Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The option of NOT having taxes deducted from paycheck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjois

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: The option of NOT having taxes deducted from paycheck Reply with quote

So, I'm outta here at the end of the month, and my total Korean income for 2013 will be well below the basic deduction level. I asked my employer not to withhold taxes on my paychecks for Jan. and Feb. She said she had to, unless I can get some kind of indication otherwise. I've tried calling the English help line with the NTS, but nobody answers. Any ideas? I'd hate to leave behind a couple of hundred bucks of tax money that doesn't need to be paid....

Last edited by banjois on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tax withholding on two-months annual income Reply with quote

banjois wrote:
So, I'm outta here at the end of the month, and my total Korean income for 2013 will be well below the basic deduction level. I asked my employer not to withhold taxes on my paychecks for Jan. and Feb. She said she had to, unless I can get some kind of indication otherwise. I've tried calling the English help line with the NTS, but nobody answers. Any ideas? I'd hate to leave behind a couple of hundred bucks of tax money that doesn't need to be paid....

Show her your plane ticket and indicate to her that you're leaving Korea.
banjois

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, she knows that. We talked all about my 7 month travel plans.

I don't think anybody's trying to screw me...I just think somebody's ignorant of how things work.

Which may be me? Common sense tells me that annual income under a taxation threshhold equals no withheld tax, but I've been here long enough to know that common sense just might not be right....
banjois

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody ever tried to have taxes not withheld? After two days of trying to get through on the English hotline, I got my co-teacher to call, and she said that "No matter how long you're in Korea, you still have to pay taxes." Is there something being lost in translation? I'm not trying to duck taxes; I just won't owe anything on about 8 million won. Do I really have to file a tax return in a year and a half from out of the country to get back a couple of hundred bucks?
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school never withholds my taxes. Each year I file, and then pay what I owe in one lump sum. I'm under the impression that everyone else at my school handles it that way as well.
banjois

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox, I've followed your highly rational postings since before I came here, three years ago. Do you have any suggestions on how one might impart the same rationality, given the situation?

I'd feel SO much better if they were trying to steal a couple of hundred bucks from me, rather than just being ignorant of basic accountancy and common sense...
kinship

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjois wrote:

I don't think anybody's trying to screw me...I just think somebody's ignorant of how things work.

Which may be me? Common sense tells me that annual income under a taxation threshhold equals no withheld tax, but I've been here long enough to know that common sense just might not be right....

You may think you are using common sense but public schools have to be careful. Charges of corruption are easily made and most school officials want to avoid being accused of it. Someone would have to post the tax laws for you as I am only going by what I have experienced, all my schools have withheld income taxes even when my time in the new year was short, thus I would conclude that your school is going by the book to cover their rear ends.

They are using common sense just not in your favor.
kinship

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjois wrote:

You may think you are using common sense but you are only doing what is easier for you. Public schools have to be careful. Charges of corruption are easily made and most school officials want to avoid being accused of it. Someone would have to post the tax laws for you as I am only going by what I have experienced, all my schools have withheld income taxes even when my time in the new year was short, thus I would conclude that your school is going by the book to cover their rear ends.

They are using common sense just not in your favor.
banjois

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hagwon....
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my total Korean income for 2013 will be well below the basic deduction level

If you have a standard job with a set salary, you would have known this from the start. Why the surprise 10 months in they still want to take taxes out?
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjois wrote:
Fox, I've followed your highly rational postings since before I came here, three years ago. Do you have any suggestions on how one might impart the same rationality, given the situation?

I'd feel SO much better if they were trying to steal a couple of hundred bucks from me, rather than just being ignorant of basic accountancy and common sense...

As a private employer, she is likely worried about accidentally participating in tax fraud. After all, although you know you are leaving the country, she has no way of being certain you will not come right back and keep working with someone else, a circumstance under which you would still end up with tax liability on those paychecks. I am not certain you can succeed here; I work at a public school, and I thought perhaps you did as well when I posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: