Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who knows the "good"schools to work at in Korea?!P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaffnem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Who knows the "good"schools to work at in Korea?!P Reply with quote

Hi!

I've been reading through old blogs about teaching in Korea and there are so many blogs about schools to avoid but there really aren't any listings of schools that people have worked at and liked.

I've currently have an offer from POLY (Suji campus) and haven't accepted just yet because it has mixed reviews and I am open to look into another school if people have had good experiences.

Please let me know what schools you or your friends have worked at and had good experiences!

Thanks!
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the offer and you make it into a good experience yourself. How? Do it Romney style. No matter how bad things get, have a smile on your face. Smile
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Who knows the "good"schools to work at in Kore Reply with quote

gaffnem wrote:
Hi!

I've been reading through old blogs about teaching in Korea and there are so many blogs about schools to avoid but there really aren't any listings of schools that people have worked at and liked.

I've currently have an offer from POLY (Suji campus) and haven't accepted just yet because it has mixed reviews and I am open to look into another school if people have had good experiences.

Please let me know what schools you or your friends have worked at and had good experiences!

Thanks!

By "schools," I assume you mean hagwons? Honestly, the best way to get a sense of an individual hagwon's quality is to examine the terms laid out in the contract they offer you, do some basic research on the school (Google and the search function here on Dave's are good places to start), and speak w/ current and/or former teachers from the school. Sorry to break it to you, but there's no magic list of "good" hagwons out there.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Wonderland is a wonderful place to work at, you should go there, many people have had memorable experiences working there
Otherside

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
I hear Wonderland is a wonderful place to work at, you should go there, many people have had memorable experiences working there

Yes, I hear working at Wonderland is an unforgettable experience!
gaffnem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@andrewchon. Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to hear! I�ve been so tied up in looking into the �good� and �bad� schools. And then trying to find one that doesn�t have terrible reviews that I didn�t realize how many teachers from those �bad� schools have had good experiences! It really is mostly what you make of it, isn�t it!

@allthechildrenareinsane (I love the name!) Thanks for the advice, I�ll be getting on the phone with the current teachers . That is probably one of the best ways to go about it b/c they can tell me of any current issues good and bad.

@otherside. I feel like there is just a bit of sarcasm there!! haha
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaffnem wrote:
@andrewchon. Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to hear! I�ve been so tied up in looking into the �good� and �bad� schools. And then trying to find one that doesn�t have terrible reviews that I didn�t realize how many teachers from those �bad� schools have had good experiences! It really is mostly what you make of it, isn�t it!

@allthechildrenareinsane (I love the name!) Thanks for the advice, I�ll be getting on the phone with the current teachers . That is probably one of the best ways to go about it b/c they can tell me of any current issues good and bad.

@otherside. I feel like there is just a bit of sarcasm there!! haha

As a general rule, you should never accept a position w/out first speaking w/ a current or former teacher. Also, when a school sends you a contract, make sure that they're offering national health insurance and pension. If there's no mention of those in the contract, bring it up w/ the school as you may be able to negotiate getting those added in. If they refuse to offer them (i.e., by saying you'd be hired as an "independent contractor"), then my advice is to find a school that does offer them. It's also a good idea to ask if you can see pictures of the apartment where you'll be staying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: