Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there ANY good universities to work for in Busan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Are there ANY good universities to work for in Busan? Reply with quote

I have no intention of moving there anytime in the next 10 years, but my wife has it in her head that she'd like to move back to Busan one day.

Thing is, I have not heard one good thing about a single university there -- in terms of working there as a foreigner. Pay is always quite a bit less, and I have read negatives about the bigger schools (albeit a few years ago).

Am just curious about the university job landscape in Busan these days. Are there ANY good universities to work for ? Is the pay still in the low 2's per month? It seemed to hover around 2.0 when last I looked.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at Busan myself, but like you I've never seen a job advertisement for a university in Busan that offered anything even above 2.4ish, and usually with short vacation periods too.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say that there r 3-4 excellent places to work for in busan. the thing is, r they hiring? maybe not. r they at 3mil. maybe not. r they close to that? likely. r they giving u close to 6 months' vacation? i know mine is. just because it's pnu, donga, or dongeui, or whatever, does not necessarily mean it's the best, at least by what the avg foreigner at a uni is looking for. sure, some korean might b impressed by the fact that ur a lecturer at pnu, but that does not mean that ur getting the best when compared to many in busan, esp when u r factoring in the contract hours req'd, the vacation, and the micromanagement.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
Just because it's pnu, donga, or dongeui, or whatever, does not necessarily mean it's the best, at least by what the avg foreigner at a uni is looking for. sure, some korean might b impressed by the fact that ur a lecturer at pnu, but that does not mean that ur getting the best when compared to many in busan, esp when u r factoring in the contract hours req'd, the vacation, and the micromanagement.

I have found this to be true, as well. Is your school privately-owned?
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
denverdeath wrote:
Just because it's pnu, donga, or dongeui, or whatever, does not necessarily mean it's the best, at least by what the avg foreigner at a uni is looking for. sure, some korean might b impressed by the fact that ur a lecturer at pnu, but that does not mean that ur getting the best when compared to many in busan, esp when u r factoring in the contract hours req'd, the vacation, and the micromanagement.

I have found this to be true, as well. Is your school privately-owned?

yeah, it's a private place. having said that, some of the worst pays in busan r given at private places...so, ask lots of questions, esp one like, "How many OT hours are usually expected with that 10/12/14/16-20(TOO much!) hour weekly contract?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: