Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graffiti in Itaewon
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cities back home have passed bilaws making it illegal to sell spraypaint to anyone under 18. Unfortunately there are still juveniles over that age who think its okay to damage other people's private property. And yes, 99% of the time it's ego driven. I can tell you this, if I caught some kid spraying grafitti on my property (a neighbor's property, or even public property) he'd be very unlikely to make that mistake again.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Graffiti on anything but your own personal property is an abomination and an utterly juvenile and selfish act.

You know you're getting old when you start talking like this guy Laughing

Anyways, most tagging I see is crap and is basically a way for someone to boost their ego.

However, I've seen some illegal graffiti which was absolutely art.

This is especially the case in some European cities like Paris or Amsterdam where talented graffiti artists have made the sides of railway tracks look like beautiful galleries.

Some of Banksy's and other illegal street artists worl is marvelous and I support them 100%

Basiically I despise the hit and run taggers and graffitit artists with limited skills.

But there are some masterpieces out there and I think it's great that some young kids are expressing themselves through art and adding some flavor to a mundane city landscape.

Fine, I'll stroll over to Bansky's/your private property and spray paint a mural lionizing George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. Should be cool with that as long as the 'art' is good.

Oh wait, someone wouldn't be too thrilled about that. I guess its okay for him to spray paint his message over someone else's private property but it would be wrong for me to do so.

You can express yourself and add flavor to a city landscape without damaging other people's private property.

Also is it okay to do it to houses in Seoul because of their bland design, but it would be wrong to do it in Italy or France? That's really suspect logic and morals. People should be able to have "bland" houses and offices without fear of getting vandalized.

Quote:
Some cities back home have passed bilaws making it illegal to sell spraypaint to anyone under 18. Unfortunately there are still juveniles over that age who think its okay to damage other people's private property. And yes, 99% of the time it's ego driven. I can tell you this, if I caught some kid spraying grafitti on my property (a neighbor's property, or even public property) he'd be very unlikely to make that mistake again.

For once I agree with Scorpion.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romans Go Home! Laughing
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the a-holes 'tag' their own property, one they own that is. Ooops, guess THAT isn't going to happen in our life time. Or maybe their parent's or grandparent's place. Maybe their neighbors.

The simple, undisputable fact is that these losers are defacing OTHER PEOPLE'S property with crapy NOBODY wants or needs to see.

Maybe if mommy cut off their allowance or made them move out, they wouldn't be able to afford the paint. These are going to be the same idiots who biatch about someone painting up their building if and when they ever grow up and buy something of their own.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
How about the a-holes 'tag' their own property, one they own that is. Ooops, guess THAT isn't going to happen in our life time. Or maybe their parent's or grandparent's place. Maybe their neighbors.

The simple, undisputable fact is that these losers are defacing OTHER PEOPLE'S property with crapy NOBODY wants or needs to see.

Maybe if mommy cut off their allowance or made them move out, they wouldn't be able to afford the paint. These are going to be the same idiots who biatch about someone painting up their building if and when they ever grow up and buy something of their own.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7OA-S-wJJCI/TLdlCIwtZlI/AAAAAAAAAVg/DMN2uKUVIw4/s1600/banksy.jpg

http://blog.spycameras.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/cctv-monitoring.jpg

http://data.whicdn.com/images/7485547/banksy-graffiti-5_large.jpg

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/The-Leake-Street-Graffiti-Tunnel.jpg

http://images.essentialtravel.co.uk/24-hour-guides/images/photos/amsterdam/amsterdam-graf.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2696/4016845702_ddf4e98e8d_z.jpg

Here's some illegal graffiti.

This to me is true and beautiful art. I'm not sure how you can hate on this unless you're a bitter bastard in terms of your own life with no soul left inside you Laughing

The real graffiti out there is the mundane architecture which forms our cities creating a stain on the beautiful natural world. I mean look at these huge apartment complexes in Seoul and try to tell me they are visually appealing?

Real artistic and creative graffiti (legal or illegal) is beautiful. Again, I'm not talking about the taggers who lack talent, but the real artists out there.

If you are against these people (even if they decorate your own property) then you have simply become a gray person whose youth and joy in life has calcified.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Fine, I'll stroll over to Bansky's/your private property and spray paint a mural lionizing George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. Should be cool with that as long as the 'art' is good.

Yeah you obviously have no idea who Banksy is what what his art is about.

You just don't get it and your responses are incredibly lame.

Sorry dude, but you've grown into a bitter old man. If you're teenage self could see you now I wonder what he'd think?

Old men who have lost their youth, laughter and joy for life are the worst element of humanity. They've gone so far from their inner child and have become lost and in turn become violent and build up boundaries to protect their own fragile ego.

It's too bad that your kind controls much of the world.
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ everything-is-everything

Kiss my ass. And reread the post. Defacing PRIVATE property, let alone public property, no matter the freaking perceived 'art value' by some, is intrusive and vain. Want to make a statement? Fine, do some art, and prop it up an the sidewalk. Or ASK for a building wall or edifice upon which you can spray your genious.

I'm not that old, and I enjoy creativity immensely; indeed,civil society could by-and-large use larger doses of it. But 'tagging' takes the choice out of the equation for the genneral population. I didn't buy a ticket to walk down the street, so why should I have to look at the crap. And let's be frank in saying that the thread is about 'tagging' and that is crap.

Honestly, given your input, one can only hope that some day an urban or
suburban Picaso takes a keen interest in decorating your property.

We are not talking about statements made against repressive regimes on properties controlled be despots. We are talking about ignorant a-holes defacing private and public property with images nobody cares to see aside from the schmucks doing the deed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: