Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is living in a university area boardinghouse like?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
shostahoosier



Joined: 14 Apr 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: What is living in a university area boardinghouse like? Reply with quote

I'm looking at living options for graduate school and since I wont be able to work for the first semester, I was considering a boardinghouse.

Are they bad? Are they expensive?

I have the options to stay in the dorm and to save a lot of money, but I'm not sure if I can share a room with another person at this stage in my life. A boardinghouse would allow me to have my own room right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spaceman82



Joined: 01 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're talking about a 하숙집 and not a 고시원, but let me know if I'm wrong about that. I've lived in both for extended periods of time, and didn't find the 하숙집 to be that bad. Of course, the different boarding houses can really vary a great deal, so you might want to look around a fair bit before deciding on one. No matter where you go, however, I'm pretty sure you will have the option to have your own room, though the bathroom is often shared.

With that said, I only think it's a good money-saving option if you're going to control your lifestyle very closely by eating the food at the 하숙집 twice a day. Otherwise, the boarding fees will probably be about the same as the rent for a small place in an area like Haebangchon (I'm just going to assume you're going to be in Seoul--sorry if I'm wrong about that), and the savings won't really justify the step down in lifestyle, in my opinion.

Hope that helps. I can go into more detail if you'd like, but don't want to put up some huge post. Just let me know if you have any questions or want me to elaborate on anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shostahoosier



Joined: 14 Apr 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman82 wrote:
I think you're talking about a 하숙집 and not a 고시원, but let me know if I'm wrong about that. I've lived in both for extended periods of time, and didn't find the 하숙집 to be that bad. Of course, the different boarding houses can really vary a great deal, so you might want to look around a fair bit before deciding on one. No matter where you go, however, I'm pretty sure you will have the option to have your own room, though the bathroom is often shared.

With that said, I only think it's a good money-saving option if you're going to control your lifestyle very closely by eating the food at the 하숙집 twice a day. Otherwise, the boarding fees will probably be about the same as the rent for a small place in an area like Haebangchon (I'm just going to assume you're going to be in Seoul--sorry if I'm wrong about that), and the savings won't really justify the step down in lifestyle, in my opinion.

Hope that helps. I can go into more detail if you'd like, but don't want to put up some huge post. Just let me know if you have any questions or want me to elaborate on anything.


Yes! That definitely helps! I was looking specifically at 하속집 as a Korean friend suggested it, but I wasn't sure exactly what they were all about.

You are also correct in assuming that I will be attending graduate school in Seoul.

I have the option to live on campus in one of the dorms for a price of between 1.2 Million (with 3 roommates) or 1.5 Million (1 roommate). The university's dorm website didn't show any single options though in using Naver I have seen pictures of rooms in the dorm building that only have 1 bed.

I don't know if I can live with a roommate, and more importantly, I worry about what it might be like to have a Korean roommate (for their sake as well as mine).

I wont be working and have some savings, but I know from experience that its easy to blow through money with paying rent. I think it will be hard to beat 1.5 Million (including meals!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spaceman82



Joined: 01 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that 1.5 million won per semester including meals? If so, that's not bad at all. Many of my classmates were staying in the dorms with roommates, and they seemed to fair pretty well, though there was some "idiosyncratic" behavior (on both sides, I'm sure). Just to give you a price range on 하숙집s, they're probably between 350,000 won (maybe cheaper if certain areas) and 600,000 won a month depending on location, quality, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shostahoosier



Joined: 14 Apr 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman82 wrote:
Is that 1.5 million won per semester including meals? If so, that's not bad at all. Many of my classmates were staying in the dorms with roommates, and they seemed to fair pretty well, though there was some "idiosyncratic" behavior (on both sides, I'm sure). Just to give you a price range on 하숙집s, they're probably between 350,000 won (maybe cheaper if certain areas) and 600,000 won a month depending on location, quality, etc.


Yeah it includes meals which is why I'm not sure if I can responsibly pass it up.

A semester is about 4 months right? Are rental units around campuses usually cheaper? Could I get away with 2 million in rent for a semester of an off-campus apartment you think?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spaceman82



Joined: 01 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 4 months seems to be right. To be honest, I think the food is where the savings is going to come in--for either the dorm or 하숙집. I pay 500,000 won a month in rent right now and have two bedrooms, so 2 million is definitely doable. Haebangchon is good if you don't have much money for a deposit --and Craigslist also seems to have occasional advertisements for places that are inexpensive and don't require key money.

In terms of prices around campuses, it really depends on where you are. If you're looking near Seoul National University, for example, things are going to be cheaper; if you're looking near Yonsei, on the other hand, I would expect normal prices. With that said, the areas around universities will generally have a wider variety of inexpensive housing available (고시원, 하숙집, and 원룸-하숙집 hybrids).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shostahoosier



Joined: 14 Apr 2009

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman82 wrote:
About 4 months seems to be right. To be honest, I think the food is where the savings is going to come in--for either the dorm or 하숙집. I pay 500,000 won a month in rent right now and have two bedrooms, so 2 million is definitely doable. Haebangchon is good if you don't have much money for a deposit --and Craigslist also seems to have occasional advertisements for places that are inexpensive and don't require key money.

In terms of prices around campuses, it really depends on where you are. If you're looking near Seoul National University, for example, things are going to be cheaper; if you're looking near Yonsei, on the other hand, I would expect normal prices. With that said, the areas around universities will generally have a wider variety of inexpensive housing available (고시원, 하숙집, and 원룸-하숙집 hybrids).


Thanks Spaceman82, you've been very helpful. My university will be in the Dongjak/Heukseok-dong area. I once talked to a guy who was able to get an apartment with no key money and it was 200,000W a month. I havent seen his place but it almost sounds too scary.

I'm totally fine with living in a shoebox too as I dont really expect to entertain guests, other than the occasional visitor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spaceman82



Joined: 01 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to help. I'm sure you can find something reasonable in that area. Good luck whatever direction you decide to go in though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
highstreet



Joined: 13 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in a Hasuk. They will vary in price and quality. If you want your own bathroom, expect to pay at least 500+ a month. Do not pick the first place you choose and always haggle. Make sure to ask about whether they having heating or a/c.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DanseurVertical



Joined: 24 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shostahoosier wrote:
Thanks Spaceman82, you've been very helpful. My university will be in the Dongjak/Heukseok-dong area. I once talked to a guy who was able to get an apartment with no key money and it was 200,000W a month. I havent seen his place but it almost sounds too scary.

I'm totally fine with living in a shoebox too as I dont really expect to entertain guests, other than the occasional visitor.

That does sound scary.
Even if no key money, there was some kind of deposit and contract, right?

I'm late 20s now, but I think it would be fun to among younger Koreans. So I'm leaning towards 하숙집. Still, curious if any Koreans rent out studio apartments on a monthly basis.

I would prefer quite a lot to have my own shower. Is this rare at 하숙집? What about at 고시원?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International