Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Useful Timescales for First-Timer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tremault

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Useful Timescales for First-Timer Reply with quote

I haven't spotted anything like this and I think it would be useful for many people.
This may be especially helpful for those trying to judge how far ahead they need to be prepared and which positions to go for.
Of course, this is based on my experience. yours may differ slightly.

Information relevant to the UK

prepare your visa documents.
degree, you should already have.

apply for your Criminal Record Check
You cannot get an enhanced disclosure. only companies who are going to employ you can apply for one of those and they are specific to that company. you have to get a basic check. Disclosure Scotland are the place to go for that. Don't let the 'Scotland' part fool you. they are the correct place to go in the UK for a CRC. The time-scale for getting this is variable. you could get it within a week, or within a few weeks. it depends on if your criminal record is clear or if there are any complications or if you have filled out the forms correctly.

Notarise them
Find a notary public, there will usually be one in a radius of 20 miles of most places. remember that your notary public will have a full time job, will likely be a solicitor so will have a busy schedule. make an appointment. you could be waiting for over a week to get in.
just a note here, to make sure they are notarised properly.
The degree will be a copy and a coversheet, attached securely and with a statement verifying it as a true copy. the criminal record check, if you didn't ask disclosure scotland to notarise it, your solicitor MUST write on it the certification he is performing on it. true original is probably sufficient. your Notary public should know. If he doesn't then he needs to figure it out. It's what you're paying him/her for.
if it's not notarised properly....

Apostille
send them to the guys in milton keynes. I'm pretty sure you can't go in person any more. They will do it in a day or so and send it back to you.
if it is not notarised properly, you will have to get it fixed and send it back to them. they won't charge you for apostille again, but you'll have t pay the postage costs again. so ths can take either 3 days or 6 days, (if your notary public sees you right away)

get your job.

post your documents by fed ex.
You might think you can get a better rate or time by another service. I thought this and discovered that I wasted my time. FedEx is the fastest and best value. DHL seem better, but you have to have an account with them and that is not straightforward
To get your documents picked up on the same day, you have to put in your order before lunchtime. otherwise your pickup will be the next day. They claim to deliver in 3 days but it can be quicker.
(If you have a Staples near you, it may be worth enquiring about their DHL service.)

Visa sponsorship.
Your sponsor will have to submit your documents to the ministry of justice or whatever it's called. it will take 4 working days to process.

Visa application.
download the appropriate forms from the consulate before hand. Fill in what you can.
Time scale is 5 working days to process, add another 2 for mailing, and you have a total waiting time of roughly 8-9 days to get your visa by post.
Doing it in person is quicker. you can get it on the same day I believe. but you have to live near London.

Last edited by tremault on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidm933

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, just wanted to add a couple of things.

Firstly, you don't need to use a notary, notaries are usually quite expensive, a registered solicitor can legalise the document. They should charge only a fiver or so.

Secondly, I have found that DHL gave the best rates and you can drop the documents off at any Staples store as they have DHL service points, which means no waiting around for the courier to come and best of all, you don't need an account.

Hope this helps!
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I'd like to second that a solicitor certifying your documents is enough, although I did that at the end of 2010 so perhaps it's changed now. In any case, at the time it was still stated that documents had to be notarised but I (and many others) got by with a solicitor's stamp.
tremault

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys!
David, did your DHL service have a quick service? If a person were to go to staples, would that DHL get the documents there within a few days?
I couldn't find that information on their website so it will be useful to have for future applicants.

Also, thanks for the note about the solicitor. I think the dept. in Milton Keynes is the best ones to ask for confirmation on that. As long as they accept it then they will apostille it and it will be fine, won't it?
The apostille is what Korean immigration want.
davidm933

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the service is express, if i remember correctly it should take DHL 4-5 days to deliver. More info can be found here:

http://www.dhlservicepoint.co.uk/staples.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: