Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Australia Expensive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Is Australia Expensive? Reply with quote

I've read different tales about whether visiting or living in Oz is pricey, just wandering what people who've been there say?

I've got friends who I'd like to visit, and Korea is the closest I've been. I wouldn't be able to stay with them as they already have family booked in, so it'd be hotels when there plus I want to see a few cities. I'll probably be there a total of three weeks, and I like to eat, drink and live unlike a pauper - no 5 star places but 3 minimum and no hitchhiking.

I appreciate it's a huge place and there are discrepancies from city to city.
northway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably save a ton of money by using Airbnb.com instead of getting hotels, at least for some of your trip. You can often get whole apartments for pretty cheap, and the you have the kitchen facilities to avoid spending money needlessly on quick meals for sustenance.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is Australia Expensive? Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
I've read different tales about whether visiting or living in Oz is pricey, just wandering what people who've been there say?

I've got friends who I'd like to visit, and Korea is the closest I've been. I wouldn't be able to stay with them as they already have family booked in, so it'd be hotels when there plus I want to see a few cities. I'll probably be there a total of three weeks, and I like to eat, drink and live unlike a pauper - no 5 star places but 3 minimum and no hitchhiking.

I appreciate it's a huge place and there are discrepancies from city to city.

I think I heard somewhere it's like living in the USA, expensive.
lemak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting extremely pricey. Not helped by the fact the Australian dollar is booming these days meaning you'll get assraped on the exchange rate also.

This site is good....

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Can enter two cities and get an idea of how they compare price wise. According to that site....
Quote:
You would need around 4,209,662.83₩ (3,787.95A$) in Seoul to maintain
the same standard of life that you can have with 5,900.00A$ in Melbourne
(assuming you rent in both cities).

At 16 bucks a pack if you're a heavy smoker be prepared to need to sell a kidney or two in order to keep up your habit.
DrugstoreCowgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very expensive. There's a reason minimum wage there is $15 per hour! You could easily spend $200+ per day in one of the bigger cities just on hotel, food and transport. But it's a lovely country.
newinseoul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it very expensive and I was there for two weeks. I'd recommend staying in a decent bed and breakfast or guesthouse as they are normally a decent price compared to some of the hotels. There are some decent budget hotels as well. You can find and compare here for different cities of Australia.

http://www.travellerspoint.com/guesthouses-en-co-1.html

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: