Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good hagwons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seoul_seeker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: good hagwons? Reply with quote

I noticed that there are SO many negative comments about hagwons all over the internet, but every once in a while, you get someone that says that they love their hagwon. I think that the negative comments help us steer clear of potentially awful jobs, but why don't people throw out positives? Why don't people say "I work(ed) for -insert hagwon here- and I love(d) it"? I feel like people are quick to throw their hagwon under the bus, but they don't give the good hagwons credit so that we (the people who are applying) know what hagwons to keep an eye out for.

So if you know of good hagwons, throw a few names out there Smile
Thanks!
IamCourtney

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poly Cheonan is a decent hagwon from what I've seen so far. We have 11 foreign teachers, and so far I know of 3 that are about to renew their contract. I think that's always a good sign. The directors are awesome, and the foreign teachers get a long well with all of the Korean teachers. Plus, everyone has said they have never had an issue with their pay. On the downside, the hours are long, but no school is perfect.
ibeattheborg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamCourtney wrote:
On the downside, the hours are long, but no school is perfect.

Yes, that's one of biggest "downsides" imaginable , so how in hell can you recommend that school.
IamCourtney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibeattheborg wrote:
IamCourtney wrote:
On the downside, the hours are long, but no school is perfect.

Yes, that's one of biggest "downsides" imaginable , so how in hell can you recommend that school.

It amazes me how rude some people are on this forum. Some people don't mind working longer hours if it involves them making more money.
ibeattheborg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamCourtney wrote:

It amazes me how rude some people are on this forum. Some people don't mind working longer hours if it involves them making more money.

True.

But for me, a 10-hour- day teaching English would burn some of my fuses.
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading Town Olympic Park was a great hagwon when I was there in 2006-07. Great hours, paid on time every time, pension, health insurance, perfect boss, great apartment, great kids, above and beyond airfare compensation, meals in great restaurants, and so on.

I really can't say a lot of good things about Wonderland Anyang. The only hagwon that I can think of that could possibly be worse is the one I read about where the boss threatened to make the female foreign teachers "work on their backs" during the nights and weekends to make up for flagging revenues. Shocked But there were even some good things about Wonderland, suprisingly. The kids there are mostly great and so are most of their parents. The staff is nice except when one or two vocally express Korean racial supremacy theories, but I think that happens at most hagwons, except for maybe Reading Town Olympic Park and also a lady friend's hagwon that she runs out of her apartment. I guess I had better not name the bootleg hagwon despite its greatness. Laughing
IamCourtney

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibeattheborg wrote:
IamCourtney wrote:

True.

But for me, a 10-hour- day teaching English would burn some of my fuses.

I don't work a 10 hour day. I work 11-8 M-F and I have an hour lunch. There are still plenty of things for me to do when I get off in my area. My schedule is actually pretty laid back, because half of my job is grading writing assignments, and the the other half is teaching. I only have four 40 minute classes on MWF, and no classes on Tu/Th.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good Hogwan" is an oxymoron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: