Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The U.S. ranks #1 among 17, western countries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: The U.S. ranks #1 among 17, western countries Reply with quote

Quote:
If you ask young Americans how good their health is, they�ll tell you it�s great. The U.S. ranks #1 among 17 affluent, western countries in that regard, in the percentage of people aged 5 to 34 who rate their health as good. Unfortunately, when doctors look at people�s actual health, at indicators such as obesity, diabetes, and simply the chance that someone will die before his or her next birthday, the U.S. ranks last: young Americans are #17 out of 17 in real health.
The National Research Council and the National Institute of Medicine � the nation�s go-to sources for the best scientific assessments we have � recently issued a report entitled U.S. Health in International Perspective: Shorter Lives, Poorer Health. Although the press conveyed the punch line � �Younger Americans die earlier and live in poorer health than their counterparts in other developed countries� � your humble correspondent has looked through much of the 350+ pages and is here to report: It�s even worse than that.
The study�s findings signal how much the U.S. has slipped behind the rest of the advanced world in the last 40 years. And it exposes the disconnection between Americans� pride and Americans� reality.
The facts
As of the latest international data, a newborn�s life expectancy in the United States is 75.6 years for boys, 17th out of 17 countries [p. 39]. (Swiss, Australian, and Japanese boys live longest.) Life expectancy for newborn girls here is 80.8 years � 16th of out 17. (We are just above the Danes, while Japanese, French and Swiss girls live longest.) Since 1980, the U.S. dropped from the middle of the western pack in life expectancy to the bottom [pp. 42-43]. Moreover, America�s infant mortality rate, once better than the western average, is now notably worse than average [p. 68].
Most striking, the U.S. has been falling behind specifically in the life expectancy of those aged 50 and under [pp. 44ff]. Our seniors, especially those older than 80, are actually doing pretty well. They live as long, on average, as the elderly in comparable countries; and Americans 95 or older are #1 in the chances of getting to 100 [p. 48]. But it is our kids and young adults who have really fallen behind other westerners. Estimates of how many years of life, on average, people under 50 lose shows how exceptional we are. See the figure below for males; the absolute number of years lost for females is less, but the American women are also at the bottom [p. 50].

http://www.laprogressive.com/america-last-in-healthcare/

American young people have the most positive feeling about their health but actually have the worst health of the 17 nations surveyed.

This reminds me how American and Korean culture are opposites. No matter how bad your life is in America, Americans will always say it's wonderful even if they live in a trailer. Koreans will always tell you how horrible their life is even when it's pretty good.

I asked one of Korean co-workers how was her weekend and she said "it was horrible" I said "why, was it horrible?" she said "she had to do laundry" Then I thought to myself I had to do laundry this weekend too but that didn't make my whole weekend horrible. Rolling Eyes

BTW this is for one poster

Quote:
Take note: The U.S. numbers are not bad because of our minorities. When the researchers looked just at non-Hispanic whites, the U.S. rankings �hardly changed�

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about perception.

If you are told from a very young age that you are #1 then you will believe it to always be true (look at the fanaticism in North Korea).

They are starving and living in an isolated, highly restricted country but they will defend it with their lives against the "imperialist forces".

Two cheeks of the same backside.

No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point
rollo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it is wonderful, that's why so many people want to get into the U.S.. Also we do not wory about lists. It's the biggest party in history. the world imitates us, they watch our movies use our inventions. So keep reading those lists if that's what turns your crank. We just keep rolling along.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
We just keep rolling along.

Yes we will.
markness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
rollo wrote:
We just keep rolling along.

Yes we will.

LOL.
joelove

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have become heavier. Average adult weight has gone up about 15 pounds in US since 1990. Rising in other countries too. A lot of people are not living to be as old as their parents.

I don't know if there is a benefit in believing something that isn't true. Sometimes, maybe?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back! Very Happy

Just back from a bunch of business meetings on "the dark side". But I didn't get shot, or stabbed, or strip searched by airport security, that was nice.

Let me just say: it is shockingly bad over there. Shocked There was one mid-sized town in particular where there was nothing to eat except never ending rows of McD, Burger King, Applebee�s, DQ, Red Lobster, Red Robin, Taco Bell, etc. Not a single healthy "mom and pop" restaurant to be found. Sad Nobody wants to cook healthy food for their fellow citizens, oh no, they just want to "maximize profit"! Even the grocery store is 90% toxic garbage. Basically people there have no option but to become sick.

But yeah, those dudes have no idea there is a problem.

I'm just happy I have adjumas serving me tasty food again! Kimchi me!
rollo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's horrible. Just terrible. So many fighting to get in! Just shattering. Post another list.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
yes it's horrible. Just terrible. So many fighting to get in! Just shattering. Post another list.

ttompatz wrote:
It's all about perception.

KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:

What does this even mean? Confused
rollo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means as much as posting silly lists!! But carry on. perception : people trying to build up their own sense of inadequency by trying to tear others down perhaps is what I percieve. just laughing at it all.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollo wrote:
But it is wonderful, that's why so many people want to get into the U.S.. Also we do not wory about lists. It's the biggest party in history. the world imitates us, they watch our movies use our inventions. So keep reading those lists if that's what turns your crank. We just keep rolling along.

US does housing well. There is no other country in the developed world were you can get as amazing craftsmanship of a home as in America for the price. Clothes are also a great value in my home country along with food, gas, and entertainment (I stayed at the Hyatt in DC for $67 dollars a night woo woo!) but we do not do health care efficiently or even well at this point statically speaking.

It's important to address issues that need fixing and in America, health care needs major fixing.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's America baby....WE DO WHAT WE WANT! Cool
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
rollo wrote:

US does housing well. There is no other country in the developed world were you can get as amazing craftsmanship of a home as in America for the price.

That's just because the housing market crashed. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: