Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samsung company wage problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Samsung company wage problem Reply with quote

Hi, hope I'm posting this in the appropriate forum because its not related to ESL but its is related to working in Korea.

I've got a good Thai friend who worked for the Samsung company in Osan for about 4 years (shes since left and is currently working in the same capacity for LG). Anyway, to cut a long story short, for the last 3 months she worked there her and several other foreign workers were not paid. There appears to be no good reason why this happened other than the fact the Korean supervisor at the factory seemed to take an intense dislike to any non-Koreans who worked there. Despited repeated efforts to get their wages from the people concerned at the factory, all their efforts were in vain.

Just posting this to see if anybody can offer any suggestions about what would be the best way to proceed with this problem. An expensive lawyer is probably out of the question as these women who work on the factory line dont exactly make megabucks. I suggested the labor Board to her but I'm not sure if that is the appropriate route for non E2 foreigners.

Can anybody who has perhaps had experience in these matters offer any suggestions? Would be most grateful.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The labor board is the choice to deal with unpaid wages and if they need assistance the migrant workers center or the Seoul help center are probably the best options for extra help getting read to deal with the labor tribunal.

They do NOT need a lawyer.

http://www.moel.go.kr/english/main.jsp

http://www.migrantok.org/english/viewforum.php?f=114&sid=c85c0bb4eef9b2cbfb75f9fcf7eb9ee6

http://global.seoul.go.kr/

falco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated ttompatz. I'll pass those links along to her.
bobbyhanlon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get your friend to round up a few of her old co-workers, get their stories together, and talk to the hankyoreh or kyunghyang shinmun newspapers.
oppa637

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a large company as thus to not pay seems odd. Sounds like we are not getting the full story. Plus, who works for 3 months for free? After the first month, they just kept going to work, not for 2, but 3 months?
BigBuds

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oppa637 wrote:
For a large company as thus to not pay seems odd. Sounds like we are not getting the full story. Plus, who works for 3 months for free? After the first month, they just kept going to work, not for 2, but 3 months?

This sort of thing is way more common than you think.
falco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oppa637 wrote:

Yeah, it does seem odd on the face of it for a huge global company like Samsung to do something like this but as far as I'm aware, this is what did happen.

I know I certainly wouldnt wait 3 months before deciding to do something about it but my friend was given assurances that the money would come. Also she was terrified of losing her job and all the consequences that go with that. These guys are hardly privileged ESL teachers like ourselves.
oppa637

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know which branch of Samsung? It really couldn't be a money issue as the mother company will fund the other branches if they need it. I used to work for Samsung and now for Hyundai and I've never had such issues or even heard of them.

So does that mean currently, your friend is STILL working for them? With no pay?
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that does sound very strange. all the expat samsung guys i know are hitting the clubs buying tables every weekend. they are definitely getting paid on time.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
yeah that does sound very strange. all the expat samsung guys i know are hitting the clubs buying tables every weekend. they are definitely getting paid on time.

They are not 3D factory workers.

wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah. got it.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Samsung company wage problem Reply with quote

falco wrote:
I've got a good Thai friend...

Quote:
There appears to be no good reason why this happened other than the fact the Korean supervisor at the factory seemed to take an intense dislike to any non-Koreans who worked there.

Quote:
Despited repeated efforts to get their wages from the people concerned at the factory, all their efforts were in vain.

Quote:
An expensive lawyer is probably out of the question as these women who work on the factory line dont exactly make megabucks.

yeah i dont get it man all the expat workers i know snort lines of coke all nite somethings fishy here
falco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oppa637 wrote:
Do you know which branch of Samsung? It really couldn't be a money issue as the mother company will fund the other branches if they need it. I used to work for Samsung and now for Hyundai and I've never had such issues or even heard of them.

So does that mean currently, your friend is STILL working for them? With no pay?

Its the Samsung factory in Osan. They make several models of their latest handphones there, also make notebook PCs from what I understand.

Nope, shes not working for them anymore. She left at the end of Dec and is now working for LG.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those uppity foreigners, hah Rolling Eyes There's no foreinger whining in S. Korea. This isn't Kansas(Bangkok) anymore. Laughing I wouldn't put it past any Samsung manager to pull the no pay trick, heck people die working for Samsung and that's denied to the enth degree. At the lastest Samsung explosion employees were kept from telling their story to police(see Hankyoreah).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: