Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F4, waiting on my FBI CBC. will an arrest dq me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucla_kyopo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: F4, waiting on my FBI CBC. will an arrest dq me? Reply with quote

First time poster, looking for a change of pace in Korea. go easy on me.

I realize that this topic has been discussed fairly extensively but from what I've read, I haven't seen a definitive answer as to whether an arrest but no conviction will automatically disqualify me from teaching english in korea. I was arrested for a hit and run where i felt threatened and drove to the local police station. After reviewing my case, the DA eventually dropped the charges. I recently submitted my prints for the FBI CBC and am fairly certain it will show up. Given that I'm an F4, I'm wondering if I will be barred from teaching in Korea (public schools, i'm already assuming, are out of the question). Is there a hard and fast rule or is a more discretionary if there is a mark on my background check and I've applied to a hagwon. Any info from recruiters or hagwon employees in similar situations would be greatly appreciated.

Also wondering if this rule applies to all work in Korea. I have a background in software engineering so I wouldn't mind working in my regular field. Does anyone know if non teaching jobs also require a clean FBI CBC? Any info on that process would be greatly appreciated as well.
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: F4, waiting on my FBI CBC. will an arrest dq me? Reply with quote

ucla_kyopo wrote:
First time poster, looking for a change of pace in Korea. go easy on me.

I realize that this topic has been discussed fairly extensively but from what I've read, I haven't seen a definitive answer as to whether an arrest but no conviction will automatically disqualify me from teaching english in korea. I was arrested for a hit and run where i felt threatened and drove to the local police station. After reviewing my case, the DA eventually dropped the charges. I recently submitted my prints for the FBI CBC and am fairly certain it will show up. Given that I'm an F4, I'm wondering if I will be barred from teaching in Korea (public schools, i'm already assuming, are out of the question). Is there a hard and fast rule or is a more discretionary if there is a mark on my background check and I've applied to a hagwon. Any info from recruiters or hagwon employees in similar situations would be greatly appreciated.

Until you get it, you don't know. If there is something, you may want to look into getting your record expunged or pardoned. Check with a lawyer in the state the accident happened. It might take some money and time.

Another alternative later, class is starting.

Quote:
Also wondering if this rule applies to all work in Korea. I have a background in software engineering so I wouldn't mind working in my regular field. Does anyone know if non teaching jobs also require a clean FBI CBC? Any info on that process would be greatly appreciated as well.

No it does not, The CRC only really matters when certain fields of work ask for it. Mainly hagwon, public school, and kindy teachers. I think you would be find with software work.
ucla_kyopo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the MOE has a hard and fast rule and hagwons have no say in it? I guess i need to wait and see what shows up.

does this rule apply to teaching adults as well?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ucla_kyopo wrote:
so the MOE has a hard and fast rule and hagwons have no say in it? I guess i need to wait and see what shows up.

does this rule apply to teaching adults as well?

As of last year (when the law was passed and implementation begun) it applies to ALL MOE licensed, approved, supervised or monitored places of instruction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: