Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The only good foreigner....is a 'new' foreigner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
I received an email from a recruiter just yesterday. As I have several years teaching experience at public schools he's having difficulty placing me. His email said, "as you know most employers prefer teachers with less experience."

There it is. Right from the horse's mouth. Confused

If a recruiter said it, then it's from the horse's other end.

(...not trying to discredit what the recruit said, as that end can speak truth, too.)
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
3) The problem lies in the simple fact that far too many who stay at the entry level think they are somehow worth more than the newbie who is coming in. The truth is that, to the employer, they are not. They perform the same job, generate the same revenue (in the case of a hagwon) or use up the same resources (PS) while delivering the same content.

Not true. Employers do notice the difference. And the job that a newbie does and an experienced teacher does is not the same. The job description is the same, but not the job they do.

You say teaching in the public schools is entry level? Tell that to the teachers who make/made a career out of teaching in public schools. There are entry level teachers and they get paid accordingly. But there is a pay scale, which is indicative of advancement, based on years of experience as well as the paper credentials that you speak of. And teachers higher on the pay scale are not entry level. If the job were entry level, then all teachers would be paid the same. They are not.

The fact that pay scales have been restructured, disregarded, or that teachers aren't advanced to the higher brackets these days has nothing to do with the job being entry level and you know it.

I'm sorry if you thought teaching was merely classroom appeasement. Maybe teaching wasn't your bag...or just teaching that particular demographic. But there's no need to look down your nose at those of us who opted to stay with these lowly schools.

It's well and good that you moved out of those ranks and into the position you're in now. And if your current job has allowed you to be provide all the helpful visa/immigration information, we are all grateful, for it. But that's not necessarily tantamount to moving up.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching EFL in Korea was never meant to be anything more than a one or two year arrangement. It was never intended to be a career. That, and the Koreans don't want us to stay here forever.
earthquakez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame the Koreans don't understand that at least we are here legally having been recruited because at the base level we need to have a higher degree to work as English teachers.

We pay into the tax system, we support their growing numbers of old people through our health care payments, we contribute to our local areas' tax revenues even though in too many cases outside Seoul there are just about zero services for native English teachers resident in Korea. I've known teachers who lived in rural areas and never heard one Korean employed by the govt speak a word of English to them to help explain something including at Immigration.

I'd love the Korean students in my home city of London and elsewhere in the UK to pay their fair share of tax instead of working illegally in Korean restaurants and Korean 'entertainment' (ahem) rooms, sometimes registering for study and then never turning up at their institution.

In the US there are a surprising number of illegal Koreans who have deliberately overstayed for years, surprising for the fact that Koreans exaggerate about supposed English teacher overstayers when in fact most of these cases (which are a small number) come down to confusion about dates on alien cards etc.

Can Koreans please only stay for a few yrs in other countries and then maybe non Koreans will understand Korean resentments at foreigners working legally and paying taxes in this country.
isitts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
Teaching EFL in Korea was never meant to be anything more than a one or two year arrangement. It was never intended to be a career. That, and the Koreans don't want us to stay here forever.

Pretty sure there are quite a few EFL teachers that have been here longer than one or two years. How come they keep getting rehired if "the Koreans" want them to leave? They don't seem to mind me staying a fourth year. But I take it you're on your way out. Congratulations.

As for the original post, sure schools prefer younger, cheaper teachers. Just economics. That's the current economy for you. But to suggest that peope are getting knocked out of the game because they didn't up their credentials and move into areas where far fewer positions are available is mindless conveyor belt thinking. They could get squeezed out that way, too...as well as lower the value of those positions that they paid so much to be qualified for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: