Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

financial logistics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danniedoodles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: financial logistics Reply with quote

hi all. anything i have been able to find on this topic is somewhat outdated so i'm looking for more current information.

my questions are - what should i do about bringing my money to korea? should i convert it to won before i leave? after i arrive? at the airport? have someone in the states wire me my money once i open a korean bank account? i don't want to keep a us bank account open because i don't want to pay monthly fees for not depositing a certain amount per month.

also- i will be working in a public school and from what i have read here, it looks like i will have some type of credit card. any chance it has a visa or mastercard on it (student loan people told me i could easily pay my loans from korea if my bank card has a visa/mc logo on it). and if this is not the case - how have some of you gone about paying student loans?

i'm looking for best rate of exchange, obviously, for all of these options.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For as much as you will be bringing in, bring cash; nice, new, crisp Benjamins.

Exchange a couple hundred dollars at the airport in ICN when you land (so you have some local currency). You can exchange the rest at a local bank after you get settled.

DO NOT EXCHANGE / BUY WON OUTSIDE OF KOREA.

You are unlikely to have a credit card (getting much harder for E2s to get one without opening a security deposit first) but you can get a debit card that you can use for international, electronic transactions.

Bank wires are also easy enough to do as is sending money orders.

danniedoodles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ttompatz. i like how when i say i want to bring all my money - u assume thats a lot Sad lol depressingly - its not. but i will heed your advice. are the bank cards for international, electronic transfers visa/mc?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danniedoodles wrote:
thanks ttompatz. i like how when i say i want to bring all my money - u assume thats a lot Sad lol depressingly - its not. but i will heed your advice. are the bank cards for international, electronic transfers visa/mc?

I assumed it was at least $1000 (I wouldn't want to relocate abroad with much less in my pocket) and less than $3000 (so somewhere between 10 and 30 bank notes - not too big to fit into your front pocket).

Yes, the "international" bank cards are.
You have to ask for them or you will just get a domestic card when you open your account.

You can always get one later as well if you forget.

davai!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: financial logistics Reply with quote

danniedoodles wrote:
i don't want to keep a us bank account open because i don't want to pay monthly fees for not depositing a certain amount per month.

Keeping a minimum daily balance will eliminate those fees. Chase just bumped theirs to $1500. (was $1000)

Not a good idea to dump that account. You'll need it.
tran.huongthu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: financial logistics Reply with quote

davai! wrote:
danniedoodles wrote:
i don't want to keep a us bank account open because i don't want to pay monthly fees for not depositing a certain amount per month.

Keeping a minimum daily balance will eliminate those fees. Chase just bumped theirs to $1500. (was $1000)

Not a good idea to dump that account. You'll need it.

Keep the Chase account and keep the min. balance. You will need it to at least get your pension money for when you leave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: