Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I legally committed at this point?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewey588

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Am I legally committed at this point? Reply with quote

Thanks for reading. I could really use your help.

I have been offered a TESL position found through a recruiter at a Hogwan. I recently discovered that the living conditions to be provided at this Hogwan have changed and are very poor. Many of the current foreign teachers are seeking employment elsewhere and taking this position now seems like a very bad decision.

I have been offered a position and have signed my portion of the contract. I have not, however, received a completed copy of the contract with the employer�s signature. The employer is waiting for me to send my FBI background check to my recruiter so the visa process can begin.

Can I opt out of the contract at this time? If I do, can any legal action be taken against me? Can I still seek employment at another Hagwon?

Thank you most kindly for your help!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I legally committed at this point? Reply with quote

dewey588 wrote:
Thanks for reading. I could really use your help.

I have been offered a TESL position found through a recruiter at a Hogwan. I recently discovered that the living conditions to be provided at this Hogwan have changed and are very poor. Many of the current foreign teachers are seeking employment elsewhere and taking this position now seems like a very bad decision.

I have been offered a position and have signed my portion of the contract. I have not, however, received a completed copy of the contract with the employer�s signature. The employer is waiting for me to send my FBI background check to my recruiter so the visa process can begin.

Can I opt out of the contract at this time? If I do, can any legal action be taken against me? Can I still seek employment at another Hagwon?

Thank you most kindly for your help!

If they do not have your documentation (still waiting for the CBC) then feel free to "not submit the required documents" and look elsewhere.

Do be aware that they are unlikely to return any documents that you have already sent (degree copy).

If they have nothing other than the contract you are fine to start again with a new recruiter. (your old reciter will likely issue a lot of idle threats and refuse to work with you because now he won't get paid).

tremault

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've signed the contract, then you have agreed to be legally bound by the terms contained within it.
As such, failure to adhere to the arrangement will leave you liable under the terms.
If the other party believes that you were not responsible for the failure to meet the requirements of the contract, then they will be unlikely to seek restitution. On the other hand, if they believe you wilfully broke the terms that you already agreed to, they may seek to impose a penalty on you under the contract terms. possibly recovery of losses etc.
You might come across some trouble in the future.

If your contract gives a promise of a certain standard of living conditions, then you can claim the contract is breached. If the contract gives no promise of a certain standard of living, then you really don't have much of a case in that regard.
It doesn't mean that you ought not feel like you have been dealt a bad hand, but the signing of a contract is a legally binding agreement.
any recourse to be had must satisfy the terms of the contract unless you want trouble.

This is just my logical view on it though. People may have experienced different things occurring.
ontheway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite. While it's true that you have signed a contract, so you are breaking that contract, you can only be sued for actual damages - not for penalties.

Your school has an obligation to mitigate any damages before they seek any remedies. The school has time, and a duty if they still need a teacher, to contract with another teacher - there is a surplus of available teachers now - and proceed with a contract and documents from the new teacher. In your case, since you haven't sent any documents yet, they will be able to obtain a new teacher in the same amount of time, so the school will have essentially zero damages - certainly not enough to sue about.

Be sure to notify the recruiter that you are not able to send your documents and will not be available to take this job. You can say that you are sorry, but there is no need to explain any further, and it won't help anyway.

You will need to start over with a new recruiter after this. Be careful and be as sure as you can before you sign your next contract. Good luck.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't send them you documents then they can't start the visa process, so you're in the clear. Recruiters bail on teachers all the time when they get a better applicant or when it turns out that they job they offered you wasn't actually available. Don't feel bad about turning them down.

If you had send in the docs, then it would be a different story. Not because it's illegal to cancel on them (that's perfectly legal) but because you can't get two visa issuance numbers at the same time. The first one has to either expire or be used before immigration will issue another one.

You're in the clear. Don't worry.
cincynate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you've signed the contract, then you have agreed to be legally bound by the terms contained within it.

True, but Korea is an employment at will country, and no contract can supercede Korean Law, which states that you have a right to quit an any time and for any reason. Regardless of what the contract states, you are not required to give any notice, and you cannot be penalized.

PLUS.. the contract is not enforcable until you have signed it on Korean soil (which is why they ask you to sign your contract again when you arrive).

So.. they cannot seek any remedies against you for any reason.
ontheway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cincynate wrote:
Quote:

True, but Korea is an employment at will country, and no contract can supercede Korean Law, which states that you have a right to quit an any time and for any reason. Regardless of what the contract states, you are not required to give any notice, and you cannot be penalized.

PLUS.. the contract is not enforcable until you have signed it on Korean soil (which is why they ask you to sign your contract again when you arrive).

So.. they cannot seek any remedies against you for any reason.

Labor laws do NOT preclude suits for damages. If your breach of contract causes damage to an employer you can be sued and you can be ordered to pay damages.

Automatic penalties are prohibited by labor law. Damage awards are not. If you damage your employer they can seek remedies under contract law.

The case of the OP will likely not generate any damages, so no suit would be possible.

Further, the contract becomes binding when signed unless there is another date in the contract that specifies when it becomes binding. It does not have to be signed again on Korean soil. That's silly nonsense.

If your contact requires notice, you can of course quit and leave since you are not a slave. If, however, you damage the school you can be sued and forced to pay damages. However, most schools can replace a teacher with another, or double up on classes, so no damage occurs. The school is required to mitigate damages, so in most cases the damages are minor or none at all. Don't be confused by the uninformed posters above. If you damage your employer you can be sued and forced to pay. There is nothing in labor law that precludes damage awards.
FastForward

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the original post he stated that he never received a copy of the contract back with the school's signature as well. So would the contract still be binding at this point? Since only he signed it and never received anything back?

I'm also in the same situation and would like to know.
FastForward

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastForward wrote:
In the original post he stated that he never received a copy of the contract back with the school's signature as well. So would the contract still be binding at this point? Since only he signed it and never received anything back?

Also, I have had were I signed a contract sent it to the recruiter and was told everything is good to go. One week later I was informed that they hired someone else and would not longer be needing me. Seems like they can do it to us, with no penalties.

I'm also in the same situation and would like to know.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many people in this thread who sound like they are parroting what they read in a first year law textbook but are unacquainted with the realities of working as a foreigner in Korea. Both parties are guaranteed nothing by a signed contract before immigration approves it along with your other documents.
newb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
There are too many people in this thread who sound like they are parroting what they read in a first year law textbook but are unacquainted with the realities of working as a foreigner in Korea. Both parties are guaranteed nothing by a signed contract before immigration approves it along with your other documents.

I agree. It's too funny. Laughing
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your employer is breaching the contract with bad living conditions. Teachers bail on rotten employers all the time, and find better jobs. In fact why not go to Korea with plenty of spare documents (CBC, Apostilled degree copies) and if you really don't like a teaching job after a few months because of crap, then take your extra cash and since your already in Korea find a better job. That is generally the way it is done in Korea anyway. Your school is more than likely not to care about thier end of the bargain anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: