Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NK threatens "final destruction"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoka

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: NK threatens "final destruction" Reply with quote

Good for them. They're finally switching around the language after years of rivers/ocean/sea of fire/ash metaphors.

----------------------------------------------

North Korea threatened South Korea with "final destruction" during a debate at the United Nations Conference on Disarmament on Tuesday, saying it could take further steps after a nuclear test last week.

"As the saying goes, a new-born puppy knows no fear of a tiger. South Korea's erratic behavior would only herald its final destruction," North Korean diplomat Jon Yong Ryong told the meeting.

Jon's comments drew quick criticism from other nations, including South Korea, France, Germany and Britain, whose ambassador Joanne Adamson said such language was "completely inappropriate" and the discussion with North Korea was heading in the wrong direction.

"It cannot be allowed that we have expressions which refer to the possible destruction of U.N. member states," she said.

Spanish Ambassador Javier Gil Catalina said the comment left him stupefied and appeared to be a breach of international law.

"In the 30 years of my career I've never heard anything like it and it seems to me that we are not speaking about something that is even admissible, we are speaking about a threat of the use of force that is prohibited by Article 2.4 of the United Nations charter," Catalina said.
comm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NK threatens "final destruction" Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
"In the 30 years of my career I've never heard anything like it and it seems to me that we are not speaking about something that is even admissible, we are speaking about a threat of the use of force that is prohibited by Article 2.4 of the United Nations charter," Catalina said.

Sounds like SOMEONE is about to get a strongly worded letter from the U.N., telling him how angry they are.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Russia and China remain silent enablers.
Kuros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
As usual, Russia and China remain silent enablers.

Enabling marginal stability punctuated by occasional empty threats.
Fox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NK threatens "final destruction" Reply with quote

Quote:
As the saying goes, a new-born puppy knows no fear of a tiger.

Who actually says things like that?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes envision people in the North walking around talking to eachother like that. It's make for interesting conversation.
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Death is the only inescapble, unaviodable, sure thing. We are sentanced to die the day we're born.

I think this quote is quite popular in the North!
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: NK threatens "final destruction" Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Quote:
As the saying goes, a new-born puppy knows no fear of a tiger.

Who actually says things like that?

하룻강아지 범 무서운 줄 모른다.
The expression is in the book Looking for a Mr. Kim in Seoul.
Fox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's also in my 고려대 한국어 속담 사전, but still, it's hard to imagine anyone actually saying it with a straight face. Most Korean proverbs are hard to imagine anyone actually saying, there's some really ridiculous stuff in here.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Yes, it's also in my 고려대 한국어 속담 사전, but still, it's hard to imagine anyone actually saying it with a straight face. Most Korean proverbs are hard to imagine anyone actually saying, there's some really ridiculous stuff in here.

Sure seems like North Korea still likes its chengyu. It's kind of like having that weird uncle who still wears overalls.

At least the somewhat relevant Chinese version talks about cicadas and mantises instead of puppies and tigers.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: NK threatens "final destruction" Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Good for them. They're finally switching around the language after years of rivers/ocean/sea of fire/ash metaphors.

When the pro-NK president Roh was in power, North Korea made more offensive words than this.

Anyways. It's very difficult to explain this. South Korea is by nature a masochist. It will always be a masochist in this geopolitical environment. South Korea needs to be mistreated in the diplomatic scene. Whether you like it or not, you can't change this truth.
falco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one solution to the North Korean problem as put foward by the author of 'The Aquariums of Pyongyang'.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/02/15/2013021501183.html

Probably will be unpalatable to most but its also what I've been saying for years.
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nod, you know, is as good as a wink to a blind horse. Say no more!

Know what I mean?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: NK threatens "final destruction" Reply with quote

NohopeSeriously wrote:
madoka wrote:

When the pro-NK president Roh was in power, North Korea made more offensive words than this.

Anyways. It's very difficult to explain this. South Korea is by nature a masochist. It will always be a masochist in this geopolitical environment. South Korea needs to be mistreated in the diplomatic scene. Whether you like it or not, you can't change this truth.

Weren't you the one who said there'd be no test?

As for the Aquariums of Pyongyang author, I met him a few times, and really like what he has to say on the issue. I hope he becomes a bigger voice on the topic.
Zackback

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smell a conspiracy.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/politics/AJ201302150067

LEFT IN THE DARK: Secret U.S. military flights carried officials, equipment to N. Korea

Senior U.S. administration officials held secret talks in North Korea on at least three occasions in 2011 and 2012, The Asahi Shimbun has learned.

Although the visits had potential implications for Japan, Washington did not inform its security partner at the time and only informally confirmed one of them when the Japanese side pressed, government and other sources in Japan, South Korea and the United States said.

The U.S. State Department even warned the Foreign Ministry against making further inquiries, saying they would harm bilateral relations, the sources said.

U.S. military planes flew from an air base in Guam to Pyongyang and back on April 7, 2012, and again on a longer visit lasting from Aug. 18-20, the sources said.

It is believed that those aboard included Sydney Seiler, director for Korea at the U.S. National Security Council, and Joseph DeTrani, who headed the North Korea desk at the U.S. Office of the Director of National Intelligence. DeTrani left the post in May.

They met with North Korean officials and discussed policies following the death of leader Kim Jong Il in December 2011.

The North Korean delegation included Jang Song Thaek, vice chairman of the National Defense Commission and husband of Kim Jong Il's sister. Jang is widely considered to serve as a mentor for Kim Jong Un, who succeeded his father as his nation's leader.

The Japanese government only learned about the flights after receiving reports from hobbyists monitoring activity at military bases and also analyzing air traffic flight plans.

When the Japanese side submitted an official inquiry, U.S. officials expressed frustration that the request had been made, citing the subject's confidential nature. The State Department warned Japan against inquiring further, saying Washington-Tokyo ties could be damaged.

The third visit that The Asahi Shimbun has confirmed is one that took place in November 2011. Sources said at least one military aircraft from the Guam air base loaded heavy equipment, including bulldozers, at Yokota Air Base in western Tokyo and flew to Pyongyang.

It is believed that the delegation included officials from the U.S. Pacific Command. They met with North Korean officials and discussed efforts to recover the remains of U.S. soldiers killed during the 1950-53 Korean War, the sources said.

When Japan inquired about this visit, U.S. officials unofficially confirmed that it had taken place, the sources said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: