Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yeah whoops. How much trouble am I in for not filing taxes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slothrop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
seattle7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what i did:

10 years no filing taxes. Account recommended only filing the past 3 with photo-copied proof of my 10 years of visas. 150 per year. You will get a $400 tax credit for 2009 (given to all Americans) and you can file online from now on.

Basically, I made 50 bucks and cleared the potential nightmare of a 10 year audit.
ajuma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get the proof of your visas? Immigration?
kinship

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i find interesting and ironic is that Americans rebelled and fought the British over taxation and now approx. 300 years later they are the leaders in taxing their people and watching every dime their people possess.
seattle7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

passport records for proof, all you really need
sirius black

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, its not as serious as you think in terms of jail, etc. In fact you may be owed money possibly depending on your situation.

That said, legally, all American citizens and permanent residents need to file taxes. Technically its illegal not to. Technically. If you don't owe taxes or if you own a 'small' amount, you're not going to be in any serious trouble (although the penalities and interest on a small amount can double or triple or more over time).

The IRS has 10 years to collect owed taxes. States vary. If you don't owe and are part of the typical exclusion amount that most NETs here are, just file the backones so you are legally incompliance.
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of long timers haven't filed their taxes in years, as in dozens of years. But if you plan on returning to the U.S., it's a good idea to file them, especially if you buy a home later, apply for student loans, bring back a Korean spouse and the like.

I hear the audit rate is under 0.5 percent for people who file.

I have also heard that the U.S. Embassy will occasionally check if someone who is renewing his or her passport has filed U.S. taxes.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taxes can be so convoluted sometimes!

Quoted material from here.

Quote:
Once you choose to exclude your foreign earned income or housing amount, that choice remains in effect for that year and all later years unless you revoke it.

I filed a foreign earned income exclusion several years ago, around 2005 or 2006. Obviously I need to still file 1040s for each year I've missed since then but am I correct in assuming that I am automatically claiming the foreign earned income exclusion each year, until I actively reject the exclusion by notifying the IRS? It seems weird to send in the 1040 without the 2555 but that's what they seem to be saying.

(I will probably call and ask anyway but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here...)
slothrop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ConnorV

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different tax question, but as it seems the experts are here, I will drop it in the same thread. Please let me know if I should take it elsewhere (I found nothing similar with the search function).

Anyway, I know that U.S. citizens can claim a foreign income deduction as long as they live in another country for 330+ days. However, as of the end of fiscal 2012, I have only lived in Korea for ~180 days. Can I file now and still claim the deduction, since my contract will have me here for the full year, or is it better to just get an extension and then file my 2012 taxes when I return to the States in September?

Thanks!
Dazed and Confused

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact H&R Block in Seoul and they'll sort you out. My friend filed about 8 years worth of back taxes a couple months ago and it cost him a couple hundred thousand won. And, he didn't have to pay penalties either. Laughing
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late friend once told me that having H&R Block on your tax return letterhead could dispel suspicion and such.

As for owing the government money, well, I owe none. I also used H&R Block Seoul a few years ago to file five years of back taxes, and the owner gave me a discount for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: