Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm bothered that joe public can look up my resume on Naver.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:

Yeah that was my point in another thread. This isn't that thread. You put your ethnicity out there, in the future maybe you shouldn't do that. I don't think I am stretching when I say most Koreans take your ethnicity into consideration when they talk to you or see you in a public place.

Actually, another poster brought up ethnicity.

I'm tired of your flip-flopping and arbitrariness. Please address whatever issue is in the thread and stop taking issue with me personally and especially my ethnic background.

I think it's time to make this whole "Are you ethnically Korean? That makes your post invalid and you are biased" a TOS issue. We're college educated adults. We can do better than that.

To hiamnotcool- Do not bring up my ethnicity in any more posts. I will not bring up yours. I have been patient in dealing with it so far, I will not be so in the future. Thank you.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:

I didn't say anything about ethnic profiling in the other thread because at least your intentions were meant well to a degree, but I really hope you don't want to carry that argument over to this thread...

I didn't bring it into this thread, someone else did. I was actually responding to a post by Captain Corea. It may see like I am singling out Steelrails but I'm not. We just happened to have the same discussion on another thread. I can understand how it may seem like I am talking specifically about him though, but that wasn't my intention.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just state your opinion and let it stand on it's own.

Ok. I don't like male gyopos. My experiences with them have all been bad.

I also don't like Romans.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:

Yeah that was my point in another thread. This isn't that thread. You put your ethnicity out there, in the future maybe you shouldn't do that. I don't think I am stretching when I say most Koreans take your ethnicity into consideration when they talk to you or see you in a public place.

Actually, another poster brought up ethnicity.

I'm tired of your flip-flopping and arbitrariness. Please address whatever issue is in the thread and stop taking issue with me personally and especially my ethnic background.

I think it's time to make this whole "Are you ethnically Korean? That makes your post invalid and you are biased" a TOS issue. We're college educated adults. We can do better than that.

To hiamnotcool- Do not bring up my ethnicity in any more posts. I will not bring up yours. I have been patient in dealing with it so far, I will not be so in the future. Thank you.

Actually if you think about it I am addressing the issue in this thread. The OP said that he gave someone his resume and it was posted online without his consent. Now all of his personal information is out there for people to scrutinize. You actually volunteered personal information about yourself on a public internet forum. It seems to be annoying you quite a bit that you are being scrutinized for it. Imagine how the OP feels.

If you don't want to discuss race or ethnicity, maybe you shouldn't post in threads about race and ethnicity.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Honestly, man - I think we'd all be better off.

No, the people that actually get treated horribly by their employers or businesses won't be better off when you try to make them feel like it's their fault. New people that are thinking of coming to Korea won't be better off if they are given the same canned excuses for why some Korean people don't want to be around them. Most ESL teachers I know may believe this for 6 months to a year but then after that the facade wears off.

I wouldn't even be wondering what the ethnicity and geographic location of some people were if their posts weren't so far from reality. If a poster doesn't want to be judged based on those factors, then don't publicize them here. Usually people are offering their experience and background to try to give their posts some kind of credibility. Sometimes this backfires and it does the opposite. I guess to prevent this maybe you should encourage people not to post their personal details on here.

woah there fella. Are you honestly saying that Gyopos can't have a shit time of it as well? That it's only the white man that can feel the pain of a crap employer here?

Again ,I'm a "white' guy, and I agree with a lot of what he says. Not ALL of it, mind you, but a lot of it.

is my opinion more worthwhile than his simply because of the color of my skin??

WTF, man. Tis is getting asinine.

No doubt you'll counter with - but, but - race matters here!

Wel, so does height... and weight! And whether someone is decent looking or not. Or whether they have a positive attitude or not - or if they smell or... well, you get the point.

Do we need to have a bio for everyone giving an opinion on here? Should they list ALL of their stats for you so that you deem them worthy of sharing their thoughts on a given subject?

Give it a rest, man. This is a (relatively) anonymous internet forum where people share their thoughts and experiences on living in Korea. It's up to the reader to discern which posts ring true.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Honestly, man - I think we'd all be better off.

No, the people that actually get treated horribly by their employers or businesses won't be better off when you try to make them feel like it's their fault. New people that are thinking of coming to Korea won't be better off if they are given the same canned excuses for why some Korean people don't want to be around them. Most ESL teachers I know may believe this for 6 months to a year but then after that the facade wears off.

I wouldn't even be wondering what the ethnicity and geographic location of some people were if their posts weren't so far from reality. If a poster doesn't want to be judged based on those factors, then don't publicize them here. Usually people are offering their experience and background to try to give their posts some kind of credibility. Sometimes this backfires and it does the opposite. I guess to prevent this maybe you should encourage people not to post their personal details on here.

woah there fella. Are you honestly saying that Gyopos can't have a shit time of it as well? That it's only the white man that can feel the pain of a crap employer here?

Again ,I'm a "white' guy, and I agree with a lot of what he says. Not ALL of it, mind you, but a lot of it.

is my opinion more worthwhile than his simply because of the color of my skin??

WTF, man. Tis is getting asinine.

No doubt you'll counter with - but, but - race matters here!

Wel, so does height... and weight! And whether someone is decent looking or not. Or whether they have a positive attitude or not - or if they smell or... well, you get the point.

Do we need to have a bio for everyone giving an opinion on here? Should they list ALL of their stats for you so that you deem them worthy of sharing their thoughts on a given subject?

Give it a rest, man. This is a (relatively) anonymous internet forum where people share their thoughts and experiences on living in Korea. It's up to the reader to discern which posts ring true.

I don't intend to ask people for personal info but if they volunteer it I will take it into consideration. I understand a lot of gyopos have a hard time here too. Actually I think white people have it easy here, but that's just me.
I'll give it a rest, but if it becomes relevant again I don't see why it shouldn't be brought up.
optik404

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This board is starting to feel a bit Stormfront-ish.

Do the apologist-haters just want everyone to agree with what they say? What is even the point of coming to an internet forum if everyone just goes along with everything you say.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:

Do the apologist-haters just want everyone to agree with what they say? What is even the point of coming to an internet forum if everyone just goes along with everything you say.

Tell me where anything I said had white supremacist tendencies. I would like to know. People seem to be throwing out the word "stormfront" to try to scare me into shutting my mouth.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:
Just state your oIpinion and let it stand on it's own.

Ok. I don't like male gyopos. My experiences with them have all been bad.

I also don't like Romans.

Romans go home!

We should just focus on who we really cant stand- The folks at Eatyourkimchi aka the Korean People's Front.
optik404

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
optik404 wrote:

Tell me where anything I said had white supremacist tendencies. I would like to know. People seem to be throwing out the word "stormfront" to try to scare me into shutting my mouth.

Did you read what I said? The entire point of a forum is to hear different opinions on matters. No one is trying to shut you up.

But when people start offering opinions and you discredit them because of their ethnicity, it's irrational.

But I understand, it's the internet, and people like to put on a persona. It happens in every forum I frequent.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Romans go home!

We should just focus on who we really cant stand- The folks at Eatyourkimchi aka the Korean People's Front.

Or the People's Front of Korea.

I might not agree with everything you say SR, but you're alright by me.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:
optik404 wrote:

Did you read what I said? The entire point of a forum is to hear different opinions on matters. No one is trying to shut you up.

But when people start offering opinions and you discredit them because of their ethnicity, it's irrational.

But I understand, it's the internet, and people like to put on a persona. It happens in every forum I frequent.

So are you going to explain how I sound like someone from stormfront? My problem is with people of Korean ethnicity claiming any NET here is whining when they say they are being discriminated against. That would include non-white people. It is a trend I notice on this forum. Now I said I can put this to rest and move on, but if you want to carry on please create a new thread. I would be more than happy to talk about it.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's not what is happening - that's your perspective of what is happening. You're not stating all that was said on the subject, and you're chalking it up to ethnicity - when there's a white guy saying the same thing - THAT is what is making ya sound like someone from StormFront.

Notice how the rules of the forum say something about discussing the topic, not the poster? How about you drop this race thing for good - no need to threaten to bring it up again - it's really doing ya no good.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, that's not what is happening - that's your perspective of what is happening. You're not stating all that was said on the subject, and you're chalking it up to ethnicity - when there's a white guy saying the same thing - THAT is what is making ya sound like someone from StormFront.

I don't agree with that, and I agree with the other poster who said you are trying to use the Stormfront comparisons to shame him into silence.
The other poster has made no racist remarks.
Koharski
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the topic.

Like others have said, argue the post, not the poster!!!!

Koharski
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: