Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speaking of the net, how about bloggers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthquakez

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Speaking of the net, how about bloggers? Reply with quote

I just read the thread about how anybody with the net can look up somebody thru their Korean employer putting their cv-resume out there. I'm with the side that says it's a violation of privacy, no recruiter ever asked me my permission to put my cv online and when I found it I asked them to take it down.

This brings me to the bloggers who blog on Korean life. I've often wondered why the hell they do it when anybody can read a Korean teacher's blog on the net if they've got English reading skills.

I remember the drama re lousy korea -too far over the top. Korean rum diary -too easily identified, I'm surprised he got a job elsewhere because East Asians generally are hypersensitive to foreigners making comments about their country and take it personally. Blackboy in korea or blackchild as he sometimes calls himself - rips into the Koreans, Taiwanese and Saudi Arabians who messed with him.

I don't understand why you'd write that kind of stuff when you can be so easily identified. I'm surprised that the black blogger slammed Koreans and Korea and is now slamming Saudi Arabia and their people, and thinks nobody's reading it except Americans, Canadians, Brits etc. Even moderate bloggers like Brian Deutsch came under fire when he didn't say the garden was all rosey in Korea.

I'd never under any circumstances blog about Korea or other countries where people don't have a tradition of critique and free speech when I'm working in those countries. Anybody including employers and immigration can just look your blog up. What do others think?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem lies in the simple fact that they think their constitutional right to free speech travels with them around the globe.

It is all fine and rosy until the police bang down your door and you are charged with defamation of character (big issue in Asia), damaging a business reputation (serious fines, penalties and/or jail are possible...

or in the case of Saudi,... the thought police show up and drag your butt off to a Saudi lock-up till you are sent packing with nothing more than the clothes on your back.

Your "rights" from home do not come in your suitcase with you. Far too many people forget than simple fact... they complain or pay for it later.

fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free speech is guaranteed in the ROK constitution. Criticizing how one exercises free speech is a form of free speech, right? Of course people can look up your blog and it might affect you negatively when you say something that's not popular.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few of them have anything important to say about living and teaching in Korea other than "Everything is perfect! Hooray for Korea! Here's a picture of kimchi and Seoul Tower" so there doesn't seem to be much for them to worry about, other than maybe the NTS wondering how a couple of them made all of that extra income and where it came from if they're supposed to be on E2 visas. But as we've all see, kiss enough butts and the NTS and Immigration will look the other way.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
The problem lies in the simple fact that they think their constitutional right to free speech travels with them around the globe.

It is all fine and rosy until the police bang down your door and you are charged with defamation of character (big issue in Asia), damaging a business reputation (serious fines, penalties and/or jail are possible...

or in the case of Saudi,... the thought police show up and drag your butt off to a Saudi lock-up till you are sent packing with nothing more than the clothes on your back.

Your "rights" from home do not come in your suitcase with you. Far too many people forget than simple fact... they complain or pay for it later.

You're correct and hopefully bloggers are smart enough to realize where that boundry is in a foreign country. Be informative, be edgy, be relevant, but be smart, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: