Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anybody actually LIKE how Koreans roll?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NYC_Gal 2.0



Joined: 10 Dec 2010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
I had a tailor/dry cleaner, 24-hour convenience store, gym, and a pedicure shop in my building in NYC. This is not particularly South Korean.

Well, it is if you live in a city of 250,000 people like I do. Of course these services will be common in biggest city in the USA, but how about in a place like Wichita, Kansas?


Of course in or near Seoul, more city conveniences are available, but if you move to Gangwando, it's the same as Wichita.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lucas



Joined: 11 Sep 2012

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+'s

Less fat people than in the UK.

Almost no car crime, and MUCH lower crime rate (generally across the board) compared to the UK. Plus (again generally) if you do a serious crime here chances are you are going to jail, unlike the silly UK! - I hate Ken Clarke soooo much btw!

Fairer tax rate.

Less chavvy people.

Shops open later.

Brill public transport - and ticket prices are always the same!

Koreans get things done. Sure they might @#@%$ it up two/three times on the way BUT it gets done! - in the UK people like talking too much. No we can't build a new airport that will provide 20,000 new jobs ect ect because we found a newt in a puddle!

Koreans look after NO 1 first (Korean's)

Internet speeds - say no more!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-ve's

The look the other way mentality in Korea (huge generalization) but I think you're average UK person would be more likely to confront/say something if they see something that they felt was wrong - example a guy slapping his g/f - some passing racist bitchy comment.

Queue jumping! We brits for the best queue's in the world, wait your turn!

Korean's (generally) shocking driving ability.

We all know Korean mothers 'love their children sooooo much' - so why don't you MAKE little min ju wear their ffffffing seat belt!

Confucian society meaning a younger person feels unable to tell an older person that they are doing something wrong/stupid. And IF they do the older persons reaction - Embarassed

Koreans obsession with 'looks' /size of heads/ blood types/ ect...

Korean's lack of planning/forethought - just do it ( ^ also a +ve compared to the UK)

Chaebol's grip over everything from house building to apples!

Lots of Koreanís people views on other Asian countries and of course black people!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Threequalseven



Joined: 08 May 2012

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Threequalseven wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
I had a tailor/dry cleaner, 24-hour convenience store, gym, and a pedicure shop in my building in NYC. This is not particularly South Korean.

Well, it is if you live in a city of 250,000 people like I do. Of course these services will be common in biggest city in the USA, but how about in a place like Wichita, Kansas?


Of course in or near Seoul, more city conveniences are available, but if you move to Gangwando, it's the same as Wichita.

I've never been to Gangwondo, but I don't live anywhere near Seoul either. I live in Mokpo, Jeollanam-do which has roughly 250,000 people - a bit smaller than Wichita by total population (~380,000). Yet the density is comparable to any major city. So the availability of services here is fantastic for a city its size.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goreality



Joined: 09 Jul 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans are very sensitive about copyright specially when it involves stealing Korean stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NYC_Gal 2.0



Joined: 10 Dec 2010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Threequalseven wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
I had a tailor/dry cleaner, 24-hour convenience store, gym, and a pedicure shop in my building in NYC. This is not particularly South Korean.

Well, it is if you live in a city of 250,000 people like I do. Of course these services will be common in biggest city in the USA, but how about in a place like Wichita, Kansas?


Of course in or near Seoul, more city conveniences are available, but if you move to Gangwando, it's the same as Wichita.

I've never been to Gangwondo, but I don't live anywhere near Seoul either. I live in Mokpo, Jeollanam-do which has roughly 250,000 people - a bit smaller than Wichita by total population (~380,000). Yet the density is comparable to any major city. So the availability of services here is fantastic for a city its size.


Again: city life. A small city, sure, but it's densely populated, with people crammed into apartments, rather than spread out in houses. Try Gangwando one of these days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hiamnotcool



Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are exceptions to all of these but this is what I like...

1. There isn't some unrealistic concept of "responsible drinking" if they are drinking it's a mess, and that was the intention from the beginning.
2. The humor is great, I'm a sarcastic and self-deprecating guy so I can relate to it. It's also not just toilet and sexual humor, which seems to be all westerners can drum up these days.
3. Kids are allowed to be kids and have unrealistic optimism
4. Bettering yourself is encouraged, you can pick up a new skill at an old age and even if you are terrible the effort is admired
5. Intelligence isn't solely defined by whether or not your opinions fall in line with those of everyone else. If you can perform academically people will consider your a smart person, regardless of whether or not you agree with their political or religious beliefs.
6. Traveling is encouraged and considered a worthy pursuit.
7. Affordable, stylish clothes can be found here if you look hard enough. The effort you put into grooming yourself is valued over how much you spent on your clothes.
8. Everything is negotiable (that is a pro and a con, but at times it is a MAJOR pro)
9. The misguided effort to accommodate foreigners can be endearing at times
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cronolegs



Joined: 01 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean drinking culture is cool, but how many of you actually have Korean friends and are able to get involved in this culture?
I for one have tried and failed to make Korean friends who would consider me close enough to bring along to one of their restaurant parties.
So I just observe and think "that looks like fun".

Maybe it is the foreigner teaching drinking culture in Korea that is good?



I enjoy having a motorbike down here in Ulsan. I used to be Incheon and considered it too dangerous. Now in Ulsan I drive eveywhere and love the freedom.
The driving might be of a shit standard but the roads and cars go slowly here, even on highways.... compared to the UK where it really would be suicide to have a motorbike.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Newbie



Joined: 07 Feb 2003

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:

1. There isn't some unrealistic concept of "responsible drinking" if they are drinking it's a mess, and that was the intention from the beginning.
2. The humor is great, I'm a sarcastic and self-deprecating guy so I can relate to it. It's also not just toilet and sexual humor, which seems to be all westerners can drum up these days.
3. Kids are allowed to be kids and have unrealistic optimism
4. Bettering yourself is encouraged, you can pick up a new skill at an old age and even if you are terrible the effort is admired
5. Intelligence isn't solely defined by whether or not your opinions fall in line with those of everyone else. If you can perform academically people will consider your a smart person, regardless of whether or not you agree with their political or religious beliefs.
6. Traveling is encouraged and considered a worthy pursuit.


Shocked Shocked

It's funny how completely different people's perceptions of Korea can be. When I started reading this list I thought you were just trying to be a jerk by pointing out things that are SO FAR from being what Koreans are about. But them I realized you were being honest. Shocked

Things I like:

1. Safety
2. Cost of living seems cheaper than Toronto.
3. Cheap Taxis.
4. Really, really nice Koreans who bend over backwards for you. (yes, I agree there are a lot of nationalistic, racist jerks, but man... there are some unbelievably nice people)
5. Discipline in the youth. Kids who do what they're told.
6. Drinking culture.
7. Food... when you don't have to eat it every day.
8. I like the bows, two hands on a glass, two hand hand-shakes, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Died By Bear



Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: On the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the 'great' things people say they love about Korea, the few things I love about being home are:

Driving my own wheels again
SALES wonderful, beautiful SALES all the time (and plenty to go around, never mobbed by hordes of Koreans)

..and of course, plenty of great, diverse restaurants that take customer service seriously.

Oh wait, Happy Hour!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eventually



Joined: 30 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Threequalseven wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Threequalseven wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
I had a tailor/dry cleaner, 24-hour convenience store, gym, and a pedicure shop in my building in NYC. This is not particularly South Korean.

Well, it is if you live in a city of 250,000 people like I do. Of course these services will be common in biggest city in the USA, but how about in a place like Wichita, Kansas?


Of course in or near Seoul, more city conveniences are available, but if you move to Gangwando, it's the same as Wichita.

I've never been to Gangwondo, but I don't live anywhere near Seoul either. I live in Mokpo, Jeollanam-do which has roughly 250,000 people - a bit smaller than Wichita by total population (~380,000). Yet the density is comparable to any major city. So the availability of services here is fantastic for a city its size.


Again: city life. A small city, sure, but it's densely populated, with people crammed into apartments, rather than spread out in houses. Try Gangwando one of these days.


i live in "ri," what is considered a village, and am within walking distance of many wonderful things (norebangs, restaurants, bars, internet cafes, etc) and have access to intercity public transportation in lots of places near or even right in front of my apartment...i can walk down a few blocks and catch a bus to seoul fairly easily and cheaply.

yes, korea IS compact. that's the point. that's what we like, as opposed to the US...

so what is gangwangdo? what's the population? i think a reasonable comparison is similar population.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kinship



Joined: 24 Jan 2013

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anybody actually LIKE how Koreans roll?


I have always felt that they rolled like any other people when pushed down a hill. Smile

I find Koreans to be like the people of any other nation. Some good, some bad. When expats ask this type of question I always wonder what they are expecting when they first arrive. Do they think Korea is some utopia where all the problems of their home country do not exist...?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One common thing amongst the "likes" seems to be drinking.

It's funny, that's actually something I dislike here.




But as previously mentioned, it's all dependant on where ya come from and where your interests lie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hiamnotcool



Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:

1. There isn't some unrealistic concept of "responsible drinking" if they are drinking it's a mess, and that was the intention from the beginning.
2. The humor is great, I'm a sarcastic and self-deprecating guy so I can relate to it. It's also not just toilet and sexual humor, which seems to be all westerners can drum up these days.
3. Kids are allowed to be kids and have unrealistic optimism
4. Bettering yourself is encouraged, you can pick up a new skill at an old age and even if you are terrible the effort is admired
5. Intelligence isn't solely defined by whether or not your opinions fall in line with those of everyone else. If you can perform academically people will consider your a smart person, regardless of whether or not you agree with their political or religious beliefs.
6. Traveling is encouraged and considered a worthy pursuit.


Shocked Shocked

It's funny how completely different people's perceptions of Korea can be. When I started reading this list I thought you were just trying to be a jerk by pointing out things that are SO FAR from being what Koreans are about. But them I realized you were being honest. Shocked

Things I like:

1. Safety
2. Cost of living seems cheaper than Toronto.
3. Cheap Taxis.
4. Really, really nice Koreans who bend over backwards for you. (yes, I agree there are a lot of nationalistic, racist jerks, but man... there are some unbelievably nice people)
5. Discipline in the youth. Kids who do what they're told.
6. Drinking culture.
7. Food... when you don't have to eat it every day.
8. I like the bows, two hands on a glass, two hand hand-shakes, etc.


Yeah I can definitely see how you might feel like that, but just refer to number 5 on your list. When I meet the friendly people here I usually keep in touch with them, as a result I've developed some good lasting relationships here. One thing I've noticed about Korea is the nice people don't seem to seek out foreigners as much as the racist idiots do. The good people usually have enough going on in their lives not to worry about what we are doing. I don't consider the nice people the exception here, from my experience they have been the norm. I try to avoid the idiots. I could make a list of negatives too but that isn't the topic of the thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NYC_Gal 2.0



Joined: 10 Dec 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eventually wrote:

i live in "ri," what is considered a village, and am within walking distance of many wonderful things (norebangs, restaurants, bars, internet cafes, etc) and have access to intercity public transportation in lots of places near or even right in front of my apartment...i can walk down a few blocks and catch a bus to seoul fairly easily and cheaply.

yes, korea IS compact. that's the point. that's what we like, as opposed to the US...

so what is gangwangdo? what's the population? i think a reasonable comparison is similar population.


Yes, but there are plenty of cities, such as my home city, that have all of those things. That's my point.

My friend lives in Gangwando. She has to ride her bike for 5 minutes just to get to town to buy milk. Bars? Only hofs are available. There's more to Korea than just cities, just as (inversely) there's more to the US than podunk towns.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DejaVu



Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Location: Your dreams

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A funny thing I've noticed:

We can find so many negative things to say about Korean people when generalizing -and I'm not claiming that there's anything wrong with generalizing if we recognize the downfalls.

However, when we give positive remarks, it's mostly just things and not people.

At least this is what I see as this is all I can do as well.

Maybe it's difficult because negative things are usually culturally based whereas nice people are pretty similar across nations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International