Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

live by sword die by the sword

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: live by sword die by the sword Reply with quote

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/03/justice/texas-sniper-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Quote:
This is because someone ignorant and unevolved enough to actually brag about how much he has killed was also ignorant of the golden rule or karmic justice...which rules all of life.

Taken from the comments section - I kinda feel the same.

Strange that a fellow marine killed him, got a feeling that there was some kind of 'pissing' contest before he got shot!

Note to self - dont !#@$ off an ex marine (prob with PTSD) who's holding a gun!
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just transported a close friend of the slain marine to the airport on her way back to Dallas. She was very shaken and sad.

He was sniping Taliban soldiers. As far as "Live by the sword, die by the sword", you can look at it that way if you want. I dont see how it makes sense given your western lifestyle. Do you have any idea what a Taliban cockroach would do to you, a Kafir, if he could get his hands on you? Do you understand the way they treat females or demand that females get treated in Afghanistan?
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
I dont see how it makes sense given your western lifestyle Do you have any idea what a Taliban cockroach would do to you, a Kafir, if he could get his hands on you?

Do we really need to pretend that the U.S. military going around the world killing Muslims somehow "keeps us safe" from the Taliban? Even at its absolute zenith, Islamic terrorism has never even come close to harming the United States to the degree that the "war on terror" has.

young_clinton wrote:
Do you understand the way they treat females or demand that females get treated in Afghanistan?

"Oh, think of the women!" is an excuse for our military presence in those regions, not a reason. The American military did not invade Afghanistan for women's rights, nor should it; feminism at the point of a sword is just as bad as Islam at the point of a sword. Perhaps worse, really; Islam may not be my cup of tea, but it is at least a cohesive, society-building vision with some degree of historic success, while feminism is largely parasitic.
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
I actually just transported a close friend of the slain marine to the airport on her way back to Dallas. She was very shaken and sad.

He was sniping Taliban soldiers. As far as "Live by the sword, die by the sword", you can look at it that way if you want. I dont see how it makes sense given your western lifestyle. Do you have any idea what a Taliban cockroach would do to you, a Kafir, if he could get his hands on you? Do you understand the way they treat females or demand that females get treated in Afghanistan?

Somehow, I feel pretty confident your whole Taliban cockroach speech is similar to the mindset of the Taliban regarding Americans. The whole they are here to take your country, kill your country man, destroy your culture, etc. I'm sure the Afghani's are truly thankful for all his work supporting Karzai, the corrupt benefactor of the various warlords and druglords that only controls a few areas of the country. A true hero.
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Moving aside from the 'rights or wrongs' of invading Afghanistan or Iraq, I�d say the fact that he wrote a book, detailing some of those kills kinda stokes the fires so to speak in the region.

I respect anyone who is brave enough to fight for their country - they can't choose where they're sent, but I always kinda lose a bit of respect for the guys who write the books and pick up the juicy pay cheque after....

Some do it for the right reasons - lots of brits have written books to highlight the lack of equipment they have. Other just do it for the ego trip...At least wait for the 'war' to finish!

I have yet to read his book, I have a feeling it will go to the top of Amazon, like Michael Jackson�s music did after he died.....!

'Taliban Cockroach' is a very suitable name for them! They are highly organized and super resilient - they fight with limited weapons and the BELIVE in what they are fighting for. They sent the Russians packing with their tails between their legs and they are now using many of the weapons (that the Americans and their allies gave them) to more than hold their own against FAR superior fire power.

They�re making the best of what they have � you can call them cowards for using IED�s ect but they are highly adaptable. The only way to ever truly defeat them would be to just nuke the whole of Afghanistan!

I just hope the west takes a deep breath before moving on to Iran because I have a feeling that that war would get VERY MESSY very quickly. They had a long time to prepare for invasion and I think the west would find some nasty surprises awaiting them if they try to invade!

Plus the Arab world would finally �kick off� so to speak I think!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Killing-Explosive-Story-ebook/dp/B00593JNMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1359950521&sr=1-1

^ This is one of the best books that I've read about post war Iraq and 'head banging against a wall' the west is about to do the same thing in Afghanistan when they 'pull out!' Embarassed
rollo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing to see so many exultuing in someones death.

Oh yeah the Taliban, which one the one that recieves weapons and training from the Indians or the one that recieves weapons and training from the Pakistanis.

It is delightful to see support for a group that stones women to death for adultery, believes marrying girls as young as 10 to men as old as seventy is okay. Just delightful

Yeah the war on terror crashed planes in to buildings in new York, or blew up embassies in kenya. Yep!!
nautilus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Do you have any idea what a Taliban cockroach would do to you, a Kafir, if he could get his hands on you? Do you understand the way they treat females or demand that females get treated in Afghanistan?

I fully agree with you.

But this is about a guy who has broken the traditional silence a soldier has regarding those he killed.

Prince Harry did the same a couple of weeks ago, in between comparing firing his helicopter gunship to playing video games.

Maybe its just symptomatic of the sheer impersonality of modern warfare.
Leon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
Amazing to see so many exultuing in someones death.

Oh yeah the Taliban, which one the one that recieves weapons and training from the Indians or the one that recieves weapons and training from the Pakistanis.

It is delightful to see support for a group that stones women to death for adultery, believes marrying girls as young as 10 to men as old as seventy is okay. Just delightful

Yeah the war on terror crashed planes in to buildings in new York, or blew up embassies in kenya. Yep!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyAT1TVQ9Q

Dude loved killing people, and considered the people he killed to be less than human. He made money by writing about killing those people. Sympathy to the family, but anyone trying to make this guy out to be a hero is wrong. Speaking of exulting in people's death, that's how this guy made his money. Also, calling the war in Iraq the war on terror is dumb and has nothing to do with it.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY Times article

In that article, it doesn't sound like he loved to kill. The title of the book is over the top and doesn't seem to fit with what he wrote (at least the parts the NYT quoted in the article).

And apparently he didn't expect to profit a lot from the book sales:

Quote:
The sudden success of the book surprised no one more than Mr. Kyle, the son of a church deacon who was initially rejected by the Navy when he tried to join in the mid-1990s, because of pins in his arm from a rodeo injury
Leon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
NY Times article

In that article, it doesn't sound like he loved to kill. The title of the book is over the top and doesn't seem to fit with what he wrote (at least the parts the NYT quoted in the article).

And apparently he didn't expect to profit a lot from the book sales:

Quote:
The sudden success of the book surprised no one more than Mr. Kyle, the son of a church deacon who was initially rejected by the Navy when he tried to join in the mid-1990s, because of pins in his arm from a rodeo injury

The article doesn't really say much about him, or quote much from the book, so not really sure what you're getting from that. I guess being a solider you have to have the mentality that the people you kill are less than human, but when I was reading the part about how American lives are worth more than the woman he killed with a "twisted soul" because she had a grenade, it sounded like he was the savage not the Iraqis. Of course they want to kill Americans, how many times ever have invaders been welcome in another country.
Kuros

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Chris Kyle's death seems to confirm that "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword." Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn't make sense</p>&mdash; Ron Paul (@RonPaul) <a href="https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/298477312876355585">February 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh, sorry, I forgot how old this site was. Let's try this: Ron Paul tweets on Chris Kyle's death
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Paul on the toll of PTSD

Quote:
Last year more US troops died by suicide than died in combat in Afghanistan. More than 20 percent of military personnel deployed to combat will develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Some 32 percent of US soldiers reported depression after deployments. More than 20 percent of active-duty military are on potentially dangerous psychotropic drugs; many are on multiple types. Violent crime among active duty military members increased 31 percent between 2006-2011.

The statistics, compiled by the military last year, are as telling as they are disturbing. The Defense Department scrambles to implement new programs to better treat the symptoms. They implement new substance abuse and psychological counseling programs while they continue to prescribe more dangerous psychotropic drugs. Unfortunately, most often ignored are the real causes of these alarming statistics.

The sharp rise in military suicides, drug and alcohol abuse, and domestic and other violence, is the unintended consequence of a violent foreign policy -- of an endless and indefinable �global war on terrorism.�

Endless war might be wrong and recycling a thin line of volunteers in and out of combat repeatedly might also be wrong. But doing both at once is surely wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: