Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reference problem and red stamp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevieg4ever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reference problem and red stamp Reply with quote

I have a problem with one of my references. The co-teacher at my present school (Seoul public school) claims she doesn't have one of those red stamps to authenticate my reference letter. She did, however, sign the letter and has received calls for references. To the best of my knowledge every Korean has / is supposed to have one of these stamps.

I have a job waiting for me (I have the contract and will go to the immigration office on Monday) but the recruiter is saying that any reference letter from Korea must have a red stamp on it; either from the school or from the person who wrote it. I asked the school last Friday and they declined saying they could only provide one on the 'proof of employment' letter which they did that day.

I will ask another teacher at school tomorrow. My only other option is to plead with the principle / vice principle once again.

Is this stamp mandatory (ie required by immigration)? If anyone could shed some light on this or suggest what to do then i would appreciate it
that.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what "reference letter" you are talking about.

Korean employers, when they ask for the "reference letter" are usually referring to the certificate of employment (that verifies your prior work and is issued by the employer) as mandated by the labor standards act.

The employer is required by law to provide this.

stevieg4ever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the certificate of employments from my last two schools, called the
경력증명서.

The reference letter (추천서) is what i am talking about. The recruiter says they need two of these.

ttompatz wrote:
Not sure what "reference letter" you are talking about.

Korean employers, when they ask for the "reference letter" are usually referring to the certificate of employment (that verifies your prior work and is issued by the employer) as mandated by the labor standards act.

The employer is required by law to provide this.

Skippy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the DoJack was being phased out. What kind of visa is this for? Public school?

I suspect immigration would accept without one. Having one on a document likely satisfies officials and recruits. Sometimes they desire for having ALL that special red tape some documents need. Having the stamp just makes the decision easier for some people. "Oh look a red stamp! That is means I can stop reading."

Yet, I would suspect that a COE would trump a reference letter in government work.

Still good luck and keep us updated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: