Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In desperate need of advice! please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zpeanut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: In desperate need of advice! please! Reply with quote

I got two job offers this week and i need to respond by tomorrow pretty much.

First of all, about me.

- 5yrs experience teaching back home
- MA in app ling

job 1. Hankuk university of foreign studies language institute. 외대어학원.
Offer was through husbands colleagues friend.
Teaching 6 classes a day, each class 50 min. 5 days a week. 1pm to 7pm.
syllabus exists.
Pay is 1.6 million first month then 2 mill from than on. 8 days holiday a year.
About 40 min away from home.

Job 2. Gyeongju Uni
minimum 12 lecture hours a week, no max stated. 4 hrs student consult hrs a week. May be asked to do camps every new and then.
5 days a week, 9-5:45pm.
no class syllabus, mixed level students in classes.
Pay 2.3 mill, includes 8weeks paid holiday.
About 1.3hrs from home.

housing is not an issue for me but gyeongju does offer 300 000 stipend for travel.

Im really confused, there's horror stories about both places.

Money is important but so is my sanity. Id also like to build up my CV, aiming for good uni placement in future.

Gosh....guess thats it. Typed all this with my phone so my heads spinning now....[/list]
PREEST

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.6-2.0 million won is considerably below the average teaching salary for the hours they want from you. 6 hour day but the teaching time is the same as that for a standard 8 hour day. 8 days Holiday? You can usually expect 10..It's not much but it's better than 8...

Are you happy going on camps? I have a friend who has a job that involves that kind of thing, and he's not too keen on it. However it really depends on the person. Getting up early, buses with kids, monitoring kids, no real teaching, probably involves working weekends...Depends what you want really.

Good luck.
watergirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in a big hurry? I have to agree with the above poster, that both of those jobs are not that great. you have really good qualifications and should be able to get a university job, although it's a bit late for university jobs now.
It depends what you wan tI guess.
That University position has very long hours and is not the norm at all.

It especially depends on if you are in Korea or not.

There are still some University jobs I've seen but they seem to be in more remote areas. Typically, Universities don't require 9-5 working days, they merely require 15 teaching hours, maybe a little more, and some office hours.

You can still apply for public school jobs, try Korvia recruiter who seems to have schools still, and will tell you the exact location.
Public school jobs, mostly you are only teaching 4 hours a day but will have to be there from 9-4 ish.

by the way, there are several private public schools still hiring, ads are here or on worknplay, and you just simply go for the interview. There is less work than dealing with recruiters. But, they mostly want you to be in the country.

I'm not sure that an institute will be more credible for work experience.

Can try the wall street institute which offers short hours but you can work other jobs. Supposed to be nice to work with and you are teaching adults.

Good luck.
djg11002323

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those jobs look terrible. I would not take either of them considering:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=109597
and
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=109597

Unless you really need a job, I would wait for the next university hiring cycle. The university jobs in this country can be fulfilling and rewarding or they can be the aforementioned nightmares.
djg11002323

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I put two of the same links. Here is the link for Gyeongju:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=213637
Guajiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djg11002323 wrote:
Sorry, I put two of the same links. Here is the link for Gyeongju:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=213637

Most of that thread isn't even about the university in question - not much beyond the first page. The complaints listed were that the university is trying to get only professors with MAs and experience (which the OP has) so a large number who did not have these qualifications were fired (or not renewed).

I'm not vouching for this university, I don't know anyone who has worked there, I have no personal experience with it. Having said that, the job description for the university certainly looks a lot better than the unigwon above it. The salary at the language institute is pitifully low for that number of teaching hours.

As others have said, you can probably find something better than either (and definitely better than the first one).

Best of luck!
zpeanut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far. Seeing as I really don't know how things should be, they've really helped to put things in perspective.

It seems option two is better although not really great. I'm not in a rush to work but figure it would be nice to have some income.

When is the next hiring season for university?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be aware that #1 is NOT a university position. It is a poorly paid (about 1/2 when the lack of benefits is considered compared to your average chain hagwon) hagwon position.

#1 should be paying 2.2 mil + full benefits (housing or housing allowance, 12 working days holidays (MINIMUM by law), pension, NHIC medical, severance).

#2 is a bit better but not much. At least there is a nice holiday period (assuming it is paid).

For those kinds of hours, salaries and benefits you;d be just as well off (actually, considering commute time and expense, better off) getting bog-standard hagwon job close to home.

zpeanut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

#2 is a bit better but not much. At least there is a nice holiday period (assuming it is paid).

For those kinds of hours, salaries and benefits you;d be just as well off (actually, considering commute time and expense, better off) getting bog-standard hagwon job close to home.

Holiday is paid - it's the only thing that stood out about the job. I pretty much feel the same way in terms of commute time and expense..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: