Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Teachers Have To Pay Rent In Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Do Teachers Have To Pay Rent In Korea? Reply with quote

One thing that attracts me to Korea is that it is much cheaper than Japan: you usually don't pay rent or key money. But I noticed that GEPIK public schools are taking 300,000 won from people's salaries, "for security." How does this work out?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what it is, a security deposit. They've been doing that for quite some time now. I got mine back on the last two apartment.

What I got screwed on for the last apartment was the key money. There was no money budgeted for GET housing key money starting in 2012. Of course, nobody thought it would be a good idea to tell anyone who would actually be affected by such a change in the budget.

Last edited by CentralCali on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Teachers Have To Pay Rent In Korea? Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
you usually don't pay rent

But you have to pay an "apartment maintenance fee" (a hidden fee) that could be $100 or more a month. Your employer will not cover this. Not sure about how much it is for most people.

Public schools deduct 900,000 to prevent you from leaving mid contract. Sucks, because inflation means that money is worth less when you get it back. Same with having to wait six months to get the flight money (which I heard is now the case for EPIK).

From what I heard, public school jobs are tough to get these days (depending on your gender and ethnicity- females and gypos are preferred).

But I guess check out both countries. Some people are making and saving good money in Japan...BUT it is harder to get into. Jobs are harder to get there maybe; many people want to go there.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Do Teachers Have To Pay Rent In Korea? Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
wonkavite62 wrote:
you usually don't pay rent

But you have to pay an "apartment maintenance fee" (a hidden fee) that could be $100 or more a month. Your employer will not cover this. Not sure about how much it is for most people.

Did your contract stipulate that you had to pay that in addition to gas, water, and electricity? It's dodgy and I doubt if public schools charge that. Hogwans, I almost sort of would expect it for some reason
ontheway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The monthly "maintenance fee" is a standard utility cost in Korea charged for condo dwellers and many apartments. Public school teachers as well as hogwan employees pay it, unless you happen to get one of the rare apartment units where no such fees exist.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ what he said.

wonkavite62 wrote:
One thing that attracts me to Korea is that it is much cheaper than Japan: you usually don't pay rent or key money. But I noticed that GEPIK public schools are taking 300,000 won from people's salaries, "for security." How does this work out?

It is a security deposit on the apartment.
IF you leave it properly and pay all your bills you get it back.
If you give proper notice to terminate early you get it back.

If you leave owing money (utility bills, unpaid airfare if you quit early, etc) they will use the deposit to pay your bills and send you what is left.

It is no different than a security deposit at home.

PREEST

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer; You get that money back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: