Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frustrated - No Jobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are forgetting there's more competition now, because all provincially funded middle.and and high school NET programs in Gyeonngi province have been cut as well
Airborne9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NQ wrote:
You guys are forgetting there's more competition now, because all provincially funded middle.and and high school NET programs in Gyeonngi province have been cut as well

I'm not sure if I was reading the same thread as you, but all they were talking abut was the fact that there are more ELS teachers in Korea and that public schools/ Govt is cutting back on English education spending.

You can blame anyone or anything you want, But there are jobs out there. I've known others in the same position and i'd say 90% of them got sorted in the end.
newb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But there are jobs out there. I've known others in the same position and i'd say 90% of them got sorted in the end.

Yes, there are plenty of entry level jobs and also jobs that aren't desirable. Most seasoned veterans don't want those jobs so it's best to move out and leave those jobs for the newbies.
Otherside

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:

Unless you're a girl fresh outta college with blond hair and blue eyes you have extremely minute chance.

Let's not get carried away. I am neither female nor North American. Definitely not fresh out of college. I don't have blond hair and blue eyes.

Last week, I had 3 job offers (out of 3 interviews) for public school jobs. All of which were in decent areas offering decent/above average salaries. I was pretty picky (both on area...and wanting middle/high schools - after the budget cut!) and I was able to get what I wanted.

That being said, I'll admit the market is pretty tough now. However, if you're in-country and flexible, you shouldn't have too many problems.
NQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airborne9 wrote:
NQ wrote:

I'm not sure if I was reading the same thread as you, but all they were talking abut was the fact that there are more ELS teachers in Korea and that public schools/ Govt is cutting back on English education spending.

You can blame anyone or anything you want, But there are jobs out there. I've known others in the same position and i'd say 90% of them got sorted in the end.

I am reading the same thread as you. Yes, there are a lot of NETs here and the guv is cutting back on English education, hence why MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL NET POSITIONS FUNDED BY THE PROVINCE IN GYEONGGI ARE GETTING CUT. My point directly relates to the discussion in this thread.

And it is a contributing factor. Last year, I had recruiters working with me more closely and I was back in my home country. This year, they're not working with me as close and I'm in Korea, getting the same run around as the OP. Perhaps because I have an irregular end date at my public school. Or maybe because I'm not new anymore. I dunno what the deal is.

Like someone else said, it's Feb., so maybe more jobs will come up this month.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherside wrote:
newb wrote:

Unless you're a girl fresh outta college with blond hair and blue eyes you have extremely minute chance.

Let's not get carried away. I am neither female nor North American. Definitely not fresh out of college. I don't have blond hair and blue eyes.

Last week, I had 3 job offers (out of 3 interviews) for public school jobs. All of which were in decent areas offering decent/above average salaries. I was pretty picky (both on area...and wanting middle/high schools - after the budget cut!) and I was able to get what I wanted.

That being said, I'll admit the market is pretty tough now. However, if you're in-country and flexible, you shouldn't have too many problems.

I completely agree with this post. My current job was one that I picked out of seven job offers...all for public schools. And I don't have blond hair or blue eyes. I'm male and on the wrong side of 30. And I'm not American.

So yes it is possible. What you bring to the table over and above the other candidates APART from those other issues is the deciding factor.

Not to say there aren't schools that do mainly judge on the above external factors...but do you really want to work at a place like that?
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NQ wrote:
[q
I am reading the same thread as you. Yes, there are a lot of NETs here and the guv is cutting back on English education, hence why MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL NET POSITIONS FUNDED BY THE PROVINCE IN GYEONGGI ARE GETTING CUT. My point directly relates to the discussion in this thread.

Okay so they are cutting positions in Gyeonggi. But other provinces are still hiring. I currently work at a high school (2nd year at the same one) and I've not heard any rumblings of dissatisfaction so far...(knock on wood).

Would that not be an option?
creeper1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherside wrote:
newb wrote:

Those are the kinds of experience I keep hearing about. Korea remains a place where you can land good jobs fairly easily.

There are thousands of options out there guys.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
My current job was one that I picked out of seven job offers...all for public schools.

When did this happen though? It was a while back- certainly not in 2013.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
Korea remains a place where you can land good jobs fairly easily.

Good jobs? I don't think so. But if you're so convinced (person who doesn't live in Korea), why don't you see if you can land one yourself. I mean, you're always going on about how Korea is so great and so much better than China...so why are you living in China? If you came to Korea, you'd be in for a rude shock.
cheolsu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On December 17, I was told that it would not be possible to renew at my current school. I ended up with four job offers in the next 24 days, two offers at public middle schools in Gyeonggi (I refused to work at elementary schools) through recruiters, one at a private middle school that I applied to after seeing their ad on that other website that's just like this one, and one at a university. I'm short, dark-skinned and, unlike the OP, I can't even say that I have a head full of hair.

The competition was tough because I was trying to replace my current job at a time when they had become very scarce, and I didn't even consider public elementary schools as an option. Most of the middle or high school jobs I found were either in small cities like Uiwang, Gapyeong or Gimpo, or they were in completely rural parts of Anseong, Yeoju or Icheon.

It's true that with my experience, I was priced out of the budgets of many schools, who only had budgets that let them pay for someone with a year or two of experience (I have four, including a year in Gyeonggi). I'm also sure that I didn't do well when my headshot (in a suit) competed against better-looking white guys and girls.

That said, even looking at public schools, my ace has always been the excellent reference I've gotten from my boss. I was told when I got my present job last year that the biggest reason I was being hired was that I got a stellar reference from my department head at the time. This year, too, interviewers at public schools mentioned the kind words my co-teachers had had to say about me.
Otherside

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheolsu, except for your personal description, your post sounds like it was written by me.

I too lost my job due to the GEPIK cuts (possibly even the same day). I too refused to work elementary, and I also had an excellent reference. I also was out of the budget of a good number of schools.

I think as other posters have mentioned, there are decent jobs out there, but you need to bring a bit to the table. Unless you fall right into the target demographic (young, white, NA female), you're going to have to offer something to make them choose you. This could be anything from experience, qualifications, good references, etc. If you're offering the same thing as a 24year-old fresh grad... there's little reason to really hire you in a tight market.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the Public Schools: The demands are getting higher, the workload larger, higher qualification demands, the teaching conditions have worsen (less co-teaching, more solo teaching with a huge classroom of 25-30 students of who speak little to no English), discipline has started to weigh completely on the waygook's shoulders...

All this but no increase in benefits whatsoever. In fact, there has been a decrease in benefits. Who with a Master's degree and/or 2 years of teaching experience is going to want to stomach all of that for 2.1 a month as the cost of living increases?

Quote:
Unfortunately in the PS system, what use to be a guarantee of good quality treatment has become surprisingly rare! The things I hear from other PS employees astounds me in comparison of my first PS job in 2009. Sickly housing situations, coteacher verbal abuse and/or neglect, twisting and turning of contractual obligations on pay, vacation, flight reimbursement...etc. etc.
creeper1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: answer Reply with quote

World Traveler - I'm mid-contract here in China. I try not to break contracts so I'm staying for the time being.

When 2014 comes I may well be heading back to Korea to take a After School position or a university position.
recessiontime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP have you tried applying exclusively to rural jerbs? I won't accept the the job market is in the toilet as long as there are still jobs available there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: