Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools and communal toilets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautilus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Schools and communal toilets Reply with quote

How many of you are lucky enough to have a separate private staff toilet?

or like me are you forced to endure a chaotic communal mosh pit- a tiny restroom shared with 200 screaming kids?

A couple of stalls with partitioning a foot off the floor, allowing kids to peek under it?

With lights situated on the outside of the room, so that any passing child may take great delight in plunging the waeguk teacher into darkness with impunity?

A chamber that basically acts as a giant amplifier, that echoes to the unearthly screams of a stampede of 10 year old boys every breaktime?

With even the door locks situated on the outside of the door, forcing you tohold the door closed all the while you are doing your business to prevent 101 people barging in?
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just sounds like your school has not gotten any money to renovate its washrooms or felt that the money could be better spent in other areas. Schools do update when they can.
Benjamino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share a bathroom with the students but it's very modern but a bit chilly this morning.

We have some cleaning company that come in once a week to blast water and disinfectant all over the place so it's fairly clean too.
waynehead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My public school has faculty restrooms. They're certainly better than the students' ones, but the male one can certainly stink depending on whether the janitor has gotten to it yet.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just hold off on No. 2 till you get home? Certainly they have urinals on the wall so you can take care of No. 1 with no problem.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separate bathrooms for staff? What are you a child-hating monster? The children should have 24/7 access to every inch of the school and should not be held to any level of respect for those inches. It is their area, us teachers are only guests blessed with their presence. And looking under the door, through the cracks and over the top while banging, shouting and screaming only means they 'love you'. Even giving a stern look after such egregious examples of disrespect, and frankly warning signs of personality disorders, is to be considered proof that you are not a good teacher. Why don't you love the students? As any of your co-teachers will tell you, Korean students respect teachers. They know this because they've read it in a book by an author who has never left the country, and has no conception of what actual respect is.

And that's why I go home at lunch to do my business. If I wanted 6 pairs of eyes on me while I get it done I would join some German fetish website.
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
Separate bathrooms for staff? What are you a child-hating monster? The children should have 24/7 access to every inch of the school and should not be held to any level of respect for those inches. It is their area, us teachers are only guests blessed with their presence. And looking under the door, through the cracks and over the top while banging, shouting and screaming only means they 'love you'. Even giving a stern look after such egregious examples of disrespect, and frankly warning signs of personality disorders, is to be considered proof that you are not a good teacher. Why don't you love the students? As any of your co-teachers will tell you, Korean students respect teachers. They know this because they've read it in a book by an author who has never left the country, and has no conception of what actual respect is.

And that's why I go home at lunch to do my business. If I wanted 6 pairs of eyes on me while I get it done I would join some German fetish website.

This is probably your best (and only) option if privacy is a prerequisite.
katsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my public school we had faculty bathrooms, but at the hogwons I worked at, I had to share it with the kids; which was quite eventful on numerous occasions
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the bathrooms are decent and not squatloos, why is it that important?
lemak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old public elementary school had supposedly segregated bathrooms for the teachers, but the W.Cs also had the misfortune to be located next to the kindergarten classroom....hence the little darlings who couldn't hold on for the 50 meter dash to the big kids' crapper would more likely than not race into the teacher's stalls. The state some of these kids would leave the bathroom in after leaving would put a public W.C in a Chinese refugee camp to shame. Pee all over the walls, urinal clogged with tissue, used poo paper in the sink, every couple of weeks a deuce would have been unceremoniously deposited in the middle of the floor.
This was hardcore Korean rice farming turf, the kind of school where kids would still ask for your autograph, hang out the window and cheer when the foreigner would arrive at the school, yet the flip side the teacher's absolutely refused to accept that the little dears could do any wrong, ever. I wonder to this day if the faculty still comment about the weird dirty waegookin who used to pinch loaves in the urinal and wipe bloody boogers all over the mirror.

For what it's worth I never used the kid's bathrooms. It was like Thunderdome in there.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
the kind of school where kids would still ask for your autograph, hang out the window and cheer when the foreigner would arrive at the school, yet the flip side the teacher's absolutely refused to accept that the little dears could do any wrong, ever.

At my school the kids would hang out the window and cheer and say hello, but the teachers never refused to accept that the little dears could do any wrong. Quite the opposite, the teachers knew the students very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: