Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discrimination against Asian Teachers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tramxlee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Discrimination against Asian Teachers? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am trying to apply as a first year teacher in Korea. I sent my resume and photo to countless recruiters. I even have all my documents ready upon their requests. After the initial informational emails, I don't hear from the recruiters again. One even told me that I should work with other recruiters instead.

I'm Asian American who can speak English fluently without an accent. I'm Vietnamese and because my husband is Korean, I have a Korean married last name so they assumed I have Korean heritage.

This whole process is overwhelming... If you have any information regarding recruiters or schools you know that won't discriminate, please let me know. Thank you in advance.
Tramxlee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrewchon,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I will make changes to my resume because I did note that I was Vietnamese and I was kind of smiling in my photo.

Although my husband is Korean, he's so Americanized, he doesn't even speak or understand Korean. On the other hand, I'm fluent in Vietnamese and I really want to learn Korean. I've been a paralegal for the past 6 years and would like a career change but I feel like I'm at a disadvantage compare to these new grads who are American.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tramxlee wrote:
Andrewchon,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I will make changes to my resume because I did note that I was Vietnamese and I was kind of smiling in my photo.

Although my husband is Korean, he's so Americanized, he doesn't even speak or understand Korean. On the other hand, I'm fluent in Vietnamese and I really want to learn Korean. I've been a paralegal for the past 6 years and would like a career change but I feel like I'm at a disadvantage compare to these new grads who are American.

If your passport and degree are American then for ALL intents and purposes when looking for employment in Asia YOU ARE AMERICAN (full stop).

Photo for your resume should be passport style, professionally dressed, properly groomed, head and shoulders.

Another option to look at would be a spousal (F6) visa if your husband is Korean (able to get either a Korean passport, reclaim his Korean citizenship (not American of Korean heritage)) and not subject to being drafted.

watergirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently it can be harder for Korean Americans (and I guess Vietnamese Americans) to get jobs BUT if you can get a F.. visa (people married to Koreans), there are a lot of opportunities for you!!

The Americans, even Korean or Vietnamese etc, with the F visa are often able to earn more money as they can do several part time jobs legally. One make more money this way, No one really controls your visa, and I find, the pt jobs are nicer as you're just there for a few hours so really, I've found, no one bothers you.

I have heard that they discriminate against the Vietnamese and Chinese but I know, 1 Mexican American and 1 Vietnmese Americans who worked for Public Schools and did very well.

So, recruiters I think, are the worst people to deal with. The employers will be nicer and won't ask for as much.
For public schools, try "korvia' recruiter as she knows of specific schools and seems ok although she told me to get unnecessary paperwork (all the recruiters are the demanding ones)
You could try merely to apply for the academies or schools who directly advertising themselves (much nicer usually than the recruiters).

By the way, being female and American, is sought after in the hierarchy of first choices.

good sites are this one, worknplay.co.kr, Hiexpat, and craigslist
watergirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get that F visa, also there MANy teaching jobs in companies to adults, where you can get paid 50 an hour. A women with a F..visa is rare so you could get a lot of work this way.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Tramxlee wrote:
Andrewchon,

If your passport and degree are American then for ALL intents and purposes when looking for employment in Asia YOU ARE AMERICAN (full stop).

Photo for your resume should be passport style, professionally dressed, properly groomed, head and shoulders.

Another option to look at would be a spousal (F6) visa if your husband is Korean (able to get either a Korean passport, reclaim his Korean citizenship (not American of Korean heritage)) and not subject to being drafted.

While that is technically true, the reality sometimes is that certain employers/recruiters will prefer caucasian applicants. This is far less true than a few years ago but it still happens.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attitudes are changing. There are quite a few Asian foreigners working in my town, more than there ever was before. I'd say they make up about 5-10% of the total number of foreign ESL teachers here.
Alum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woud suggest you post the names of the "discriminating" recruiters. I certainly would never use a recruiter who functioned in such a despicable manner! Actually, I'd Neve use a recruiter!
I'm With You

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
Tramxlee wrote:
Andrewchon,

While that is technically true, the reality sometimes is that certain employers/recruiters will prefer caucasian applicants. This is far less true than a few years ago but it still happens.

Real Canadians, and Americans, are White; preferrably green-eyed and blonde-haired.

All Koreans know that there's no such thing as a "Vietnamese-Korean-named-American"!

Not possible!
lulu7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tramxlee,

I am an australian born asian and I recently got offered a job with a major hagwon.

However, I had a similar issue to you. I contacted several recruiters but never even received first responses.

EXCEPT from one particular recruiter. JobTeach Recruiting are amazing, especially Roy or Angela. They contacted me straight away (this was back in Oct last year) and we skyped. Then because I mentioned I was interested in a position after xmas, they said to contact them again sooner to the date.
In the meantime I got offered a position with a hagwon, so I never contacted Jobteach. Then out of the blue, they contacted me again asking if I was still looking for a job.

They respond really quickly and actually find jobs when they say they will.
Alum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Canadians, and Americans, are White; preferrably green-eyed and blonde-haired.

What a pathetic bigoted statement!
flash viego

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was being sarcastic, or rather making a point about the bigotness of those hiring etc.
Alum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flash viego wrote:
He was being sarcastic, or rather making a point about the bigotness of those hiring etc.

I would hope so, but be careful mixing sarcasm and bigotry!
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foreign asians get held under more scrutiny than other ethnicities because koreans see them as koreans in general. this means more emphasis is placed on your looks than a white persons for example.

the better looking foreign asians do way better and have a much easier time here than the unattractive ones. the gap is there for other ethnicities as well, but not nearly as much.

Last edited by wishfullthinkng on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Racial Diversity Reply with quote

The lack of racial diversity is a bit of a problem here in this industry. However..there are some Asian, Latino, and African NA teachers in the south...teaching in the public school system.

As an idea...try EPIK.. taking with these teachers...they are very happy with their teaching experiences.

There are other places too..try them all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: