Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is My Resume Too Technical?? (+ other questions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Is My Resume Too Technical?? (+ other questions) Reply with quote

I am graduating with a Bachelors of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering. My resume was created for the sake of getting engineering jobs but since the recruiter asked to upload a resume I just uploaded this with my actual personal info without changing the actual content. Should I gear it toward stuff I did while working with people? There are some stuff that I worked with people that is on the resume but I am not sure if I should take out technical stuff like working with engineering drawings, CAD, etc.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8783/resumea.jpg

UPDATED RESUME: http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1518/resumew.jpg

Also should I get just the 100hr TEFL course certificate or is it better if I invest more money into doing a 100hr + 20 hr in class? Does it help my chances of finding a job?

Last edited by Nano on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to properly answer you until you tell us what kind of job you are looking for. You can get hired without any training for the typical E2 visa.

Are you looking to skip ahead and try to get a college position or work at a private school which would have requirements if you lack experience?

Again, what kind of job are you looking for? They aren't all the same.
Nano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
There is no way to properly answer you until you tell us what kind of job you are looking for. You can get hired without any training for the typical E2 visa.

Are you looking to skip ahead and try to get a college position or work at a private school which would have requirements if you lack experience?

Again, what kind of job are you looking for? They aren't all the same.

Teaching English in a Korean public school (elementary/middle/high) in any metropolitan city.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, way too technical. If I were you, I'd get my resume to one page. One or two bullet points per job is enough, and keep them simple. Your readers are going to be both non-native English speakers and non-technical.

Also I'd highlight that my degree is a four year bachelors degree. Honestly, that your degree is from UoT is your best selling point.
Nano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so I cut quite a bit out and tried to word it better.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1518/resumew.jpg

Would this be acceptable?

Also could someone please answer my other question about TEFL certification?

Thanks!!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nano wrote:

Thanks!!

If you want a hagwon job then a TEFL isn't needed.

If you want to work in a public school, starting with the fall 2013 intake, then you need a 100 hour TEFL with a MINIMUM of 20 hours of in-class time (60 hours if you want to work in Busan).

Nano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Nano wrote:

Thanks!!

If you want a hagwon job then a TEFL isn't needed.

If you want to work in a public school, starting with the fall 2013 intake, then you need a 100 hour TEFL with a MINIMUM of 20 hours of in-class time (60 hours if you want to work in Busan).

60 hours for Busan??

Can you please link me where you are getting this information from?

Do you know any places I can get this 100hr + 60hr in class TEFL certification from?

Thanks
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nano wrote:
60 hours for Busan??

Can you please link me where you are getting this information from?

Do you know any places I can get this 100hr + 60hr in class TEFL certification from?

Thanks

Direct from the EPIK website:
What's new
bulletin 234, dated 2012-8-1, "Policy Preference for TEFL/TESOL Certificates"

http://www.epik.go.kr/
[quote='EPIK"]In recent terms, the application process has gradually become more competitive. At this point, it is almost impossible for level 3 applicants to secure a position with the EPIK program. As such, the most common way for level 3 applicants to increase their qualifications would be to enroll in a TEFL or TESOL course.

Currently, we accept a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL certificate as a qualification criteria for level 2 or higher pay grade, regardless of how the course was taken. However, starting from the Fall 2013 term, when we recommend candidates to the POE/MOEs we will give a priority to the applicants possessing a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL with at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component, as opposed to those who only completed a strictly online course. We strongly advise you to take the TEFL or TESOL programs including at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component. However, Busan will only acknowledge TESOL/TEFL certificates that contain at least a 60 hour offline, in-class component. This decision was made to meet requests from the POE/MOEs and schools who wish to have the most qualified Guest English Teachers possible.

Thank you for your cooperation. [/quote]
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol at someone with a degree in Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering looking to teach entry-level English Laughing
Nano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Lol at someone with a degree in Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering looking to teach entry-level English Laughing

lmao. I worked as an engineering intern for a year after my 3rd year. Engineering isn't for me.
Jodami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely cut it to one page.

Name of university, starting and finishing years and major should suffice for the education section.

99% of what's on there won't be read by any prospective employers here in Korea.
Nano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, does anyone know where I can get a 100 hr online + 60 hr in class TEFL certification in the Toronto area? I've looked found 100 + 20 and another site doesn't have anything in Canada.
Charlie Bourque

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nano wrote:
Thanks for the help guys, does anyone know where I can get a 100 hr online + 60 hr in class TEFL certification in the Toronto area? I've looked found 100 + 20 and another site doesn't have anything in Canada.

I'd get the CELTA if you:

1) live in Toronto;

2) are able to devote 4 weeks of full-time practice;

3) have ~$3000.00 to spend; and,

4) might do this for longer than a year or two.

Otherwise, go to the TESLCanada website and take a look at the list of online TESOL certificates.
Jodami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Bourque wrote:

I'd get the CELTA

Solid advice there.
nora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
Definitely cut it to one page.

Name of university, starting and finishing years and major should suffice for the education section.

99% of what's on there won't be read by any prospective employers here in Korea.

...but DO keep the old one handy. If you stick around a while, you could use a resume like that to get into a technical college. I have an AA in Welding Technology from my local community college, and that got my foot in the door for an interview at a tech college here a few years back. So yeah, definitely keep it simple now, but don't write off your entire engineering background - you can parlay it into something useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: