Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting renewed at a public school....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Getting renewed at a public school.... Reply with quote

My contract is not expired until late August/early September BUT my contract says that I must indicate my desire to renew 4 months before the contract expires. That means late April/early May, which is soon approaching.

There has been zero conflict and zero problems at the school for me. BUT my co-teacher often gives me teaching suggestions and she sometimes acts like I don't have a clue how to teach. If I were a rookie in Korea I would be annoyed by this but now (I understand Korean culture) I sincerely appreciate the advice. She is 50'ish and has been teaching for a long time, she is also probably filling the ajumma role (to some extent at least as she has a son that is my age).
She has told me, more than once "you are very kind and I like your attitude but I'm trying to help you to improve your lesson structure and teaching style".

The only awkward moment I have had with her was when I gave her a 20 000 won gift certificate for a department store as a Christmas gift and she refused to accept it.

My principle is a tad stand offish towards me but that's probably because she is self conscious about her English.

My principle will remain the same BUT I will be getting a new Korean co-teacher at the beginning of March.

I wonder:

1) Will it be the new co-teacher who decides if I stay or not?

2) Will it be the principle who decides?

3) Is there already likely a concensus about weather or not they want me to stay?

4) Is it best to make it clear that you want to stay or to just follow the rules on the books (indicate my desire to stay/fill out the form etc....) and play it cool/casually assume the renewal???

I really like my school and I don't want to have to job hunt and move again if I can avoid it.

Thanks for reading!!!

Advice appreciated!!!
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder:

1) Will it be the new co-teacher who decides if I stay or not?

2) Will it be the principle who decides?

3) Is there already likely a concensus about weather or not they want me to stay?

4) Is it best to make it clear that you want to stay or to just follow the rules on the books (indicate my desire to stay/fill out the form etc....) and play it cool/casually assume the renewal???

I really like my school and I don't want to have to job hunt and move again if I can avoid it.

Whether! (I�ll let your spelling of consensus go) Razz

To answer your questions:

It will be a combination of your new CT/ Principal and the people you work with. Or your Principal will just do it. Or your new CT will have to do it. Depends on your school and ultimately your P!

Your old CT will have no say, unless you've had a BAD relationship with her/caused probs. That would maybe stick in the principal's mind.....

If I were you I�d say nothing..... Form a new GOOD relationship with your new CT and then casually mention it 2-3 months before your contract is up.

The MoE usually sends out an intention to renew form first. You check one of the boxes... Then about a month later your school fills out an evaluation form, if you get over 70-80% in that you get a new contract (assuming there is money in the budget for you!).....
waynehead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're in a good situation and doing a good job, you probably have nothing to worry about. The only thing might be that often people drag their feet a little bit on getting paperwork done, you might be ready to re-sign and do all the visa renewal stuff way before they're ready too (not because of anything against renewing you, just b/c they're busy with other stuff that gets prioritized). I've worked at my public school for four years and every year I have to remind them over and over again that I need to do renewal stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: