Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruiter Problem: Last minute change
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinship

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You love to pick fights and try to look innocent don't you. We all read your posts and we all can see how you feel about Koreans and hagwons. The rest of your post provides the evidence.

Quote:
how is the hagweon owner refusing at the outset to honor contractual obligations showing trust

Your refusal to allow for mitigating factors explains a lot.
Jaspercat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies so far!

I'll add a few more points, though:

In my contract under flights it only states that the school will provide flights to and from Korea. I knew many hagwons state this and still want the teacher to buy it first, to be reimbursed later, so I asked the recruiter what the school wanted (this was back in November) and I asked again a few weeks later just to be sure - both times he said that leaving dates would be arranged last minute and the school would not expect me to pay for flights so close to my departure date. In other words: don't worry, the school will cover it.

Fast forward to a matter of days ago another person from the same recruiting company says that the school's policy is and always has been that the teacher buys the ticket to Korea and is paid back later. Just want to emphasise that this is true! The school had no idea I was told differently back in November so it is not their fault that this problem exists now. The problem is with the recruiting agency who secured me a job but has neglected to give the right info.

One post suggested just paying for it so as to not get off to a bad start with the school, and had I still been in financial difficulty I would have said that was impossible, but I have got extra funds now and think that might just be the way to go. After all, apart from only letting me move into my apartment the night before training, the school has been pretty reasonable so far. I don't want to start my job in 2 weeks time with Korean staff thinking I was demanding by making them pay up front.

Thanks to the person who looked up flights - those were a little cheaper than I had found - sadly I'll be leaving during the week and there's a couple of travelling expenses I added on to flight costs which I was going to have to pay myself anyway. Still, I now have the money to cover my initial estimate so if it comes below that then awesome for me!

Now that the panic is out of the way, I'd really like to know if there's anything I can do to get back at the recruiter? What websites can I leave negative reviews on other than this one? Agencies cannot do this to people who are about to make a huge move in their lives - it's already stressful enough.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I asked you to be specific, kinship. "Your posts prove it" is not specific. State what it is in my posts that proves your assertion and how that proves it.

How do I feel about Koreans? Well, I've been dating an actual Korean woman for a few years. For almost five years, I was a leader in a Korean congregation of my church, I learned Korean back in the 1970s and have been involved in one way or another with Korea and Koreans since that time.

I am not jaded about Korea. I actually like the place and the vast majority of the people I've met there. The people I don't like are those who are dishonest. Care to guess where you fall on that short list?

What mitigating factors cancel honoring a contractual obligation at the very beginning of the contract? If the boss can't honor the very contract the boss offered, then the boss should simply withdraw the offer.

For the OP's case, I wouldn't buy what the recruiter's selling. Either the recruiter is incredibly incompetent or they are not telling the OP the truth. The OP, IMHO, should contact former teachers at that school to find out what the real deal is. Or simply find another place to work, perhaps assited in finding such by a competent and honest recruiter.

kinship wrote:
You love to pick fights and try to look innocent don't you. We all read your posts and we all can see how you feel about Koreans and hagwons. The rest of your post provides the evidence.

Quote:
how is the hagweon owner refusing at the outset to honor contractual obligations showing trust

Your refusal to allow for mitigating factors explains a lot.
Enrico Palazzo
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're saying a thread that has flame value here. Can you tone it down? I don't know who started it, but bashing other posters is verboten. Getting personal is against the TOS.
ontheway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Recruiter Problem: Last minute change Reply with quote

Jaspercat wrote:
Hey folks,

So I just got my visa from the consulate and I am due to leave for Korea in two weeks. Up until now my recruiting company has told me that the school will pay for my flights upfront but today I received an e mail saying that the school's policy is to have the teacher pay for the flights and to be reimbursed later. Now I am travelling from Scotland and flights are almost �1000 (about $1500) from where I live, I need to have money to last me until my first pay check but to be honest I doubt my funds will stretch to that. Had I been told before now I would have purchased tickets long before now when they were cheaper.

If I can't afford it, and I already have my visa sponsered by this school, what can I do? Are there actually any options open to me? I stand to lose more than the recruiters or school. I 100% understand it is not the school's fault, and I now know going with a recruiting agency is risky business and will not be doing it again. I don't want all the money I have spent already to go to waste (transcripts, visa costs etc are expensive in Scotland).

Any help or advice would be great!

Jaspercat wrote:

In my contract under flights it only states that the school will provide flights to and from Korea. I knew many hagwons state this and still want the teacher to buy it first, to be reimbursed later, so I asked the recruiter what the school wanted (this was back in November) and I asked again a few weeks later just to be sure - both times he said that leaving dates would be arranged last minute and the school would not expect me to pay for flights so close to my departure date. In other words: don't worry, the school will cover it.

Fast forward to a matter of days ago another person from the same recruiting company says that the school's policy is and always has been that the teacher buys the ticket to Korea and is paid back later. Just want to emphasise that this is true! The school had no idea I was told differently back in November so it is not their fault that this problem exists now. The problem is with the recruiting agency who secured me a job but has neglected to give the right info.

It is common in Korea for hogwans, just like public schools, to require employees to pay their own way. You should expect reimbursement "upon arrival; or during the first week; or on the first business day after your arrival" or some similar language that should be in your contract.

The best hogwans will not prepay for your flight. They reimburse. The majority of hogwans in Korea are honest and pay their employees everything they have due, provide national health insurance, pension etc.

Recruiters handle a lot of different schools, so they sometimes make mistakes and misquote terms. It could be confusion, a mistake or misunderstanding. However, like any other group of people, some recruiters lie to make a deal. You should always rely on what your contract says and not what the recruiter says. If your contract is unclear or if you have questions you should verify with the school and not the recruiter.

I experienced a case where an honest recruiter made this exact mistake with a new teacher. The contract clearly spelled out that reimbursement would be made to the teacher for the flight on a specific date after arrival, but the recruiter had guaranteed that the school would prepay. Did the recruiter lie or make a mistake? Who knows. In any case, the teacher should have known to rely on the contract and not the recruiter. In the end, the recruiter prepaid the flight himself, to save the deal, and he was repaid by the school upon arrival of the teacher.

It's good that the OP seems to have worked this out. Since the OP didn't post the actual wording, we can't say if the hogwan isn't following the contract, or if the contract is unclear, or if the recruiter passed on incorrect information for some unknown reason.

Assuming that the problem was with the school and giving advice accordingly in the absence of facts is proof of bias.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: