Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motor vehicle pollution in Korea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Motor vehicle pollution in Korea. Reply with quote

How is it that a a single motor vehicle in Korea can produce so much dreadful pollution? Every time a car or 'autobike' passes me I have to cover my mouth and nose to escape the inevitable fumes. The pollution produced by every single vehicle in Korea is just dreadful, and one of the things I dislike most about this place.

Are there no vehicular pollution laws here at all? Or is it just a case f them not being enforced (like everything else).]

Either way, it's highly unpleasant.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are in fact emissions tests when cares are due for inspection.

That said, I have never heard of a car failing those tests, and my guess as to the smoke/pollution you are seeing is due to a fair number of people putting paint-thinner (신나) in their tanks as a fuel supplement/all out fuel.

I have seen cars not more than a year out bellow out huge plumes of smoke even time they punch the accelerator...and I am certain it is because of the reason above.
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely noticed the pollution too. Sometimes the air is so bad when I bike to work that I can't even get a breath in. I've also been coughing up crud for the last month straight. I guess that's happens when someone like me moves from the backwoods of Minnesota to one of the most densely populated places on earth.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder why a lot of urban kids in this country has serious skin problems.
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor vehicle pollution in Korea. Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
How is it that a a single motor vehicle in Korea can produce so much dreadful pollution? Every time a car or 'autobike' passes me I have to cover my mouth and nose to escape the inevitable fumes. The pollution produced by every single vehicle in Korea is just dreadful, and one of the things I dislike most about this place.

Are there no vehicular pollution laws here at all? Or is it just a case f them not being enforced (like everything else).]

I wonder what the whiners and haters of Korea would do if it suddenly became Utopia here?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got news for you 'thington style: Korean cars are Detroit designed. If only Koreans could buy more Japanese Honda, Mazda, Toyota cars the problems will be solved but their pride won't allow that.
heathermvn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor vehicle pollution in Korea. Reply with quote

There's actually pollution everywhere I go now. There's no stopping it. I wish there was a vacuum cleaner we could use to suck up all that dirty air.

Smithington wrote:

World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/article/dn19180-air-pollution-could-increase-risk-of-suicide.html

Quote:
First came news that air pollution from traffic increases the risk of sudden cardiac death among people who have lung or heart disease (itself associated with air pollution). Then came news that air pollution might also have a direct relationship with increased risk of suicide.
An Atlanta-based study, published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, found that the traffic pollution is associated with reduced heart rate variability (HRV), which in turn increases risk of sudden cardiac death.
This may help explain why previous research has shown people are more prone to heart attack in the hour immediately after sitting in traffic.
As if that's not scary enough, another study, this one in South Korea, has demonstrated a link between suicide and high levels of particulate pollution. New Scientist also reports that "researchers who in the 1990s linked air pollution to asthma in a large group of Taiwanese children have now found that those with the condition were subsequently more likely to have killed themselves."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: