Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April Positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duckiedoodle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: April Positions Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This board has been a great resource and I want to try picking its collective brain for the first time. I have two questions.

1) I have a friend getting married the first weekend of April and I would really like to be in the US for her wedding and all the festivities leading up to it. I have been perusing the job listing here and on Craigslist and almost everything seems to be starting in March. I was hoping maybe recruiters might have a few with a later start date up there sleeve? In y'all's general experience have there been openings in April?

2) My whole year of post certification teaching experience (I am soooo qualified I say sarcastically) is with an international school. I would really like to stick with that as I am a career teacher and I enjoy having one class and teaching them everything. It is why I became an elementary teacher. I have not seen many postings that fall under this category. Is there anywhere specific I should be looking?

Neither of these things are sticking points and I will take what I can get but I would really love to know if what I want is possible. Thanks in advance. I will be asking recruiters this but I want to wait to pester them again until after I get my CRC back from the State Department. From what I have gathered it is better to have everything in hand, right? Also, I got my CRC back from the FBI in less than a month. Is this some sort of miracle or is turn around time getting faster?
cheolsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a qualified teacher with international school experience, stick to looking for those, wherever those schools may be. You might find second semester jobs at international schools (or would that be a new school year in September?) easier to get.

Any job you get starting in April in this country will almost certainly be at a hagwon. While you would be far more likely to work with small groups of students rather than rotating through two dozen classes at a public school, it would also be a step down for you. Well, a public school would also be a step down for you.

I would shoot for international schools in the fall and, in the meantime, find whatever work you can, wherever you can. It could be a short-term (1-2 months) camp here in the summer, for example.
ontheway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: April Positions Reply with quote

duckiedoodle wrote:
Hello everyone,

This board has been a great resource and I want to try picking its collective brain for the first time. I have two questions.

1) I have a friend getting married the first weekend of April and I would really like to be in the US for her wedding and all the festivities leading up to it. I have been perusing the job listing here and on Craigslist and almost everything seems to be starting in March. I was hoping maybe recruiters might have a few with a later start date up there sleeve? In y'all's general experience have there been openings in April?

2) My whole year of post certification teaching experience (I am soooo qualified I say sarcastically) is with an international school. I would really like to stick with that as I am a career teacher and I enjoy having one class and teaching them everything. It is why I became an elementary teacher. I have not seen many postings that fall under this category. Is there anywhere specific I should be looking?

Neither of these things are sticking points and I will take what I can get but I would really love to know if what I want is possible. Thanks in advance. I will be asking recruiters this but I want to wait to pester them again until after I get my CRC back from the State Department. From what I have gathered it is better to have everything in hand, right? Also, I got my CRC back from the FBI in less than a month. Is this some sort of miracle or is turn around time getting faster?

Let's see: You are still waiting on documents - you got the CBC but you're waiting for the apostile. Do you have your diploma ready with apostile? You haven't contacted recruiters yet, don't have a job yet?

You should have no trouble with the wedding in April. After your documents arrive, you will contact recruiters. Hopefully they will have some interviews for you for jobs in the near future, there are still more teachers available than jobs. If you get some interviews, you'll have to do well enough to get an offer. Eventually you will get an offer somewhere. They will email a contract for you to consider. You might want to post it in the Contract Review thread. If it's a good offer you will accept. Then you send in your documents for processing. That will take at least two or three weeks. Then you will get your Visa Issuance Number so you can go to a Korean consulate or embassy to get your visa in your passport. You will be lucky to accomplish all of this by early April. So, getting a job and all documents completed so that you can come ASAP most likely means well after the wedding.

Finding a job at an International school is another matter. There are few positions and fierce competition. You might want to work somewhere while you search.
danniedoodles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckiedoodle - i am having a similar dilemma. i want to leave april 1 but all of the recruiters are pushing for march. i am only waiting on the apostille for my crc now. at one point i was told that i would be unable to join march 1 intake unless i had ALL of my visa paperwork ready to go by the end of january. since i'm still waiting for my apostille i'm cutting it close. i could possibly leave in march but i prefer april so i'm sort of stuck with what to do. i havent had to make any big decisions yet - but i feel u with the pressure of the march intake.

so - paperwork wise - make sure you have it all ready a little over a month before you want to go. and, imho, if you get an AWESOME offer - maybe just take it and skype in on the wedding for awhile? i know weddings are important but u wouldnt want to turn a great job offer down either....
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: April Positions Reply with quote

duckiedoodle wrote:
Hello everyone,

1) language academies (hagwons) hire year round. There are always jobs but as a certified teacher you will probably very quickly become disenchanted with hagwon life.

2) If you are a certified teacher (education degree, state license, endorsements) then get your head out of ESL/EFL. You do not want to be an assistant to a Korean teacher in a public school.

Look for regular teaching jobs in places like:
http://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/
http://www.ibo.org/ (look for individual schools and not apply to IBO).
http://www.tieonline.com/
http://www.searchassociates.com/
http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/

and you do want to be an English teacher then look at :
http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=1300&langno=1
(depending on your qualifications $3k-$5k + benefits)
or public school jobs in Taiwan (starting at about US$3000/mo + benefits).

duckiedoodle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much to everyone that replied. My documents should be done by the end of Jan. The degree isn't done but it is just a day trip for me to get it done. I am a state certified teacher with an education degree. I also have the added factor of a boyfriend who follows me about and has to be out of the US for work purposes. That sounds very sketch doesn't it? I have currently returned to the US to work (waitressing) and it is tough being apart so I was hoping to not have to wait for the Sept round of international schools hiring. I picked the last place we lived so I was letting him pick this one but I have talked to him and we are just going to look at what is best for my career. With easy visa requirements for him of course. I really appreciate the links ttompatz. All of the advice was really thoughtful. It is great that people are willing to give of their time to help answer what is probably the same questions over and over =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: