Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frustrated - No Jobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creeper1, I doubt you are telling the truth, but if you are let me tell you your odds of getting a uni job or even afterschool school will be very slim. Plus by the time 2014 rolls around, the Korean job market will be even more flooded than it is now. Every year competition increases.
Firearcher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustrated - No Jobs Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
Firearcher wrote:
I am frustrated beyond belief. I have many years' experience in Korea

And yet this is your last year? Rolling Eyes

Heard that one before.

If that's the case just go now. 2014 and 2013 aren't that different. Why does your plan require you work another year.

Anyway this thread is absolutely absurd.

There is no way a normal waygook wouldn't be getting multiple job offers.

I think you are being too picky.

Creeper a person can only be picky if there is something to pick from. I have been offered ZERO jobs. So its hardly a case of being picky. I'll work a 2.1 mill Hawgwon job if offered it.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustrated - No Jobs Reply with quote

Firearcher wrote:
creeper1 wrote:
Firearcher wrote:

Heard that one before.

If that's the case just go now. 2014 and 2013 aren't that different. Why does your plan require you work another year.

Creeper a person can only be picky if there is something to pick from. I have been offered ZERO jobs. So its hardly a case of being picky. I'll work a 2.1 mill Hawgwon job if offered it.

Maybe recruiters can sense the desperation in your voice?
newb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustrated - No Jobs Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Firearcher wrote:
creeper1 wrote:
Firearcher wrote:

Heard that one before.

How about 1.8 million?
zpeanut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustrated - No Jobs Reply with quote

newb wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Firearcher wrote:
creeper1 wrote:
Firearcher wrote:

Heard that one before.

How about 1.8 million?

Yes, good point. You might want to consider going lower.

I was offered a hagwon job last week paying 1.6 mill for the first month, for so called 'training' and then only 2 mill onwards.. this is working a 30 hr week, 6 hrs teaching a day.

Had no idea I was being ripped off until I read threads on Daves.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Frustrated - No Jobs Reply with quote

zpeanut wrote:
I was offered a hagwon job last week paying 1.6 mill for the first month, for so called 'training' and then only 2 mill onwards.. this is working a 30 hr week, 6 hrs teaching a day.

Shocked

Crying or Very sad

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: 1.6 in the first month? Reply with quote

Before you know it....in a couple years....the teachers will be earning 1.0M 1.1M a month like they did back in 1995/96.

No...we cannot let that happen..
newb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 in the first month? Reply with quote

Soldier wrote:
Before you know it....in a couple years....the teachers will be earning 1.0M 1.1M a month like they did back in 1995/96.

It's happening.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 in the first month? Reply with quote

newb wrote:
Soldier wrote:

It's happening.

Ruh roh.

Warm regards
fat_chris
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed on for 1.6 for my first job in Korea, in 1999! That was substandard at the time, the going rate in Seoul was 1.8 to 2, but I wanted to be in Sokcho.

Entry level pay has hardly budged (it went up for a bit & then down again) but the cost of living in Korea has certainly risen.

Schools get many applicants for any opening, why would they offer more?
nautilus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm over 80, balding, pot-bellied, from the congolese rainforest and can barely speak English.

I started applying only yesterday and whaddya know, I got 563 job offers right off the bat, most of them in between the 3.6M- 5.2 M range for three classes a week in downtown Seoul.

There are babillions of jobs here in Korea. You guys must be doing something wrong.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
I'm over 80, balding, pot-bellied, from the congolese rainforest and can barely speak English.

I started applying only yesterday and whaddya know, I got 563 job offers right off the bat, most of them in between the 3.6M- 5.2 M range for three classes a week in downtown Seoul.

There are babillions of jobs here in Korea. You guys must be doing something wrong.

You could be telling the truth...
andrewchon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Nauti' style is just doing what he loves: being naughty.
happiness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:

hahahaa. ill buy you a drink. lets speak in your native tongue!

but its right, dude. you may or may not get a job in Gangnam (and I did for 2 years, not my cup of tea, but some people may love it), but

-pay 10 bucks for a good picture
--have a clean, concise resume (which may or may not get looked over)
---AND go to places where youd like to work and ask (if you can). I got my job now because I went for an interview during a big holiday and let them see who I was. Itll get over their trepidations, and I got the job.

there are a bunch of jobs here, and there are jobs not advertised.
NQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
NQ wrote:
[q
I am reading the same thread as you. Yes, there are a lot of NETs here and the guv is cutting back on English education, hence why MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL NET POSITIONS FUNDED BY THE PROVINCE IN GYEONGGI ARE GETTING CUT. My point directly relates to the discussion in this thread.

Okay so they are cutting positions in Gyeonggi. But other provinces are still hiring. I currently work at a high school (2nd year at the same one) and I've not heard any rumblings of dissatisfaction so far...(knock on wood).

Would that not be an option?

It is an option, but I'd rather be near Seoul where it's "happening". I also heard other provinces are cutting back as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: