Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm bothered that joe public can look up my resume on Naver.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithington

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: I'm bothered that joe public can look up my resume on Naver. Reply with quote

I was talking to a Korean lady last night. A couple of weeks ago my friends and I got chatting to her and her friends over a game of pool. I told her my name...yadah yadah yadah. We run into them again last night at the same pub. She says, "Oh I looked up your resume on the internet" and then started discussing what she'd read. She was kind of boasting about her accomplishment. For my part I was very annoyed. I was bothered that my personal information had been posted 'openly' on the internet for all and sundry to see. I was bothered that she thought it was cool to look it up. And last, that she thought I'd be impressed by the fact she had looked it up. Is there no privacy anymore? Why the hell are our personal details posted openly on the internet? When I post my resume on a job website I assume it's secure and that joe public can't access it. But I just did a Naver search for my name, then a google search and my resume is all over the place. I take my privacy very seriously. But with all the new 'communications technology' out there it looks like privacy is dead.

Shocked

Last edited by Smithington on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
highstreet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never googled someone before? I think most women do it these days, or at least check out their social media profile. People also put their resumes on their personal site, along with other relevant information.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm bothered that joe public can look up my resume on Na Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
When I post my resume on a job website I'm assuming it's secure and that joe public can't access it. Is privacy dead?

Why would you assume that?
And yes, you're not in Kansas anymore Toto. You are a commodity just like pork bellies and frozen orange juice concentrate and advertised as such.

Smithington wrote:
I was talking to a Korean lady last night....

We run into them again last night at the same pub.
She says, "Oh I looked up your resume on the internet"
I was bothered that she thought it was okay to look it up.
And last, that she thought I'd be impressed by the fact she looked it up.

You have a fan. She must have been quite impressed with you to go to all that trouble to look you up, remember you after the fact and then catch up to you to let you know that she remembered you.

PigeonFart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very annoying (and downright unprofessional from my western perspective) that your recruiter put your resume online for all to see. I had mine online too, so i emailed my recruiters and asked them nicely to remove it. They did. So try that.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule of thumb: If you post something on the internet it is not private, don't expect it to be because... It is not.

If your recruiter posted it on the internet when you had only passed it out privatly than you have something to complain about. If not, than you simply don't understand that the internet is not a private place (just like if you posted your resume on a physical cork board at the subway station(not public anymore).
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Korean phenomenon.

There is a general lack of personal privacy here, its a communal society. Everything is open to the collective.

Other countries don't post up peoples private details on the www.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my past neighbour told me that he and his brother in immigration looked up all my information to pass the time. He knew things about me that I hadn't told him, so I guess he wasn't boasting.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although recruiting agencies in the West might be more transparent with what they're doing with your information, it's still a concern. I've came across a few resumes that had a lot of stupid stuff on them like their SIN numbers, and personal phone numbers of previous managers. Once you send out your resume, you have no idea who's going to read it so don't put anything on it that will come back to bite you later. Also, this really should be common sense but don't put your full address, DOB, Drivers license number, SIN number, etc. These days it's also worth it to get a cheap pay-as-you-go phone for nothing else except looking for jobs.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
Its a Korean phenomenon.

There is a general lack of personal privacy here, its a communal society. Everything is open to the collective.

Other countries don't post up peoples private details on the www.

No actually it is a world wide phenomenon...its called the internet. What people post, write, upload on the internet is usually not very private. Expecting privacy when posting online is pointless.

What is astounding is how many people will post so much personal information about themselves online thinking no one will see it or that it will somehow "disapear" after "a while".

You think in other countries your details do not end up online...think again!

Heck, where I work, when they hire people, it is now ROUTINE to do an online check on applicants. What you find freely floating around out there will floor you my friend. My employer (public sector) is not even the most throughrough in their online snooping. It gets far more expansive in the private sector and again, people these days publish their entire lives online and this often has sad consequences....I have countless stories on this!

Some are sad but some show how ignorant of reality some people are.

Before posting your resume online (ANYWHERE), do please take the time to READ the terms of service of the site, esp the section on privacy of information....
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
One of my past neighbour told me that he and his brother in immigration looked up all my information to pass the time. He knew things about me that I hadn't told him, so I guess he wasn't boasting.

I would have asked for his brother's name and sued him and the immigration office. It's one thing to look up people's info when you've got the clearance to do so, it's another to share it with someone who doesn't.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="12ax7"]
andrewchon wrote:
... sued him and the immigration office....

That was funny.... You're not home any more.

Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for facebook, I think you can adjust your privacy settings so that all people get is a picture and a couple of minor pieces of information. I don't twitter. So, I have no idea about that. Don't think there's that much that can be found if you don't post things.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also many of us have common enough names that multiple profiles for facebook came up. So, I found nothing on myself. Whew! It's what shows up in the west that matters most.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ttompatz"]
12ax7 wrote:
andrewchon wrote:
... sued him and the immigration office....

That was funny.... You're not home any more.

You laugh, but I have firsthand experience dealing with this sort of thing in Korea. I wouldn't need to sue. The mere threat of it would suffice to get things done.
kuftae

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since its out there, better post an updated resume on the internet. Even better, take control of it and make a personal (professional) website with those types of things on them and it will make you stand out from the crowd when your grinding for a good position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: