Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

drug/health test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danniedoodles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: drug/health test Reply with quote

sorry if this is already somewhere on the board, i tried searching and coulnd't find it.

any information you can provide regarding the drug/health test that takes place once you arrive would be greatly appreciated. i have found some information on google of epik/gepik teacher's experiences but not hagwon's procedure. i have also read some things that say you do this as soon as you arrive, and others say it must be done within the first 3 weeks of arrival.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if hagwon and public school procedures differ (and I would assume they don't), but I had one done in Gangnam, which cost around $80 around a year ago, as we all walked from station to station in space suits. Is the general test called 공무원채용신체검사? I hope it is, because I had to get one done this week. I had a ladyfriend look it up and did it for only 7,000 won in Yongsan, at the big center down the street from the main drag towards the river. Apparently, that should be good enough, we'll see. But, I had to put a long cotton swab up my ass an inch to test for "salmonella" to comply with regulatory mandates. I was quizzing the lady about this ass swab salmonella test for minute or two while she was draining my AIDS infected blood from my arm. I received no definitive answer to my butt swab/salmonella inquiries.

Still, I just want to know... does the best test for detecting salmonella require you sticking a cotton swab up your butt? Is the medical check at this location legit, as well?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: drug/health test Reply with quote

danniedoodles wrote:
sorry if this is already somewhere on the board, i tried searching and coulnd't find it.

any information you can provide regarding the drug/health test that takes place once you arrive would be greatly appreciated. i have found some information on google of epik/gepik teacher's experiences but not hagwon's procedure. i have also read some things that say you do this as soon as you arrive, and others say it must be done within the first 3 weeks of arrival.

It is a set of standard tests done at a government approved health facility (hospital).

It is required as part of your ARC application. You MUST (legal requirement) have your ARC within 90 days of your arrival in Korea.

Many schools do it much faster (usually within your first month) because if there are any complications you need to be re-tested and that can cause delays BUT it still all has to be completed before your ARC application and that 90-days from arrival deadline is set in stone.

Skippy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like ttompatz said. The drug test if part of the health check. Basically pee and blood.

Skippy Stock List

This question comes up once in a while. Wish most people searched first. In general all you have to do is use common sense. Live clean for a while and you will be fine.

Drug test upon arriving in Korea
Another drug test--by 3/31?
BF failed drug test, school wants me to stay..Help
Drug testing in Korea
Drug Test - Marijauna back on the table?
Question about drug test/health check
mid contract drug test?
New Drug Test Rules starting next month
I failed my drug test twice~~!!!!
Drug Test?
E2 Visa Drug Test - Mushrooms
Drug Test
Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 law
Drug test on Tuesday. Please advise.
New Drug Test Rules starting next month
Holidays and drug testing...
CDI/Chungdahm Drug Test
Drug testing for physical
can anyone confirm the cannabinoid test has been removed
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a hagwon and my director brought me to the hospital for the check within the first week. Really, it your employers decision. You will have no control over the situation.

If you're wondering what I think you're wondering, yes, they test for weed. And there's none here, so you'd best start getting used to it now. Wink
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
And there's none here

Fiction. Cool
danniedoodles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey skippy thanks for the links. I usually use my phone to browse and it's not the best medium. I knew it had to be all over these boards! thanks for all the answers everyone too Smile

and btw - not worried about the green stuff. I am recovering from a bad cold/sinus infection and was prescribed meds and idk if they will interfere with the test. I'm going to talk to my doctor about bringing a copy of the script just in case!
johnny_russian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannie, from what i've heard some nasal sprays can make you test positive for drugs (can't remember what drug it is though). so if you were given nasal spray you might test positive, so i think it's a good think that you are bringing the scripts.

apparently some pain meds can also make you test positive for morphine. the guys at EPIK said that every year they have at least one South African fail the drug test because South African pain meds have stuff in them that makes them test positive.

i''m not sure what the deal is with private schools, hagwons etc., but i know for EPIK if you fail the test they let you re-take it at a later stage once the meds are out of your system (at your own expense of course).
danniedoodles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasal spray! crazy! i don't have any nasal spray though. i was also considering taking something to help me sleep on the long flight over. now i'm nervous about that too - - i didn't even THINK about it until just now either.... any advice?
johnny_russian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't take anything on the flight, apparently sleeping pills can interfere with a drug test as well.

this is a list i found of medications that can cause false positives. as you will see, it is a VERY long list Shocked http://www.askdocweb.com/falsepositives.html

just about anything can cause a false positive, so try to stay away from all medications 2 weeks before you have to do the test to be absolutely sure. most medication you can pee out in 2-3 days, so don't have to worry about a false positive if you stop taking any meds 3-4 days before if it's a urinalysis.

if the drug test is a blood test most medication is out of your bloodstream in around 7-8 days (i think). you can speed up your liver processing it out of your blood by taking a liver supplement (like milk thistle or artichoke extract) and a b-vitamin complex (or a mutlivitamin high in vit B). so abstaining from any meds 1 week before the test should be fine, but if you want to be 100% certain give it 2 weeks.
johnny_russian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing about that false positive list though - it doesn't give the false positive rate, and for some meds the rate is very low. something like 0.5%, which is only 1 out of every 200 people who take the test who have taken that medication.

so even if you take some of those meds you could still get a negative. but the thing is, do you really want to risk being the 1 person out of every 200 people who test false positive? Razz

another interesting thing i found - apparently just being black can sometimes cause a false positive for marijuana! i quote: "Black Skin. This is not a joke! Those of African origin, certain Orientals, or pacific Islanders might test positive for marijuana. Dr. James Woodford, a toxicologist associated with Emory University labs hypothesized the pigment melanin which protects the skin from the sun, approximates the molecular structure of the THC metabolite to cross react on the marijuana urine test. Dark skinned Caucasians such as those from the subcontinent of India could also read positive on marijuana tests. The body eliminates some melanin in a dark person's urine sample." from here: http://www.passthetest.com/false_positives.htm
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danniedoodles wrote:
nasal spray! crazy! i don't have any nasal spray though. i was also considering taking something to help me sleep on the long flight over. now i'm nervous about that too - - i didn't even THINK about it until just now either.... any advice?

Don't sleep on the long flight over. You could get DVT, which can be quite serious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: