Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big cuts in public school jobs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: g Reply with quote

It's those god forsaken tests they have to take, that's why the English program isn't good. The important tests they take are mostly just translating grammar and listening. They are constantly thinking in Korean and trying to translate a Korean sentence in their head into an English sentence.

I asked my advanced class if they still did this and they said yes of course. I said to them to stop translating and they thought I was crazy. However, with the focus on standardized testing, the focus will remain on translating and picking apart ever single little bit of a sentence.
daz1979

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:

The Indians were originally hired because of a shortage of foriegners in EPIK. This was introduced before the recession. But now there is no shortage. I have met a couple of Indians who told me they have had their visas and contracts non renewed over the year or so. The Indians are being phased out. No cuts in most of EPIK for now. Maybe next year or the next couple of years, who knows? Mostly Seoul and Gyeonggi do getting cut. But even those places have stabilized.

Sorry, but this is not true at all. EPIK cuts have already begun. It started first with the middle school, private schools and high school positions. Any school with two teachers were cut to one to start and private schools were cut and told they could source their teachers from their own funds, should they require a NET. This year, the remaining middle schools and elementary schools are being cut. A 70% reduction is planned over the next 2 years.

I have seen the figures and discussed with the education offices.

Whether the plans change remains to be seen. The general feeling from Korean teachers is that it will pick up agin in a few years, for now the firefighting and cost cutting remains.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz1979 wrote:

I have seen the figures and discussed with the education offices.

Really? You, a random foreigner just walked into the education offices (more than one mind you) and they just handed over the figures and said "Here you are make yourself comfortable"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: