Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frustrated - No Jobs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firearcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Frustrated - No Jobs Reply with quote

I am frustrated beyond belief. I have many years' experience in Korea, my TESOL and all modesty aside I am a clean normal looking individual average build, height, still have a full head of hair.......

And yet I cannot even get an interview. I have written and re-written my resume over a dozen times. I have offered to take a lower salary. I have offered to work for public or private practically almost anywhere in Korea. I'm not young nor am I female. I wish I was. Shocked Confused Since many jobs seem to demand this which has more to do with optics than skills or competence.

According to my current employer I was forced to start my contract in the middle of the month and not allowed to take sick leave at the start last year. The day before my job started I was hospitalized and very sick and unable to start for 10 days. Been healthy every day since. The only thing I can figure is that issue, my age and my gender are all playing a part here in my lack of success. I will soon need to get a ticket and depart as time is running out. This was going to be my last year here regardless. Not how I wanted to end it all.

Anyone else in a similar predicament?
FastForward

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have sent your r�sum� to every recruiter on Dave's and post your r�sum� on the job board and have not received a single hit? With your experience, I would think you could get something, especially since you are willing to work any where. How old are you?
Dodge7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about going back home and bringing yourself back to respectability. Get a real job there and get out of this mire.
happiness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hows your picture? i cant believe theres no position for you. You need to walk into a few places. Make sure youre appealing and presentable (i know, but youd be surprised).
Firearcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 46, old but not THAT old. I have had 2 interviews and got neither job despite the fact that both interviews went well. Had some return emails, lots of that and "we'll get back to you" but most do not.

I apply to websites who have "hundreds of jobs" yet where the bleep are they? My first year here I had a job the following day. My 3rd year I had to beat the recruiters off with a stick and had over a dozen offers. This year.....howling wolves, tumbleweeds......blowing winds.....silence.

I look late 30's, dressed in shirt and tie with short clean hair.

Can't get any younger so a trip to Thailand for that sex change might be my last resort.

Rolling Eyes
newb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firearcher wrote:
I am 46, old but not THAT old. I have had 2 interviews and got neither job despite the fact that both interviews went well. Had some return emails, lots of that and "we'll get back to you" but most do not.

I apply to websites who have "hundreds of jobs" yet where the bleep are they? My first year here I had a job the following day. My 3rd year I had to beat the recruiters off with a stick and had over a dozen offers. This year.....howling wolves, tumbleweeds......blowing winds.....silence.

I look late 30's, dressed in shirt and tie with short clean hair.

Can't get any younger so a trip to Thailand for that sex change might be my last resort.

Rolling Eyes

Those days are history. Unless you're a girl fresh outta college with blond hair and blue eyes you have extremely minute chance.

Even the PS's have started to discriminate. And most of the perks and benefits are slowly but surely diminishing in the PS contracts. The job market has definitely turned in favor of employers now.

When I look around all I see is young and naive kids running around in the PS getting whipped by their Korean co-teachers. And that how most Korean co-teachers like it.
Firearcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. I even tried swearing and prayer but those were dead ends yielding no result.
Guajiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firearcher wrote:
I completely agree. I even tried swearing and prayer but those were dead ends yielding no result.

There are lots of jobs in China, and salaries are on the rise. Might be worth a look.
creeper1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guajiro wrote:
Firearcher wrote:

There are lots of jobs in China, and salaries are on the rise. Might be worth a look.

Bad advice. Don't even think about it.

You gave up too early OP.

There are thousands of jobs available in Korea and you WILL get one.

Anyone foreign with a pulse will get one.

That is the way it was, is, and forever will be.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creeper1, you live in China. You don't live in Korea. You are an annoying troll with bad advice. Your aim is to lie to make China look terrible and Korea look wonderful. If Korea's so great, why aren't you working here? I bet if you tried, you wouldn't be able to get even a crap job in Korea. The market has changed drastically in the last few months.
zpeanut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need to relocate. I just turned down a job.

There are still many jobs being advertised on the internet, not to mention ones you could get from networking.

Don't give up!
Soft Machine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it - "still have a full head of hair." Hair as a prerequisite for a job. Yeah, superficiality rears its ugly head and is a reality in the ESL Korea game. But, to count on a job simply 'cause you've been here a while and have hair?

Not to be snarky, but the key these days is upgrading credentials beyond BA and TOEFL cert. You can be well into your 60s and teach here with a solid academic and employment history.
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
The market has changed drastically in the last few months.

Why?? What has happened in just the last few months?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetaFitX wrote:
Michlerish wrote:
I have no idea what the market is like in Busan, but sounds like they might not have as many positions open as Seoul.

Horrible. I've been here since 09'. Definitely the worst I've seen since I've arriving. Almost all of the jobs are 9-6/9-7 kindie/elementary. Lots of students have dropped due to the new gov't initiative and lots of schools have been closing.
newb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft Machine wrote:

Not to be snarky, but the key these days is upgrading credentials beyond BA and TOEFL cert. You can be well into your 60s and teach here with a solid academic and employment history.

Why do people keep advising others to upgrade their EFL credential at graduate school. The OP is over 40 and it would be like betting on a losing horse for him.

The global job market the way it is and will be for the near future, every johnny and jane can get EFL teaching job, the market is going down to drain.

Please don't tell others to upgrade their credentials IN EFL. You'll just kidding yourself. Upgrade in other field if you have the time and money, please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: