Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

People want to be obese
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blockhead confidence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: People want to be obese Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Of course it can be centralized, but at the cost of the phenomenon of which you complain. You want a big corporation making your snacks? They are going to use food science to make you crave their snacks. You want to regulate them? They will capture your regulators with bribery (aka "lobbying"). The decentralization of the means of production is the best solution.

This will be a problem for any kind of centralization, won't it? Snacks are just having an immediate and obvious effect on us. Finance, for example, is famous for making complex products that consumers (and sometimes even the suppliers themselves) don't understand.

Quote:
If the choice is between being "condemned" to owning a small 떡집, or the drudgery of working on a factory line, which do you think they prefer? Unless you have a Star Trek-style replicator to share with us they are going to be doing some sort of work or another, and the alternative to 떡집 owner is unlikely to be especially glamorous.

In your vision, there is this network of local ddeok makers across a country, all making the same thing, and all because we as a society can't coordinate this at a national level. Seems like such a waste of resources.

Quote:
No, the trouble starts when large corporations, with profit margins in the millions of dollars, use a tiny fraction of said profits to hire food scientists with the goal of making their products habit forming. Small business snack shops generally do not have the profit margins to engage in such tomfoolery, which is why this has not historically been a problem.

So it's a difference of degree?

Quote:
Tell you what. You buy your Cheetos, I will buy my home-made 떡, and we will see who has to worry about the problem of which you complain and who does not.

Written like someone more at home in nineteenth century Korea.
Fox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: People want to be obese Reply with quote

Blockhead confidence wrote:
Finance, for example, is famous for making complex products that consumers (and sometimes even the suppliers themselves) don't understand.

Yes, and the results have been harmful to society and its citizenry in the long term. You're making my case for me here: centralization often has negative consequences.

"Progress" for the sake of "progress" is silly. You are here complaining about the results of the system you are defending. I am not complaining about the results of the system I am defending. When newer is worse, why on Earth should I support it?
Blockhead confidence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: People want to be obese Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Finance, for example, is famous for making complex products that consumers (and sometimes even the suppliers themselves) don't understand.

Yes, and the results have been harmful to society and its citizenry in the long term. You're making my case for me here: centralization often has negative consequences.

"Progress" for the sake of "progress" is silly. You are here complaining about the results of the system you are defending. I am not complaining about the results of the system I am defending. When newer is worse, why on Earth should I support it?

We can't centralize; it's wasteful to localize. If only there was something we could do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: