Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does South Korea only accept on-site TEFL/TESOL courses?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myownwoman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Does South Korea only accept on-site TEFL/TESOL courses? Reply with quote

Starting Fall 2013 applicants teaching in SK must have TEFL certificates from on-site courses. I read this on Greenheart Travels.

Is this true or online courses still ok?

Thank you all so much! :D

-Katherine
Otherside

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard something similar from a recruiter last month.

As my certificate was on-site, I didn't really look into it.

That being said, A lot (I hesitate to say "all") of online certificates are a joke.
Someone vaguely competent can often complete the 120 hour course in half the time, and compared to what you'd learn at a decent onsite course (e.g. a CELTA) it's barely worth the paper it's printed on.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Does South Korea only accept on-site TEFL/TESOL courses? Reply with quote

myownwoman wrote:
Starting Fall 2013 applicants teaching in SK must have TEFL certificates from on-site courses. I read this on Greenheart Travels.

Is this true or online courses still ok?

Thank you all so much! Very Happy

-Katherine

Partly correct.

For a job in a hagwon a TEFL is NOT needed to get a job or to get a visa.

For a job in a public school program (EPIK, etc) you need a TEFL with a minimum of 100 hours - 20 of which should be in class.
Busan POE is asking for a minimum of 60 hours in class (the remainder of which can be on-line).

There are a number of "blended" programs available; CELTA on-line being the most widely recognised but not unique.

Full time in-class programs also work fine if you have the 30 days to do one.

The "international" standard (should you want to go elsewhere after Korea) is 120 hours with a minimum of 6 hours of observed practicum.

blm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a 100 hr online course.

Obviously the writing is on the wall that I should upgrade sooner rather than later.

I am with GEPIK though and haven't heard anything about such changes for 2013.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
I only have a 100 hr online course.

Obviously the writing is on the wall that I should upgrade sooner rather than later.

I am with GEPIK though and haven't heard anything about such changes for 2013.

Stay where you are and it is a non-issue.

For new applicants (from the EPIK.go.kr website):
<notices, what's new, bulletin 234>

EPIK wrote:
Currently, we accept a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL certificate as a qualification criteria for level 2 or higher pay grade, regardless of how the course was taken. However, starting from the Fall 2013 term, when we recommend candidates to the POE/MOEs we will give a priority to the applicants possessing a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL with at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component, as opposed to those who only completed a strictly online course. We strongly advise you to take the TEFL or TESOL programs including at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component. However, Busan will only acknowledge TESOL/TEFL certificates that contain at least a 60 hour offline, in-class component.

With 1 or more full years of EPIK / GEPIK experience it will be a non-issue.

It primarily affects newbies or those who have NOT worked in the PS system before.

flash viego

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see this post. I will be starting out as a rookie in late August/early Sept, and was going to do an online course just to qualify for a public school.
I guess I will have to go the Hagwon route. Maybe a better plan is to get a CELTA, or TEFL after I save enough money for a proper course.

Now I just have to convince myself that a Hagwon has benefits that the public schools don't have.

The only ones I can think of are freedom to teach as you please, and ability to choose your location moreso than a public school.

I'll just be happy to have work.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab a hagwon job.
Put in your year. Take your money and bank what you can.
GET A CERTIFICATE OF EMPLOYMENT BEFORE YOU LEAVE to verify your full year of employment as a teacher.

Get a double entry tourist visa for Thailand.
Spend a couple weeks on the beach to unwind.
Take a CELTA ($2100 room included) or other TEFL course ($1000 and up).

Back to Korea (or other destination of choice) and choose what you want to do. If you are not necessarily stuck on Korea there are lots of other options for someone with a degree, CELTA, classroom experience and willing to follow the money.

flash viego

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I was thinking. That's a great plan. And besides, I have loads of time to research what cities I like, and with all the information, and people helping, I should be able to make an informed decision when it comes to which job to take.

Thailand seems like the place to go for CELTA. What a plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: