Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Koreans Out Of Their Usual Element Ignoring You
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hiamnotcool



Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why the threads about foreigners in Korea feeling cast aside and "butthurt" never end. It's interesting. It must be the foreigners though. Must be us.


Not only us. Also them. But not only them. You get native habits and attitudes combined with our attitudes.

Some Koreans interact with us and get butthurt that we don't pull out the red treatment and the royal carpet for them and expect them to go with the flow when hanging out with us. Likewise, when we live in their country that we shouldn't expect to be warmly greeted every time we step out to Family Mart.

And again if everyone DID warmly greet them, people would complain about not being able to be left alone when walking down the street. Seriously, wait 3-6 months for the next wave of newbies and there will be some thread where someone complains about not being able to walk down the street in peace.

Koreans go right, people scream they should go left. Koreans go left, people scream they should go right. And if Koreans go straight, people scream they should go in reverse and do a u-turn, then make a left and then a right.

Stop worrying so much about how they are supposed to be treating you and worry about how you're supposed to be treating yourself.


Yeah some people would complain if they said hi, but you need to stop pretending like the same person is making all these posts. It's like you created an imaginary foreigner that is making a bunch of contradictory claims here. The OP isn't even complaining, just asking if there is some cultural reason that this is happening. I disagree that this type of thing happens to the same extent here as it does in other countries. There is a clear division between the locals here and the foreigners. Koreans acknowledge this. Almost every person I have met here that isn't Korean, including other Asians, acknowledge this. A lot of Koreans don't want anything to do with foreigners. I know exactly what the OP is talking about. So unless you have some advice to the OP as to WHY this is happening, maybe you need to stop calling people "butthurt" because they are a little annoyed at the way some Korean people treat them like they aren't human.


You can have different divisions within countries. People from the south or black folks in America regard some midwesterners and northerners as cold and unfriendly. When making introductions and greetings they feel that they are being mistreated.

Some people find it odd that in suburbia people who are next door neighbors don't even know each others' names. They would regard such things as "not treating them like they are human", but that doesn't mean that that is the case.

I think it is very dangerous to start throwing around phrases like "not treating them like they are human" when clearly there are different expectations of social interaction that can exist within communities. In Korea you can get vastly different treatment depending on whether you are in a big city or a small town. Also, that fails to account for individual's personalities. Some people are cold, some are not.

Lastly, we should consider the possibility that the OP is a socially awkward dunce or a creeper. Maybe the OP has a reputation for engaging in unseemly behavior. A bunch of other posters have mentioned that they get the opposite treatment.

Personally, I've seen both. Furthermore, I didn't take issue with the OP's post specifically but those that are upset by not being greeted. The OP asked a genuine question. Some chose to make value judgments.

As for "butthurt" and "contradictory" claims, yes, that does happen. You'll get a post like this and people will say "Our culture back home means that people are nice and friendly" and then when it comes to Koreans being overly friendly they say "Our culture back home respects people's space and free time and isn't smothering".

There's no "culture" with their thinking, there's just arbitrary judgment.


Nothing dangerous about saying that they are treating foreigners like they aren't human. That happens in every country. I'm sure I'm not the only foreigner here that has been treated like a dog before, and good luck convincing me those situations were just "misunderstandings". And nice, now let's just assume OP is a dunce or a creeper, let's blame him for any bad treatment he receives here. I guess in your eyes there is not reason a foreigner here should demand a tiny bit of respect from anyone because they were not born here. God forbid they actually ask if their coworkers are prejudiced against them, or even entertain that thought. He may just have a toxic work atmosphere where the head teachers don't like foreigners. That does happen here.

And I will repeat this. In some Hakwons the korean staff are actually forbidden from socializing with the foreign staff. This isn't even a secret at those hakwons. Given that that happens here, I don't think it is far fetched to assume his school may have a similar under the table policy. I mean geez man, Koreans aren't even trying to hide the fact that there is a significant part of their population that doesn't want anything to do with foreigners. I hear that from my Korean friends all the time. What is the big deal? Quit making these weird explanations that will only make the OP feel like their is something wrong with him/her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the only foreigner here that has been treated like a dog before


Yes, that is by individuals. The decision not to acknowledge the OP might be an individual decision.

Also, as I said, we don't know who the OP is and what their personality is.

From my experience, this sort of thing is not the norm, at least in small towns, in big towns or on really days people may be a bit colder and just smile and go on about their day.

Quote:
I guess in your eyes there is not reason a foreigner here should demand a tiny bit of respect from anyone because they were not born here. God forbid they actually ask if their coworkers are prejudiced against them, or even entertain that thought. He may just have a toxic work atmosphere where the head teachers don't like foreigners. That does happen here.


And God forbid someone suggests that the alleged "victim" might have something to do with it as well or that it might be a result of them living in a big city as opposed to a small town.

Quote:
In some Hakwons the korean staff are actually forbidden from socializing with the foreign staff. This isn't even a secret at those hakwons. Given that that happens here, I don't think it is far fetched to assume his school may have a similar under the table policy. I mean geez man, Koreans aren't even trying to hide the fact that there is a significant part of their population that doesn't want anything to do with foreigners.


This is the problem- You are jumping to conclusions and screaming racism when the issue may be professionalism. There could be a wide variety of reasons for having such a policy that may have nothing to do with "them being foreign".

What if one of your Korean staff was hanging around with the NETs and thereby getting improved language skill. So what? Who cares? But what if another Korean worker would also like to join but is not invited or welcomed because maybe they are older or the wrong gender or not as attractive or whatever. They may feel that that employee is getting an unfair advantage and that there are cliques forming in the workplace.

Maybe there have been prior incidents and problems that resulted from such interactions and that is why there are guidelines.

The point is that screaming "racism" and "culture" at every little thing, while allowing someone to vent and feel justified, may not be the correct explanation.

Quote:
Quit making these weird explanations that will only make the OP feel like their is something wrong with him/her.


But what if the OP really does have a bad case of BO? Saying "Nothing's wrong with you, it's all them" isn't going to help them now, is it?

Or maybe, just maybe, the Korean's he encounters are waiting for him to go up and say "hi". Maybe they're thinking "Why doesn't he say hi to me?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hiamnotcool



Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the only foreigner here that has been treated like a dog before


Yes, that is by individuals. The decision not to acknowledge the OP might be an individual decision.

Also, as I said, we don't know who the OP is and what their personality is.

From my experience, this sort of thing is not the norm, at least in small towns, in big towns or on really days people may be a bit colder and just smile and go on about their day.

Quote:
I guess in your eyes there is not reason a foreigner here should demand a tiny bit of respect from anyone because they were not born here. God forbid they actually ask if their coworkers are prejudiced against them, or even entertain that thought. He may just have a toxic work atmosphere where the head teachers don't like foreigners. That does happen here.


And God forbid someone suggests that the alleged "victim" might have something to do with it as well or that it might be a result of them living in a big city as opposed to a small town.

Quote:
In some Hakwons the korean staff are actually forbidden from socializing with the foreign staff. This isn't even a secret at those hakwons. Given that that happens here, I don't think it is far fetched to assume his school may have a similar under the table policy. I mean geez man, Koreans aren't even trying to hide the fact that there is a significant part of their population that doesn't want anything to do with foreigners.


This is the problem- You are jumping to conclusions and screaming racism when the issue may be professionalism. There could be a wide variety of reasons for having such a policy that may have nothing to do with "them being foreign".

What if one of your Korean staff was hanging around with the NETs and thereby getting improved language skill. So what? Who cares? But what if another Korean worker would also like to join but is not invited or welcomed because maybe they are older or the wrong gender or not as attractive or whatever. They may feel that that employee is getting an unfair advantage and that there are cliques forming in the workplace.

Maybe there have been prior incidents and problems that resulted from such interactions and that is why there are guidelines.

The point is that screaming "racism" and "culture" at every little thing, while allowing someone to vent and feel justified, may not be the correct explanation.

Quote:
Quit making these weird explanations that will only make the OP feel like their is something wrong with him/her.


But what if the OP really does have a bad case of BO? Saying "Nothing's wrong with you, it's all them" isn't going to help them now, is it?

Or maybe, just maybe, the Korean's he encounters are waiting for him to go up and say "hi". Maybe they're thinking "Why doesn't he say hi to me?"


No, it is not ALWAYS by individuals. I know of NETs that have been treated horribly by their schools and I know foreigners that are not NETs that have been treated horribly by other businesses. Actually, if you know any filipino nationals that work here as english teachers ask them about their treatment. It might be good sometimes, but the groups of filipinos I have met here were being treated terribly. Or ask just about anyone here that isn't white, especially if they are either a student or working in a factory or restaurant.

So what if there have been problems with foreigners associating with their Korean coworkers at a hakwon? I guess I'm not old fashioned enough to advocate segregation in that case like you are. It is the private institutions business if they want to do that, but if they choose to don't expect me to ignore that action and pretend like foreigners are not purposefully ostracized by some local people here.

I'm actually not screaming racism in this scenario. If you read my posts I have offered other explanations as to why they may be ignoring OP because there are plenty of other possibilities. I just have to reply to you because you had to come on here and say this was some tirade by "butthurt" foreigners as if we are exaggerating the situation. At the same time you acknowledge that some hakwon owners segregate their workforce...lol....in which case there would be absolutely no exagerration. That is what racism in action looks like.

Your experience may not involve this type of thing and honestly my experience usually doesn't either. I have friends of other ethnicities or friends that just ended up in a bad situation though. They experience stuff like this on a daily basis. Just offer some advice and move on, you come of as either naive or biased when you automatically assume a foreigner is "butthurt" when they need to vent about something they experience here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, it is not ALWAYS by individuals. I know of NETs that have been treated horribly by their schools and I know foreigners that are not NETs that have been treated horribly by other businesses.


And I know of NETs that have been treated wonderfully by their schools and businesses.

That means that its not the schools or businesses that are treating them poorly, but rather the individuals at those places making specific choices.

Quote:
Actually, if you know any filipino nationals that work here as english teachers ask them about their treatment. It might be good sometimes, but the groups of filipinos I have met here were being treated terribly. Or ask just about anyone here that isn't white, especially if they are either a student or working in a factory or restaurant.


Yeah, they ARE treated poorly and they aren't the most sympathetic when we cry about desk warming or screaming that because some museum sign isn't in English, it must be racism.

Quote:

So what if there have been problems with foreigners associating with their Korean coworkers at a hakwon? I guess I'm not old fashioned enough to advocate segregation in that case like you are.


Your reading comprehension sucks.

The point I was making in my post about that was that there may be other factors than racism for an employer to make rules regarding socialization and/or fraternization between the employees. Some of those reasons can make sense. They are not based upon racism but rather professionalism. As I illustrated in one example- if the NET group socializes with one of the coworkers but not the other, the other may complain to their boss that that gives the socializer an unfair advantage. The employer then has to make a decision.

Quote:
but if they choose to don't expect me to ignore that action and pretend like foreigners are not purposefully ostracized by some local people here.


The problem is that you, like so many posters do here, are looking at the result of things, not the cause. In some cases the cause might be resentment towards foreigners. In other cases it might result from very real concerns over professional policies and bureaucratic regulations.

And what about all the times we receive favorable treatment and attention? How about all the times we play the "foreigner card" and get away with things? Shouldn't that be taken in the balance as well?

Quote:
and say this was some tirade by "butthurt" foreigners as if we are exaggerating the situation.


A few people not walking over and talking to you in the citrus aisle = systemic racism.

Sounds potentially exaggerated to me.

The point is that there is not enough information to declare it racism. Racism is certainly a possibility.

As for the "Butthurt" part that is the under-30 entitlement "everyone must love me and accept my" phenomenon that has been pushed on us. What a crock of crap. And yes, even the US Embassy guidelines about teaching English in Korea mentioned the phenomenon of people coming here expecting to be revered and getting 'butthurt'.

So, just as there is evidence for racism, there is evidence for butthurtery.

http://seoul.usembassy.gov/t_cultural.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sluggo832004



Joined: 04 Sep 2010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few coworkers who literally dont ackowledge my existence.

Like they dont look at me, speak to me, and only will speak when they absolutely have to. Its funny yet kinda messed up at the same time.

One time at lunch there was one seat left by me at the cafeteria. This person went across the room to sit with the students. lol.

GEEZ!!!! Maybe they are so shy that it can be taken as rudness or stuck up possibly.

I bought bananas for all the teachers on the 3rd floor. This one coworker who also never speaks to me, was there as well. This (Im not gonna curse) "biscuit" decides to take a banana from the coworker who I gave it to and didnt even say Thank You. AHHHHHH!!!!! All i want is a simple Anyounghaseyo or a hello. Is it too hard to ask??? We dont have to be friends, just acknowledge that Im not a ghost and I exist in your world.!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hiamnotcool



Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:


Quote:
and say this was some tirade by "butthurt" foreigners as if we are exaggerating the situation.


A few people not walking over and talking to you in the citrus aisle = systemic racism.

Sounds potentially exaggerated to me.

The point is that there is not enough information to declare it racism. Racism is certainly a possibility.

As for the "Butthurt" part that is the under-30 entitlement "everyone must love me and accept my" phenomenon that has been pushed on us. What a crock of crap. And yes, even the US Embassy guidelines about teaching English in Korea mentioned the phenomenon of people coming here expecting to be revered and getting 'butthurt'.

So, just as there is evidence for racism, there is evidence for butthurtery.

http://seoul.usembassy.gov/t_cultural.html


I think you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I said there was evidence for racism. I didn't say it was 100% unquestionably racism. His school may just have some socially awkward employees or it may have a racist administration. No telling, but both are possible. And people that work with a racist administration don't need a self righteous person like yourself calling them "butthurt" for being treated like they aren't human.

I did find it amusing to read your defense of the segregation policy some hakwons have. You would have done will in the segregated south back in the day. I'm still not sure if you are really this naive or if you just have an unwavering bias against NETs.

I have no idea what your point was with the filipinos....they suffer worse racism so they must hate us for complaining about desk warming? How is that even relevant to this thread? You are just going off on random tangents now about how ESL teachers are entitled. You missed my point entirely. Maybe you were just trying to avoid addressing the fact that some institutions in Korea do practice discrimination and that would be evidence that OP's school might be one of them? I really don't know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did find it amusing to read your defense of the segregation policy some hakwons have. You would have done will in the segregated south back in the day.


You don't get it.

If you have an employee social gathering where all those involved are employees and some employees are welcome and some are not, as an employer you can forbid your employees from attending said gatherings.

It doesn't have to be about NETs vs. Korean teachers. It could be about drinkers and non-drinkers or Christian employees vs. non-Christian employees.

Say there had been a group of "drinkers" working at the Hagwon. Say they'd invite one non-drinker, but none of the other non-drinkers. Those in the drinking group were banding together to get better privileges and other workplace benefits because of that social group. The boss can't regulate what the drinkers do on their offtime, but he can say that the non-drinking employees should either all go or none go.

There are other, probably better reasons why such policies might arise.

It's not a defense of a segregation policy, its operating under the assumption that a person running an English hagwon might have other motives than "racism" for having such a policy.

Workplace cliques are actually a big deal and employers have to deal with them, at times imperfectly. This is especially true in something like foreign language instruction involving native speakers and their Korean counterparts. A clique of foreign teachers and those Koreans that are "in" isn't just about race, it's about access to training and has real professional consequences.

Put it this way, you can badmouth the policy, but who knows if it was you sitting in that chair? What if your Korean employees were complaining about cliquey groups getting formed and citing legitimate professional reasons why such cliques are damaging to certain parties. Maybe you'd institute a strict socialization policy.

Remember, hanging out with foreigners in that kind of setting isn't just about "Racism" it's also about free access to English education that if they don't include the entire staff in, could be very well seen as biased.

Quote:
some institutions in Korea do practice discrimination and that would be evidence that OP's school might be one of them?


In order for an institution, using the word institution as you are attempting to use it, said policy would have to take place at all schools, not just one.

If that policy is true, and it is motivated from racism, then that would be an example of individual racism, not institutional racism.

Quote:
Maybe you were just trying to avoid addressing the fact that some institutions in Korea do practice discrimination and that would be evidence that OP's school might be one of them?


That's not evidence at all. Some hagwons pay their employees on time. That's not evidence that all hagwons do.

I could say "Some institutions in Korea don't practice racism. That's evidence that the OP didn't experience racism." That's nonsense.

This whole thing has gotten way beyond the original scope, which was that most of the people who complain about this kind of thing are just complainers in general. If the situation was the opposite, they'd complain about overly-friendly coworkers and being invited out too often to social events, complaints which happen just as much as being ignored or being excluded from social events.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, Steelrails is off rattling around in lala land, as usual, wrecking threads that speak negatively about Korea or habits certain Koreans might have. And, he's Korean... yet believes himself to be a 100% objective observer. What a ridiculous clown of a person. Every time I attempt to try on this "relativity" hat the apologists play off of, I just remind myself that the other Korea is full of likely the most brainwashed herd of people in the world... and they almost got this one too. It's unfortunate, but what's going on up there isn't something that could be established and prolonged for this amount of time in most places in the world. Sure, there are a lot of factors, but eh, Koreans...

Stop the nonsense. Most ADULTS at my school don't acknowledge me, won't even look at me and leave me hanging on annyeaonghasseos all the time. I just don't think that happens most places in the world. Most Korean men hate us. The women are waaay more open. But even some female teachers at my school will smile and say hello when no one else sees them, but won't if they're with someone else. It's ******* blatant that most of them act differently around us in social situations. Koreans aren't social people, it's a low trust society. I spend an hour on the subway each day, I've never seen two random people spark up a conversation. It does make it more special when someone isn't afraid to approach you and talk to you, or show that you're appreciated in some way. But it just don't happen a lot folks. Hermit kingdom. Put a stamp on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hiamnotcool



Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

This whole thing has gotten way beyond the original scope, which was that most of the people who complain about this kind of thing are just complainers in general. If the situation was the opposite, they'd complain about overly-friendly coworkers and being invited out too often to social events, complaints which happen just as much as being ignored or being excluded from social events.


You allowed it to get out of scope by shifting the focus on entitled NET's rather than racist Korean social cliques.

I wasn't talking about specific gatherings. I'm talking about a hakwon owner specifically saying that his Korean workers are not to hang out with his non-Korean workers outside of work...period. That is segregation. It says a lot about you that you support racial segregation. Separating people on race is not the same as separating people based on their drinking habits or religion. You seem to be a racist so I don't expect you to grasp this though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
highstreet



Joined: 13 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sluggo832004 wrote:
I have a few coworkers who literally dont ackowledge my existence.

Like they dont look at me, speak to me, and only will speak when they absolutely have to. Its funny yet kinda messed up at the same time.

One time at lunch there was one seat left by me at the cafeteria. This person went across the room to sit with the students. lol.

GEEZ!!!! Maybe they are so shy that it can be taken as rudness or stuck up possibly.

I bought bananas for all the teachers on the 3rd floor. This one coworker who also never speaks to me, was there as well. This (Im not gonna curse) "biscuit" decides to take a banana from the coworker who I gave it to and didnt even say Thank You. AHHHHHH!!!!! All i want is a simple Anyounghaseyo or a hello. Is it too hard to ask??? We dont have to be friends, just acknowledge that Im not a ghost and I exist in your world.!!!!!


If they don't acknowledge you, why would you care whether or not they made small talk with you? I'd personally find it a bit rude if a person that clearly didn't like me, attempted to chat with me every day just for the sake of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
isitts



Joined: 25 Dec 2008
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Koreans Out Of Their Usual Element Ignoring You Reply with quote

metalhead wrote:
I'm curious why some Koreans that you know, that you see on a daily basis, be it in the classroom, the 'bakery', the store -whatevs - totally ignore you when they see you passing by them on the street. Then, for example, the next day, treat you as usual (like, saying hello to you) when they see you back in their little shop.

Is it a culture thing? I swear I've made full-blown eye contact with them and they just look away (cue for someone to mention that I *obviously* was not wearing a suit and tie, how droll).

Is it a Confucius thing? The Taiwanese and Chinese don't do it, just wondering why a lot of (see, added the quantifier so no one gets angry) Koreans do.


My principal stone walled me a couple times when I passed him on the street and said hi to him. But in the school or at school functions, he was perfectly friendly.

With other teachers at the school or restaurant owners or coffee shop workers (of the restaurants and coffee shops I frequent), they often say hi to me if they see me outside establishments.

So I don't know. I imagine it could be a status thing. Maybe my principal can't be seen fraternizing with my sort in public. But I don't get that much from the other people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blm



Joined: 11 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some random guy said hello to me in the street.

His face was vaguely familiar so I spent most of the rest of the walk trying to remember who he was.

Eventually I realised he works at the family mart I used to get my Transport card topped up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wasn't talking about specific gatherings. I'm talking about a hakwon owner specifically saying that his Korean workers are not to hang out with his non-Korean workers outside of work...period. That is segregation. It says a lot about you that you support racial segregation. Separating people on race is not the same as separating people based on their drinking habits or religion. You seem to be a racist so I don't expect you to grasp this though.


ARGH, You aren't listening. WHY did your boss enact this policy?

If he enacted it because he dislikes foreigners, then the policy is racist. If he enacted it because some employees were getting free extra conversation practice and some are not, then it is not racism. Can you get that through your head? What was the reason for his policy?


Quote:
Again, Steelrails is off rattling around in lala land, as usual, wrecking threads that speak negatively about Korea or habits certain Koreans might have. And, he's Korean... yet believes himself to be a 100% objective observer.


Are you a completely objective observer?

Quote:
Stop the nonsense. Most ADULTS at my school don't acknowledge me, won't even look at me and leave me hanging on annyeaonghasseos all the time. I just don't think that happens most places in the world. Most Korean men hate us.


Strange you say this, because where I live all of us foreigners constantly talk with people, drink with them, play soccer and basketball, and take hiking trips together. Another surprise? Most of them are men.

Maybe its you? Maybe they see something in your attitude where you clearly don't respect them or care for their culture so maybe they don't care for you.

Quote:
Koreans aren't social people, it's a low trust society. I spend an hour on the subway each day, I've never seen two random people spark up a conversation. It does make it more special when someone isn't afraid to approach you and talk to you, or show that you're appreciated in some way. But it just don't happen a lot folks. Hermit kingdom. Put a stamp on it.


People on the way too or from work aren't very chatty? 7AM on the way to work and trying to wake up with a coffee and you're surprised they aren't chatty? What are you doing? Listening to music on your iPod? Real sociable there. Are you talking to them? If you aren't chatting up random people, how can you blame them for not doing the same? I took the bus all the time back home and no one talked to anyone unless something CRAZY happened. Same with the 'L' in Chicago. Other places are more chatty both back home and here. Baseball games are a great place to get chatty, the casino, bars, etc. I think in the subway's case most people are pretty tired and just use the time to zone out and go into their personal space.

If you want people to say "hi" to you in the grocery store, go up and talk to them. IF you want a random conversation on the subway, go talk to someone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hiamnotcool



Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
I wasn't talking about specific gatherings. I'm talking about a hakwon owner specifically saying that his Korean workers are not to hang out with his non-Korean workers outside of work...period. That is segregation. It says a lot about you that you support racial segregation. Separating people on race is not the same as separating people based on their drinking habits or religion. You seem to be a racist so I don't expect you to grasp this though.


ARGH, You aren't listening. WHY did your boss enact this policy?

If he enacted it because he dislikes foreigners, then the policy is racist. If he enacted it because some employees were getting free extra conversation practice and some are not, then it is not racism. Can you get that through your head? What was the reason for his policy?


Um, the reason for the policy is irrelevant if the people are separated based on race. That is racism. In this case the boss is separating his workers based on their race, yes that is racist. This is pretty simple.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hiamnotcool



Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Maybe its you? Maybe they see something in your attitude where you clearly don't respect them or care for their culture so maybe they don't care for you.



This is your entire argument in a nutshell. It's always the foreigner's fault. You may make a general statement like "some Koreans can be racist" but when it comes to specific cases you are always biased toward the Korean person. Any thread on here where someone asks for an explanation or reason will just be met with finger pointing from you. It's just another excuse for you to bash NET's as entitled problem children.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International