Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

scrap yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: scrap yards Reply with quote

anyone know what the deal is with scrap yards in korea? im wanting some second hand car/bike parts and was wondering if you can just wander in off the street and ask them? cheers
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Ha, that's awesome somebody here is threading about finding secondhand goods from a scrap yard. I used to work in one (not SK, but our yard sold to SK smelters), and they truly can be a goldmine of sorts. Interesting trade.

Probably would be faster to just find someone who speaks Korean (or yourself if you can), and approach a few over a weekend. I'm sure you could figure that out. Just wanted to give my respects to someone utilizing a scrap yard.

Sorry, can't contribute much.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries. when i grew up, you could fix stuff yourself so we lived off scrap yards for repairing cars. it wasnt unheard of for people to weld two halfs of cars together either... i was sort of hoping it would be the same here. i know that the scrap man will give you 500,000 for an older car and thats more than alot of koreans sell them for, so the scrap yard must be full of a lot of older, runners. (like mine Laughing ).
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you have to be careful when buying used cars here because welding two halves together to make one is not unheard of.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, i have no trouble believing that
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike parts shouldn't be much trouble. I once had a friend write me a note that I took to a junk yard in town asking if I could rummage through their old bikes for parts. They seemed happy to let me do it. Even brought me coffee. I can't promise everywhere will be as accommodating though.

Car parts are probably much harder to come by. Getting a car scrapped here is a lengthy, bureaucratic process due to weird legal concerns with traffic infractions being tied to particular vehicles rather than their owners. It might not be impossible though, can't hurt to try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: