Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is teaching Eng in Korean really like?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neozenha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: What is teaching Eng in Korean really like? Reply with quote

1. Public schools, what are the chances of you teaching a course alone or with a main Korean teacher?

2. How are the teaching structure in Korea?
Like what are the schedules like, what do they learn each day... Is it a standard 5 days a week thing?

3. Do you get like a guide plan on what you're suppose to learn about for the year etc... to prepare them for mid semester and end of year exams?

4. Averagely how many would be in one class? (My questions are mainly based on elementary or kindergarten)

5. How much money would you recommend bringing, to sustain yourself for a month (?) before your salary?

6. Are TEFL or what not courses compulsory?, would you still be able to get a job without one?

7. When people say that... Your rent or your 1 year contract is done by your employer, is EPIK a employer? or is that a program?

8. After 1 year, is it a easy process to renew it for another year and another etc...?

Thanks for replying in advance, I would like to ask more questions as time goes now.

Thanks Smile)
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess taking the time to actually read the stuff that is here on the forum is too time consuming for you?

Perhaps spending a year abroad is also too time consuming? If you don't have the time to look for the information you seek.

Perhaps you are the first newbie to think of these questions?
Perhaps YOUR individual case is so unique that you need it to be examined and personal advice given on each step of the way?

FAQs = Frequently Asked Questions.
It's not like they haven't been asked about 10 times already this month and 10,000 times over the length of the forum.

If you don't have the time to read through the archives (nothing much has really changed in the last 10 years - never mind since last month) then you certainly don't have the time to get on an airplane.

Neozenha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...???
ibeattheborg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neozenha wrote:
...???

Confused? Already? Everything you want to know is on this site. The previous poster recommended reading the FAQs etc and that's a VERY good idea. Use the search option or do a google search of this site like so many of us have done before you.

Last edited by ibeattheborg on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching English in Korea is mindless, boring and makes you want to wish you were doing anything other than it.
BloodySundae

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like your mum then.

Baazinga!
Neozenha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nobody has the decency to help to answer anyways?

Also these posts... What is this, 12 year olds?
flash viego

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Im looking for work as well, and am in the same position as you. I suggest you start reading all the other posts people have. You will learn about what you want to know, and so much more.

Also, just being honest, I think that a prospective English teacher needs to write a little better.

Not that I care, but people on here who take their careers seriously get a bit put off when reading something the way you have written it.

I'm not going to nitpick how you wrote, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Again, I have no problem, and want to help, I'm just thinking that these are the reasons that you are not getting much support thus far.
Neozenha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not like I really care, but I just summarized what I wanted to ask... I'm not writing an essay.
I am just looking for answers.
shamash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What is teaching Eng in Korean really like? Reply with quote

You'll have to ignore almost everyone here. It's really hard to get a good answer other than 'don't come to Korea' on these forums.

Neozenha wrote:
1. Public schools, what are the chances of you teaching a course alone or with a main Korean teacher?
Most public schools will give you a co-teacher for elementary, but maybe not middle school/high school. I think it depends on the class and the school.

2. How are the teaching structure in Korea?
Like what are the schedules like, what do they learn each day... Is it a standard 5 days a week thing?
8 hours a day, 5 days a week. You go through a textbook and are expected to teach _ pages/day.

3. Do you get like a guide plan on what you're suppose to learn about for the year etc... to prepare them for mid semester and end of year exams?
If you teach at a hagwon, "lesson plans"(a few sheets of paper for each class telling you how many pages to do each day, not really a lesson plan) will be provided to you, and you will be expected to get through however many pages of the textbook.

4. Averagely how many would be in one class? (My questions are mainly based on elementary or kindergarten)
Hagwon is usually 10 at the beginning of a semester, which gets down to about 4-7 depending on how many kids quit over the semester.

5. How much money would you recommend bringing, to sustain yourself for a month (?) before your salary?
I came with around 500 USD and made it to my first paycheck, although barely.

6. Are TEFL or what not courses compulsory?, would you still be able to get a job without one?
No. Yes.

7. When people say that... Your rent or your 1 year contract is done by your employer, is EPIK a employer? or is that a program?
EPIK is a program that puts you at public schools throughout Korea. They aren't hiring at the moment. If you want to get a job, you're looking at Hagwons mostly at the moment.

8. After 1 year, is it a easy process to renew it for another year and another etc...?
Yes, although it wasn't always.

Thanks for replying in advance, I would like to ask more questions as time goes now.

Thanks Smile)
busanliving

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you are too lazy to read through the FAQs which will fully answer your questions you expect people to spoon feed you information? Has it not occurred to you we have all written out answers to these questions before?
Neozenha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You go through a textbook and are expected to teach _ pages/day."
Do they not do like speaking or listening?

"If you teach at a hagwon, "lesson plans"(a few sheets of paper for each class telling you how many pages to do each day, not really a lesson plan) will be provided to you, and you will be expected to get through however many pages of the textbook"
My questions is mainly referring to public schools

Do elementary or kindergarten have like exams or tests?

I don't like what I've read about private schools so if I was going to find a job, it would be a public school

busanliving wrote:
Because you are too lazy to read through the FAQs which will fully answer your questions you expect people to spoon feed you information? Has it not occurred to you we have all written out answers to these questions before?

It's called decency to help if you want to help. Link me to the threads of the FAQ, answer the questions, or just don't even post at all. It's that simple. Has it not occurred that you don't need to post if you have nothing good to say?
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is teaching Eng in Korean really like?

Go to Korea and find out. You can read all you want about climbing a mountain, but until you actually do it yourself you will just be working off other people's experiences.

Do you think the people who have enjoyable experiences are going to rush here to share them? Or, are they still in Korea enjoying more experiences?

You are getting skewed replies because people usually come here when they need help with something, not when things are going right.

I suggest you meet Koreans and talk to them about what to do. If you must seek help, go to Itaewon in Seoul and the "Itaewon" of Busan (assuming there is one). Otherwise, forget Western help, immerse yourself in the culture. See how it goes. Leave if and when it doesn't suit you.
busanliving

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's called decency to help if you want to help. Link me to the threads of the FAQ, answer the questions, or just don't even post at all. It's that simple. Has it not occurred that you don't need to post if you have nothing good to say?

You are two lazy to click on the tab that says frequently asked questions?

I have been helpful and answered all of your questions in the past.
shamash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neozenha wrote:
"You go through a textbook and are expected to teach _ pages/day."
Do they not do like speaking or listening?

"If you teach at a hagwon, "lesson plans"(a few sheets of paper for each class telling you how many pages to do each day, not really a lesson plan) will be provided to you, and you will be expected to get through however many pages of the textbook"
My questions is mainly referring to public schools

Do elementary or kindergarten have like exams or tests?

I don't like what I've read about private schools so if I was going to find a job, it would be a public school

busanliving wrote:

They do speaking/listening, but it's all in textbooks. Scripted conversations and such.

English exams aren't until high school, although there may be frivolous "exams" they take earlier on. If you do not have a degree in English or Education, and don't have any experience, it's really tough getting a public school job right now. The programs are downsizing heavily and the current semester just started, so it will be about 6 months until a smaller recruiting season, and a year for a regular one.

There are horror stories with Hagwons, but there are also horror stories with public schools. As long as you get a job with a stable hagwon, you'll be fine. Plenty of people are teaching at hagwons without issue, myself included.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: