denied? Visa Issuance Number, or Visa from a consulate?
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, go back to your home country and get a job there. I just can't understand why people jump through so many hoops to be treated like dog excrement in this country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: