Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone else noticed this, too?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautilus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peripheral Refraction in Different Ethnicities
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, May 2009

The prevalence of myopia has increased dramatically over the past decade and substantially higher prevalence rates have been repeatedly documented in the East Asian1�5 compared with the white6,7 population. There appears to be a higher risk of development of myopia in individuals of East Asian ethnicity, in Asia and elsewhere.6,7 The age of myopia onset is becoming younger3 and faster progression rates have been associated with earlier age at onset
http://www.iovs.org/content/51/11/6059.full
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just picked up the donut, the tongs, and the tray off of the floor, put them onto the donut case and got a new donut onto a new tray with a new set of tongs.

It wasn't worth saying anything over a donut then and receive a lecture on how this isn't my country. I already know I'm not Korean, so it would've been a waste of breath.

Wow! You're a far calmer man than I. I would have lost it and started yelling at her.
highstreet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
highstreet wrote:
A woman knocks your tray of donuts off the counter and you didn't say anything?

I just picked up the donut, the tongs, and the tray off of the floor, put them onto the donut case and got a new donut onto a new tray with a new set of tongs.

It wasn't worth saying anything over a donut then and receive a lecture on how this isn't my country. I already know I'm not Korean, so it would've been a waste of breath.

You should have said something. Koreans hate rude behavior just as must as everyone else. IME, they just aren't likely to say something to the person directly. Every time someone tries to cut in line, I say in a loud voice while tapping them on the shoulder, "go to the back of the line" in English and they just say ok, ok.
EZE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't regret how I handled the situation at Dunkin Donuts, but I do regret how I handled the other two situations. Yesterday, I took seats that weren't close to the young women who acted like Mudwrestlers in Audrey Hepburn costumes. I will do things differently in the future.

If an older lady, a mother with children, a pregnant lady, or a handicapped lady pushes me out of the way, that's fine. That's easily overlooked. But of course, that never happens. It's always the young women. So anymore, when these young women push me out of the way to take a seat, I won't contest the seat. It's only a seat and they can have it. However, I will sit in the adjacent seat even if there are only two or three people on the entire bus or subway car.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a big reason is that the consequences here are so small for bumping into someone whereas back home the consequences are quite significant if you significantly bump into someone and they are much more likely to be very agitated.

If you did accidentally bump into someone back home it would be a big apology scene (assuming the people are nice, most cases) or it would escalate big time. Here it may be a glance or a muttered comment but things just go on, though not always.

I dunno, on the one hand its nice that if you bump someone here, terms like "invasion" aren't used, on the other hand it would be nicer not getting bumped at all, especially considering the number of lattes everyone seems to be always carrying. I'm surprised with the coffee boom there hasn't been much in the way of change to prevent someone's caramel macchiatto from spilling all over someone else's LV bag.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
I think a big reason is that the consequences here are so small for bumping into someone whereas back home the consequences are quite significant if you significantly bump into someone and they are much more likely to be very agitated.

Yeah, nice try. "It's not about Koreans being mannerless. It's all about the consequences of bumping into someone. Koreans are no ruder than anyone else." Nonsense. They walk like they drive - with complete disregard for anyone outside their bubble. Pure selfishness. Most Western people will stop and apologize if they bump into a ten year old. How was that one going to escalate?

Same old apologetic nonsence. I've even heard Gyopos say that people don't bump into each other in other countries because a) the Japanese carried swords and b) Americans carry guns....Oh, silly me. I forgot the whole world was comprised of Korea, Japan and the United States.

Damn those Japanese and their swords.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Yeah, nice try. "It's not about Koreans being mannerless. It's all about the consequences of bumping into someone. Koreans are no ruder than anyone else." Nonsense. They walk like they drive - with complete disregard for anyone outside their bubble. Pure selfishness. Most Western people will stop and apologize if they bump into a ten year old. How was that one going to escalate?

Same old apologetic nonsence. I've even heard Gyopos say that people don't bump into each other in other countries because a) the Japanese carried swords and b) Americans carry guns....Oh, silly me. I forgot the whole world was comprised of Korea, Japan and the United States.

Damn those Japanese and their swords.

Dude, what in my comment was "apologist"? I was saying that the lack of a big reaction causes more accidents, similar to the lack of traffic enforcement (a reaction) causes more traffic accidents. Not having much of a reaction to getting bumped may smooth things over at the moment but it does lead to the present situation.

In other words, I am saying exactly what you are saying, just not in terms that confer hate on another group of people, just...irritation and explanation.

Driving is getting better here. Why? Because people started to turn car accidents into a lawsuit game. Now everyone is getting black boxes and things are better than before. Likewise, if you get a few more lattes spilled and people burned and property damaged and get some lawsuits, you might see a change in the bumping culture for the better.
atwood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:

My newest pet peeve (because everything except the bus comment is old hat) is when there is a set of doors that swing open that are both unlocked and yet everyone insists on going through one door. This door is invariably the one I was planning to use. I've begun yelling (in English unfortunately) at groups about how there are two doors and pushing the other one open.

I probably sound like a lunatic. Laughing

How about when you open the door and everybody going the other way starts stepping through like you're the door man?

The good thing about this type of behavior is you can usually go to the unused door and just walk past all the people trying to fight their way through the other door.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:

My newest pet peeve (because everything except the bus comment is old hat) is when there is a set of doors that swing open that are both unlocked and yet everyone insists on going through one door. This door is invariably the one I was planning to use. I've begun yelling (in English unfortunately) at groups about how there are two doors and pushing the other one open.

How about when you open the door and everybody going the other way starts stepping through like you're the door man?

The good thing about this type of behavior is you can usually go to the unused door and just walk past all the people trying to fight their way through the other door.

And then you look like a genius while they're all struggling with the one door opening.

As for the bumping thing. I spent two weeks in NYC last fall. One bump, and an apology followed. But I did notice more confrontations around me. One woman cut in line and was berated for 20 mins by those around her.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
If they are engrossed in their smartphone [...] they aren't being deliberately rude.

Uh. Walking around in public with your face in your phone is rude. Maybe not deliberately rude, but certainly rude.

EZE wrote:

Hmm. I think instead of assuming you're going to get a lecture on how you're not Korean, just toss the dirty doughnut on top of the ones she's buying and walk off (or stick around and enjoy the reaction, whatever).

Particularly if what fermentation relayed was true, if this is just people trying to see what they can get away with, then you're playing along perfectly with the dumb broad's expectations.

To be fair, I wouldn't know how to react to a situation like that myself. Things I'm used to, I react accordingly. But knocking your crap off the counter so her order is first? That's a new one. Confused

atwood wrote:

Indeed.

Sometimes I get cut off from the other door, though.
atwood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
atwood wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:

And then you look like a genius while they're all struggling with the one door opening.

As for the bumping thing. I spent two weeks in NYC last fall. One bump, and an apology followed. But I did notice more confrontations around me. One woman cut in line and was berated for 20 mins by those around her.
f
I'd say rather that they are befuddled, probably thinking it's some kind of foreign Jedi mind trick.

As for NYC, "Hey, I'm walkin' here! I'm walkin' here!" People don't put up with much in the Big Apple.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

I spent two weeks in NYC last fall. One bump, and an apology followed. But I did notice more confrontations around me. One woman cut in line and was berated for 20 mins by those around her.

I'll wager that she doesn't cut in line again. Laughing

The threat of consequences promotes better behavior.
F5Waeg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One waeg's insight into Koreans being more touchy feely

edited for grammar

Last edited by F5Waeg on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F5Waeg wrote:
One's waeg's insight into Korean's being more touchy feely

You never answer the question about elevators, quickly sequeing into how getting drunk and pawing others is how Koreans express friendship, instead of like good neighbors in the U.S., lending a hand when it's needed, putting one's trash out and not in the hallways and not making as much noise as possible at all hours of then night.

Poor apology of a post.
F5Waeg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Lol at reading fail.

I know, I know. It is much more nourishing to let that anger boil over. That passes around your fifth or sixth year, returning periodically when you spend too much time reading the newspapers. Enjoy your stay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: