Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice ASAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pingpongbb86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Need advice ASAP Reply with quote

I am supposed to be contacting my recruiter to book flights today or tomorrow as my contract starts at the beginning of march. However in the past few days I have had bad news concerning a close family member without going into much detail I might have to make the decision not to go to Korea which would be a very difficult one as an do want to go. My question is if I have the flights booked and in the next few weeks I decide I am unable to go.Am I financially responsible for the flight costs and any other costs? I am having to make a very difficult decision quickly and would appreciate any help/advice. I am feeling pretty emotional.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, if you sign a contract and they pay your flight and you don't fulfill the contract you have to pay them back (it should be in your contract).
Pingpongbb86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewlandon wrote:
of course, if you sign a contract and they pay your flight and you don't fulfill the contract you have to pay them back (it should be in your contract).

I thought so. I have had to cancel a flight before and got my money back but I know that is not always possible. If I contact them now and tell them I am unable to go before they book the flights will there be any costs? Thanks
ewlandon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they didnt book the flights, than there should be no costs. They might try to stick you with the recruiters fee but you don't have to pay that.
Pingpongbb86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewlandon wrote:
if they didnt book the flights, than there should be no costs. They might try to stick you with the recruiters fee but you don't have to pay that.

If they do try and ask for the recruiters fees how should I respond? Thanks for your help
newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pingpongbb86 wrote:
ewlandon wrote:

If they do try and ask for the recruiters fees how should I respond? Thanks for your help

Tell them to "come and get it."
PREEST

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better make up your mind and let them know because you will of course have to cover the full expense of the flight if they book the flight before you tell them.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
Pingpongbb86 wrote:
ewlandon wrote:

Or tell them to deduct it out of your first paycheck.

In honesty you could pull this crap for the flight but its in your contract and you would be a really dishonest law breaker if you did. As for the recruiters fee you are not at all part of that so you do not have any legal worries and you arent morally obligated either. Just pay the flight back (or tell them asap not to book it) and dont worry about contacting them again if they freak out or try to pin other fees on you.
Pingpongbb86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewlandon wrote:
newb wrote:
Pingpongbb86 wrote:
ewlandon wrote:

Or tell them to deduct it out of your first paycheck.

In honesty you could pull this crap for the flight but its in your contract and you would be a really dishonest law breaker if you did. As for the recruiters fee you are not at all part of that so you do not have any legal worries and you arent morally obligated either. Just pay the flight back (or tell them asap not to book it) and dont worry about contacting them again if they freak out or try to pin other fees on you.

Thanks. If they booked the flight I would pay for the flight if I could not go. If I am not going I need to decide now your right. I feel bad enough about cancelling at this point.
newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, tell them to "come and get the money." It is very important that they come and sign for the money.
Guajiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pingpongbb86 wrote:
ewlandon wrote:

I doubt they would have even paid the recruiter by that point. Typically the recruiter gets paid after the teacher has arrived, as far as I understand it. That's not to say they wouldn't ask for you to pay this nonexistent debt just out of spite, but as said above, I doubt you would have any moral or legal obligation to pay it.

If you're not going to take the job you should let them know as soon as possible, however, so they have time to find a replacement and don't get stuck without a teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: