Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruiter quit her agency & Herald Language Academy Daeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizabethbennet88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Recruiter quit her agency & Herald Language Academy Daeg Reply with quote

I need some info on the abovementioned recruiter and school.

My husband and I accepted a job through ATOP at Herald Language Academy in Daegu. Recently, the recruiter told us that she had to quit at ATOP because the boss was mistreating her and she requested I only communicate with her directly. She had already informed us before all of this that our visa documents were sent to the school. So, her job is basically done. It's just a bit worrisome that there will now be a certain breach of contract between ATOP and the school. I am not sure what to make of this.

If anyone has worked with ATOP or at the Herald Language Academy in Daegu, I would appreciate some comments from you guys.

Thank you in advance.

PS. I changed the heading of the topic so I can get more general responses about the situation and not only the recruiter.

Last edited by elizabethbennet88 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ATOP recruiting and Herald Language Academy Daegu Reply with quote

elizabethbennet88 wrote:
I need some info on the abovementioned recruiter and school.

My husband and I accepted a job through ATOP at Herald Language Academy in Daegu. Recently, the recruiter told us that she had to quit at ATOP because the boss was mistreating her and she requested I only communicate with her directly. She had already informed us before all of this that our visa documents were sent to the school. So, her job is basically done. It's just a bit worrisome that there will now be a certain breach of contract between ATOP and the school. I am not sure what to make of this.

If anyone has worked with ATOP or at the Herald Language Academy in Daegu, I would appreciate some comments from you guys.

Thank you in advance.

I've worked with ATOP (although this was the Busan branch not Daegu and it was a public school job not a hakwon.)

Although I did eventually get the job I found them disorganized and a tad incompetent. Such as asking me repeatedly for documents (which I ended up sending three times) because apparently either the mail service or they kept misplacing them. They also insisted that I didn't need transcripts only to wait until I was in Korea proper to call me and tell me that sorry I DID need transcripts (for the MOE) after all.

Fortunately at this point I was well-aware of the ever changing requirements and had bought along 3-4 new copies of my transcripts "just-in-case". But had I taken their word for it...I would have had a very bad day indeed.
As recruiters go, they weren't the worst...but I will never use them again.
elizabethbennet88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@urbanmyth: Thanks for the reply. I have actually been very happy with my recruiter so far. She has been very helpful, arranging contract ammendments, helping me get in touch with the people living in our future apartment and everything. So, I have only good things to say about the recruiter, the person that is. My worry is about what happens now she has quit her agency.
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the recruiter left her employer and is starting off on her own or at another company and is taking you with her. If you've already get everything lined up and ready to go, and you've been talking with her the whole time, then I'd say just keep going. You don't need/owe any loyalty to anyone or anything other than the job. The recruiter is a tool you use to get the job. Go whatever route you need to get the job you want.
riptombosley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Op did you take the job after all? Reply with quote

Is this the same herald In Seung Seo?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herald Academy?
Make sure you are getting National Health Insurance (as required by law) and not private (virtually worthless) health insurance. Check to make sure you have the NHIC booklet. I've heard very sketchy things about Herald schools. Beware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: