Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone familiar with the Gunpo public school system?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otherside

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Anyone familiar with the Gunpo public school system? Reply with quote

Has anyone taught in a public school in Gunpo? They seem to be running their own program, and I'd like to hear some feedback. Especially regarding their overnight camps.

I've recently accepted a "GEPIK" position in Gunpo.

I was under the impression it was a standard GEPIK position with a standard GEPIK contract. It turns out, they are running their own program (funded by City Hall), and have their own contract. For the most part, the contract is the same as a standard GEPIK contract, however a few clauses are different (most of which, are to the detriment of the teacher)

The housing allowance is 600,000. This is a major pro. Teachers in school provided housing may not benefit, but for myself who will have his own place, this translates to a 200k raise.

Here are some of the notable clauses:

Quote:
8. To conduct English camp program during each summer and winter vacation period.
which provides additional payment, 200,000won
① Cheong-Yang Youth Center Camp: To teach 8 hours total English conversation program per a day for 4nights 5days.
② If Employee is absent from the camp, Employer will reduce Employee's salary for 5 days and Employee have to work extra 2 weeks during the vacation.

An extra 200k is a nice thought, but for 5 days? And the penalty for being absent?

Quote:
④ In the event that the renewing Employee does not to travel to his/her home country, the Employer will pay 600,000won, which will compensate the airfare.
⑤ Employee who renew the contract of employment get the additional renewal leave for five (5) days(weekend and national holidays inclusive). Renewal leave must be taken during the vacation periods not conflicting with school schedules within six (6) months from the first date of the
renewal contract.
⑦ Upon the beginning of the contract renewal, the unused and remaining paid leave during the term of the preceding contract will be dissipated.

5 days, Kind of hard to go home for that amount of time, thanks to clause 7, harder to save up days for that. Additionally, while 600k is a nice thought, GEPIK offers the price of a return ticket (if one chooses not to go home)... not many of us can get a return ticket for 600k.

Quote:

④ In the event that the Employee who works fully until the end of the term of Employment does not to travel to his/her own country, the Employer will pay 300,000 KRW, which will compensate the airfare. But in the case of renewal, foregoing Article 10-④.

A nice touch, I suppose.

Quote:
① Employee shall complete orientation conducted by the Gun-po Education Board Institute or own school for Foreign Language Education immediately before the commencement of the Term of Employment provided under Article 5 hereof.
② The orientation period shall not be included in the Term of Employment as under Article 5. Thus, Employee will not be entitled to any compensation.

Lastly, the housing deposit has increased from 900k (GEPIK) to 1,05m... Must be inflation. Would be nice if salaries were raised 15% too..
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: A bit risky... Reply with quote

They might take a gun...and po you with that contract in Gunpo.

What is you get sick during camp? I never had to pay a deposit for my accomodation. How come u r getting only 600k instead of 2M for renewal?

Teach 8 hrs a day during winter camp...I taught only 2.

Dissapitaion of leave after 6mos from renewel?...

How long is the orientation? 1 hr, 1 day 1 week, 2 weeks or 1 month?

If the latter...it would suck....

600K for a return ticket is low.

Why does Gunpo choose to do their owm thing with city hall instead of going with the rest of the region.

I wouldn't take that deal...if you do...I wil gun and po you myself in Gunpo.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

On a serious note....if that is your only option...take it...but be informed that there are better options out there....and you don't always have to hang out in Seoul or Busan.
Otherside

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A bit risky... Reply with quote

Soldier wrote:
They might take a gun...and po you with that contract in Gunpo.

What is you get sick during camp? I never had to pay a deposit for my accomodation. How come u r getting only 600k instead of 2M for renewal?

GEPIK doesn't really give an allowance like EPIK. Usually it's just a re-imbursement. If I were to take the flight home, it would work out to the same thing

Teach 8 hrs a day during winter camp...I taught only 2.

Yup, That's what I'm worried about... with an overnight camp, could be 12 hour days with 8 hours of classes. And the Penalty for missing the camp is pretty big, hence I'm asking for feedback from those who've done it

Dissapitaion of leave after 6mos from renewel?...

Yup...use it or lose it, not the end of the world, but not a positive thing, that's for sure

How long is the orientation? 1 hr, 1 day 1 week, 2 weeks or 1 month?

I've asked, waiting on the reply. Especially as I've done orientation before, I'm not too keen on spending a week unpaid.

If the latter...it would suck....

600K for a return ticket is low.

Why does Gunpo choose to do their owm thing with city hall instead of going with the rest of the region.

Me neither, came as a bit of a surprised

I wouldn't take that deal...if you do...I wil gun and po you myself in Gunpo.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

On a serious note....if that is your only option...take it...but be informed that there are better options out there....and you don't always have to hang out in Seoul or Busan.

Thanks, in my case I do need to be in Seoul or within spitting distance.
As for better options, not as easy to find as you'd think based on my criteria, and for a public school job, it offers one of the highest salary levels (if one counts the larger housing allowance, which I do).

Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Ok...2 cents worth... Reply with quote

You are welcome...I'm glad to give you my 22 won's worth.

I think you have made up you mind...I hope that in the end you will find a happy teaching experience...wherever you go..sometimes I find very difficult to determine in the beginning of a teaching post.

Best of luck to you Otherside!!!!
davehere22

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing about working for gunpo is the camps. Though my camp got cancelled this winter, so not bad.

I did the camp back in the summer. Its down the country near boryeong..in the hills. nothing around. sharing wood cabins with 2 or 3 other teachers. not much work, so its very boring.
But theres about 13 or 14 teachers so you can have a bit of fun
but i'd much rather be able to go to my own house in the evening.

there really is about 2 hours maximum of teaching in the day.
and about 2 or 3 teachers teaching a class of 10 (max).
classes can be spread out a little tho. one in the morning, one at 6pm..

The 600,000 is if you dont take the plane ticket. They provide a full refund of your ticket, no problem. (i've just given in my receipts the other day) i'll get the refund this month.

I had no orientation. I heard some people went but i'm not sure. Maybe because I was already experienced.
The only thing that came close to orientation (and were labelled for new teachers) was some open classes...

They give 600 for housing , thats good. I use it.

I still have to pay the deposit..1,050 total over 3 months (first year) I get it back when I leave the school. I tried not to pay it..
but rules are rules....in schools

I get an extra 5 days to go home between contracts, and extra unpaid time off if i need it.

It all depends on the school your going to work at. Talk to the teacher at that school at the moment.
Otherside

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback davehere22.

I guess I'll be sharing a cabin with you this summer ^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: