Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aclipse and CDL- advice sought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphabetspaghetti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Aclipse and CDL- advice sought Reply with quote

hello!

i'm in the process of a move to South Korea for a teaching position with Chung Dahm.
visa and everything was sorted out last year, had an offer for a job from CDL, accepted- my projected start date was due to be this month, but communication with the agency I used, Aclipse, although sometimes very helpful, was also very poor at times.

when I asked why I hadn't heard about a start date; they got back to me recently saying I had to re-do my video for my application material, some 5 months later (I had a friend film me as my laptop was being repaired when I was working on everything for the application, the delivery was great but the camera work was a little shaky at times).
it would of been nice to know this last year, instead of having to wait so long. I feel like i've had the run-around!

everything else seems ok, it just means I may be looking at a later start date. well, I hope so anyway!

is it worth contacting CDL directly for better clarification?
i'm signed up with them, so it could be worth a shot.

I just need to know where I stand basically.
this is taking a lot of effort- although I know it will be worth it in the end.

any help, advice or pointers would be much appreciated Smile
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very patient to wait for 5 months without word. Your papers are still valid? Jobs come open and get filled quickly in the private market.
If you're relying on recruiters, you need more of them looking for your job. If they're delaying for any reason then it means the school backed out or is looking for a better candidate. The one recruiter may be finding it difficult to land you something based on your videos.

You feel like you've had the run around because you've had the run around. You just need your name in more people's hands so if something opens up you can fall in faster than the next person. It's a numbers game and a timing game. Don't think you're signed up with anyone until you have a plane ticket.

You are free to try to contact the school directly, it won't hurt anything. But realise that schools use recruiters because the person doing the hiring can't speak English. It will cause a lot of confusion.

I want to ask everyone: are video requests getting more common? Are they asking for a simple introduction or going so far as a sample lesson?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDL/Chung Dahm? Does that have any connection to CDI?
tanklor1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDl (ChungDahm Learning)/ChungDahm are the same entity.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUN!
alphabetspaghetti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't be bothered to run atm.
I need to know where I stand first!

so, I emailed CDL/CDI/ChungDahm/etc... and I've emailed the recruiter.

it does feel that there wasn't much point in contacting the latter, however, in both emails I have included a forwarded email that I had from the recruiter which clearly states I was "offered a position" with ChungDahm and my application materials were successful.

... indeed!

my friend who has worked out in Korea with ChungDahm for many years, (through some other seemingly useless recruiter) is also guiding me now.

my main aim at this current time (I guess along with being more resourceful), is to see how the situation is with my papers.

according to the recruiter, they were sent over in December.

thanks for the info btw Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: