Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! What's a good company? Get a TESOL certificate or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Help! What's a good company? Get a TESOL certificate or not? Reply with quote

Hi! I'm sure you have been asked this a thousand times, but being new to this....I must ask...So, here's a bit of my story. I have a BA in English and had a Korean roommate in college. We were really good friends and I have always loved traveling...anyways, so since college I have wanted to go, but I wanted to pay off my school loans, credit cards, etc. I ended up working in retail and am now a bookstore manager. Time flies and now I'm 30. I am finally getting the courage/finances to go, but there is just so much to think about. I'm not married so I think it is easier to go since I'm single, and I have done research over the years about teaching English overseas...but there is just SO much info out there. I have been looking into getting a TESOL certificate at my local university, but it takes a year....should I invest the time and money? Is it worth it? Is there a shorter and cheaper TESOL certificate that you recommend? It's just that I do not have any experience teaching and I don't want to look like a dummy, I guess...Also, is there any schools/job recruiters that you recommend? And I guess lastly, does 30/31 seem too old to go? Sometimes I just can't believe how time flies...anyways, thanks so much!
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a cheap online TESOL. As long as it is 100 or more hours, it should be fine. This is Korea, where they don't give much favor to better ones, like the CELTA or Trinity. Your university one would not be a bad idea IF they allow you to later apply the credit toward an MA. Then you are half way to an MA, and may as well be doing the full MA, IMHO.

I was your age when I came here. No probs with that, but you will find yourself stuck if you stay more than a few years. You are using the prime of your life in a job that is basically a dead-end. Not much of any advancement in an industry that is slowly going downhill here. There are fewer kids for school each year, here, and they are closing. Low birth rate is the cause. No getting around that.

Honestly not sure I'd recommend coming here anymore, due to the future of the industry and your age. It will come back to bite you at 40 when you have no other experience in something worthwhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: