Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying Pets to the US?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njp6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Flying Pets to the US? Reply with quote

So we did a kind of stupid thing. My wife and I booked flights on Hawaiian air only to find out they don't allow pets (we have 2 cats). Has anyone used a pet courier service to the states? Does anyone have a bright idea how to get the cats back without paying an arm and a leg? We'd cancel the flight, but then that would set us back between $100 to 400. Any advice is appreciated.
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cwhospital.com/introduce/hospital.html

This vet help ship tons of pets. It's not cheap though.

Getting set back $100-400 is gonna be cheaper than cargoing your pets. Find a different airline, Delta, United/Cont. Korean air etc... and book your flights.
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cwhospital.com/introduce/hospital.html

There should also be some info here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/526445294042184/?fref=ts

This vet help ship tons of pets. It's not cheap though.

Getting set back $100-400 is gonna be cheaper than cargoing your pets. Find a different airline, Delta, United/Cont. Korean air etc... and book your flights.
mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my former/current coteachers have pets that they have sent home. I think, ultimately, Korean Air is the easiest to ship with because they have a hub here.

One of my coworkers flew United, and while their website touts international pet services, because United doesn't have a hub here, just a small station, they don't actually offer those services. You STILL have to use a cargo service and it's way more than the 250 USD they advertise on their site.

Korean Air, however, only allows a certain number of pets on each flight and has other restrictions like temeprature in the summer time.

BUT as you are flying Hawaiian, I imagine to change your tickets would cost like 500 USD total as there are two of you, so you might as well just save the money and the effort and use that 500 towards a cargo service.

Good luck!
DrugstoreCowgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adopted a shelter dog when I lived in Korea but I was traveling after my contract. I ended up joining a pet sitting/animal shelter group on Facebook and found someone who was going back home shortly before I left. He took my dog with him and only had to pay a small fee to take the dog on the plane with him. You could try to find someone who is going back to the US around the same time as you and see if they will carry your cats with them.
mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats can go under the seats, actually, so that should save you some cash on another airline.
njp6

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info everyone. Our situation is a bit more complicated because we have our 18 month old son. 2 cats and and a toddler-- I believe we will be every travelers' nightmare. This is part of the reason we're looking to get the cats to fly in cargo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: